NME :How The Edge Saved Muse's Glastonbury Set

chudenk

Indeed, it's tempting to speculate whether or not Muse – the ultimate grandstanding, big-gesture rock act – could even have existed without U2.

Yes it's such a shame, without U2 there wouldn't have been music. Because of course all music originates from U2 doesn't it? :facepalm:

Meh, nice reviewer trying to stir up some attention.

"Fillip" What a song that was.. <3

Kind of the same old review, where the journalist hadn't fact checked or paid attention. In fact, I don't think he was paying attention to his own writing as he was composing. Fairly contradictory comments. Oh well, blog reviews are always aimed at inspiring readers to comment than informing them of news, but I do think it was cool how it worked out with that song. I think Muse did a good job at Glasto. :happy:

I've always had a like/loathe relationship with NME (not love/hate :LOL: ) They seem to pick apart the very bands they use to sell magazines. They'll slag off the Libs but when anything happens to put them on the cover they will. Muse must sell magazines - hell, I bought the NME special. :$ NME has been a source of amusement (and occasionally pictures) over the years. :p I could never take them seriously.

They were put on the short list by NMEmthough. The rest was indeed up to vote riggers.

I remember that even that nominations shortlist were voted by readers. So... i think it wasn't NME who decided that.

As for the review... Honestly, I couldn't care less. Last night was amazing and my fav moment was the entire performance -well i missed a couple of songs 'cause the stream failed-. I respect his point of view as well as other's people opinion but right here and right now, I'm dying to see Muse live and I don't even know if that will be possible (I live in Argentina) so people complaining and moaning are a bit annoying to me. If you don't like what they're doing atm then move on. There are lots of bands out there that can be suitable for your demands. For better of for worse, Muse is what Muse is now. What will it become in the future? I don't know but I'm curious.;)

Special guest aside, it was hard not to feel a sense of over-familiarity about Muse's set. They last headlined Glastonbury in 2004, and there was nothing especially different about this performance, in terms of visuals.

having only watched videos of each glasto...i have to say i tend to agree.

more colors last night? ;)

amazing performance of each song but uh...

And even though the trio made the odd attempt to keep things fresh – Matt Bellamy injected a new, Eddie Van Halen-esque solo into 'New Born', they dropped in an early B-side ('Nishe'), and bassist Chris Wolstenholme smoked a pipe, for some reason – this was essentially Muse doing what Muse always do: dispatching the hits with virtuosity and crisp efficiency.

hits indeed. i said i wouldn't complain about the setlist from last night, and i won't...but in terms of their gigs being essentially the same, again, i agree.

The audience went apeshit, of course. They always do with Muse. Which is a puzzle, because the band don't really do anything to encourage such an impassioned response.

we've heard tiro and feeling good so many times that what else is there to do but sing along?

house of the rising sun intro though...the epicness of that cannot be denied.

And the yawning, bloated likes of 'Guiding Light', last night especially, made me yearn for the spry, venomous rock act who gave us 'Cave' and 'Fillip' a decade ago.

guiding light is muse easy listening fm.

bring on showbiz

There is, let's not forget, something miraculous about the fact that a band this heavy, this unique, has been embraced so passionately by the mainstream.

twilight? :p

But you do get the feeling Muse are at a crossroads. Their music can't possibly get any bigger or more grandiose. The levels are all maxed out.

it can get more grandiose if they play something we can fucking rock to! :awesome:

Perhaps it's time they took their foot off the accelerator and wrote something more heartfelt, more personal, and on a human scale.

Source

amusing since zane so spaffingly called it a "love record". while it was a necessary product of their creativity i feel they shouldn't self produce their next effort, and they (matt) should throw more effort into the song writing.

those comments being my opinion, it is also my opinion that last night was a hurdle they needed to get over and they accomplished that quite well.

so much to disagree with and quite abit of ignorance. nishe wasnt a shock for anyone and neither was that newborn solo.

as far as what I agree with however, I think that Muse need to get a new album out as soon as they can. dont rush it, just dont take a massive break. I think it needs to be self-produced because thats clearly what they want. I also think they will identify mistakes that they made (yes, Im looking at you Guiding Light).

as much as I hate to go into Matts private life, it does seem like he writes better tunes when he isnt madly in love. maybe this will have some bearing.

finally, with or without (lol) the edge, the performance was epic.

I agree with the NME review - although not with ALL of it, for instance I don't think I could bear to listen to a lot of banter from the band in between songs. :LOL:

They are still great live (I saw them the other weekend and really enjoyed it) but Glasto 2004 leaves yesterday's performance in the dust.

And apart from WTSHNN the setlist itself was yet another Groundhog Day (even CE is getting played semi-regularly nowadays it seems).

Can argue about this till the cows come home, but for me Edge playing with Muse was not the outstanding bit of the set, the most outstanding bits were when the crowd joined in and everyone was singing!

And those moments seemed to peak at House of the Raising Sun and Feeling Good, coincidentally two other songs which aren't theirs.

They need a break and Glastonbury proved it. Yeah it had the bells n whistles on it, the big tunes, some changes from other live performances but it was same old same old. The Edge didn't save it, he merely made it that little bit different from other Muse performances. They should have owned it last night but they didnt. It was good. Just not that good.

Take a year off lads. Enjoy it then come back and blow us all away.

*flips off NME*

More banter? More visuals? I thought this was about the music... and they deserve all the cheers they receive for it. That's why everybody went apeshit, though some people obviously would rather sit at a tea party and watch blinking lights.

Sorry, need a say, "more emotional, more human music"...isn't that Neutron Star Collision? :p

:yesey: to the emotional part at least :rolleyes:

Both bands tread the tricky fine line between anthemic grandeur and outright hollow bombast

But you do get the feeling Muse are at a crossroads. Their music can't possibly get any bigger or more grandiose. The levels are all maxed out.

Perhaps it's time they took their foot off the accelerator and wrote something more heartfelt, more personal, and on a human scale.

Source

The day you start to agree with an NME review...is when you know something's wrong...

I don't think many could argue it's pretty spot on...

Archived