NME :How The Edge Saved Muse's Glastonbury Set

chudenk

The audience went apeshit, of course. They always do with Muse. Which is a puzzle, because the band don't really do anything to encourage such an impassioned response.

There's always been something weirdly detached and remote about them, live. There's no banter, no connection.

That was fine when they were riding high on the hook-packed brilliance of 'Black Holes And Revelations'. But their most recent album 'The Resistance' hasn't captured the public imagination in the same way.

It sounds to me that this reviewer hasn't got much time for Muse in the first place, and the fact that The Resistance has been so successful isn't really a sign that it hasn't captured the public imagination, nor is that illustrated by the audience going "apeshit"!

exactly, and the problem is they seem to think "phenomenal" is just adding more STUFF to the stage, like lights and robots and screens and stuff, when really all that does is create more distance. less STUFF more PASSION please muse.

kind of considering selling my wembley ticket so i have spending money for reading... but, even after all of this i still want to hear muse play the songs I love live, even if they dont really care anymore.

Exactly. I mean, they CAN do it, but they seem to have got to the top and be thinking "okay, what the fuck do we do now?". It must be a pretty troublesome balancing act, BUT they are siding heavily with making it a show than a gig, and as talented as they are, they're not good enough to paper over the cracks with loads of lights.

I'm not sure about wembley. I'll know more in a fortnight (after either T or Oxegen) If they impress me at either of the fests, then I'll go, if not... I think I might have to contemplate selling the ticket.

It sounds to me that this reviewer hasn't got much time for Muse in the first place, and the fact that The Resistance has been so successful isn't really a sign that it hasn't captured the public imagination, nor is that illustrated by the audience going "apeshit"!
I dunno. it's sold well, but I've not heard anything like the response i heard after BHAR came out from people I know who've bought it.

Its called having an opinion, you cant just tell people to shut up everytime someone disagrees with your views. People are allowed to say and express an opinion if they thought muse were gash last night.

No, I know. I didn't word that very well. I just meant really that there seems to be so much Muse bashing going on all the time and it just seems so pointless. People seem to put so much effort into disliking them, I've never understood that. They aren't the only thing in the world and they're easy to avoid. Obviously they headlined last night but...

Yeah, I know what I mean, I'm having trouble writing it down without sounding like a dick. :confused:

No, I know. I didn't word that very well. I just meant really that there seems to be so much Muse bashing going on all the time and it just seems so pointless. People seem to put so much effort into disliking them, I've never understood that. They aren't the only thing in the world and they're easy to avoid. Obviously they headlined last night but...

Yeah, I know what I mean, I'm having trouble writing it down without sounding like a dick. :confused:

I know what you mean.

It does seem cool to bash Muse really. And this kinda reeks of jealousy - I think deep down a lot of people would love to be selling out stadium loads of tickets to several thousand adoring (and some slightly creepy) fans. It just so happens that few people have the talent to.

150,000 people singing along to HOTRS and jumping IN UNISON to TIRO was the defining moment of Glasto imo, not The Edge.

That was a sweet-ass moment.

But I dont think this article should be paid much attention to because of this: http://www.nme.com/blog/index.php?blog=133&p=8051&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

If the link don't work the same writer who wrote this blog we're discussing wrote this after Muse won Best British Band at the NME Awards:

"As voted by readers of NME, Matt Bellamy and co are officially Britain's Best Band. And frankly, it's long overdue: their goggle-eyed ambition, unfailing ear for a stadium-shaking hook - and flagrant disregard for the Indie Cool Laws that have shaped guitar music since 'Is This It' - make them the only true candidates for the accolade right now, and it's high time we celebrated their unique genius."

This is such a contradicton to what the same writer wrote about last night.

I mean - fair enough. Muse last night were not as good as Glastonbury 2004 but they did very well and very close to that concert - certainly in comparison to other shows on this tour. But the writer seems to have forgotten what they wrote those many moons ago. That just reeks of laughable hpyocrisy.

It does seem cool to bash Muse really. And this kinda reeks of jealousy - I think deep down a lot of people would love to be selling out stadium loads of tickets to several thousand adoring (and some slightly creepy) fans. It just so happens that few people have the talent to.

I don't think it's jealously exactly but there does appear to be an element of assumed superiority. All this "they should be lucky I've bought tickets to see them" or "I'm going to have to think seriously whether or not I sell my tickets" crap. And besides the forum, the bigger Muse get, the more people are going to want to knock them down. In that I'm not saying they are without fault or beyond criticism, that's not the point. The point is that success makes them a target. Success is begrudged, particularly in the UK. I don't know about the rest of the world.

That was a sweet-ass moment.

But I dont think this article should be paid much attention to because of this: http://www.nme.com/blog/index.php?blog=133&p=8051&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

If the link don't work the same writer who wrote this blog we're discussing wrote this after Muse won Best British Band at the NME Awards:

"As voted by readers of NME, Matt Bellamy and co are officially Britain's Best Band. And frankly, it's long overdue: their goggle-eyed ambition, unfailing ear for a stadium-shaking hook - and flagrant disregard for the Indie Cool Laws that have shaped guitar music since 'Is This It' - make them the only true candidates for the accolade right now, and it's high time we celebrated their unique genius."

:LOL:

I don't think it's jealously exactly but there does appear to be an element of assumed superiority. All this "they should be lucky I've bought tickets to see them" or "I'm going to have to think seriously whether or not I sell my tickets" crap. And besides the forum, the bigger Muse get, the more people are going to want to knock them down. In that I'm not saying they are without fault or beyond criticism, that's not the point. The point is that success makes them a target. Success is begrudged, particularly in the UK. I don't know about the rest of the world.

How does thinking about selling your ticket = assumed superiority?

I don't think it's jealously exactly but there does appear to be an element of assumed superiority. All this "they should be lucky I've bought tickets to see them" or "I'm going to have to think seriously whether or not I sell my tickets" crap. And besides the forum, the bigger Muse get, the more people are going to want to knock them down. In that I'm not saying they are without fault or beyond criticism, that's not the point. The point is that success makes them a target.

They're not beyond criticism or faultless - noone is.

But you are completley right - the more successful you are, the bigger the target on your head. People do queue up to slag off bigger bands and as Muse are one of the biggest bands around, there will be plenty of people who don't get their music ready just to criticise them.

Guest Sarah-x

it has never botherd me that the boys dont speak much on stage, the music fucking good enough to make it a fantasic gig, and tbh i cant understan matt when he does talk :LOL:

muse dont need to change what they do on stage, there no longer young boys who trash their instruments, but thats ok. people change nme people change, deal with it! :chuckle:

Who here watched it last night and wished they could've been there? :unsure:

Seriously, I thought their interaction with the audience was fine...they seemed appreciative and happy to be there. Besides, alot of people aren't really that arsed about heartfelt speeches and banter, they're just eager to hear the next song! Not all bands are whooping and hollering fan-loving enthusiasts - they can get the crowd going with purely their sound and stage presence.

Even Guiding Light was pretty atmospheric IMO...sure, it wasn't the most varied setlist in the world but they put their all in to each performance and that was really mirrored by the crowd's response. I don't say that the article is completely wrong, I think we'd all love to hear the old material again and have more spontaneous setlists, but evidently complaining about that isn't going to change anything for now. Bring on the next review :LOL:

I don't think it's jealously exactly but there does appear to be an element of assumed superiority. All this "they should be lucky I've bought tickets to see them" or "I'm going to have to think seriously whether or not I sell my tickets" crap.

oh for FUCKS sake, i said i was "kind of considering" selling my ticket. mainly because i dont have any fucking MONEY at the moment. please stop being so judgemental.

oh for FUCKS sake, i said i was "kind of considering" selling my ticket. mainly because i dont have any fucking MONEY at the moment. please stop being so judgemental.

I wasn't referring to you. Don't take it so personally. It's the type of comment that I have have seen generally, sometimes from people who then queue up for hours to make sure they get a place at the barrier. It's a way of running them down. In effect saying they are not worth my ticket money. Otherwise to say it doesn't make any other contribution to the discussion because other people are rarely interested in others' financial positions. Anyway I can't really be bothered with this.

OK there's always someone who's not going to be happy.. and now we know who it is.. :ninja::rolleyes::LOL:

The WTSHNN was cool but I don't think Edge "saved" Muse, it was emotional, but the crowd reaction to Plug in Baby, Stockholm Syndrome or Knights of Cydonia was over the top in a good way of course!

I just feel the need to see Muse live again....

Archived