NME :How The Edge Saved Muse's Glastonbury Set

chudenk

Special guest aside, it was hard not to feel a sense of over-familiarity about Muse's set. They last headlined Glastonbury in 2004, and there was nothing especially different about this performance, in terms of visuals.

Visuals aren't important to me at all. But energy aside, I wish there had been something a little different, a little more memorable. An orchestra would have been nice, but not nneccesasrily that. Just covering a U2 song didn't really do it for me, despite it being an incredible cover.

.bassist Chris Wolstenholme smoked a pipe, for some reason

Because he's a boss? Wow, way to nitpick. :LOL:

.The audience went apeshit, of course. They always do with Muse. Which is a puzzle, because the band don't really do anything to encourage such an impassioned response.

Because they're amazing live? I feel like they transcend talking and bantering between shows because they don't need it. When I saw Hole it was irritating because all Courtney Love did was chatter for live ten minutes on end. We're here for the music. Besides, it's not like they were completely mute or anything.

.And the yawning, bloated likes of 'Guiding Light', last night especially, made me yearn for the spry, venomous rock act who gave us 'Cave' and 'Fillip' a decade ago.

Can't say I disagree. At all, actually.

Perhaps it's time they took their foot off the accelerator and wrote something more heartfelt, more personal, and on a human scale.

That sounds like an awful idea. Like a less dramatic "I wwwwas searchiiiing, you were on a missssssion..":LOL:

I think the article had good and bad points, although the bad points were defiantely ridiculous. I wish Muse's set had been as memorable as 04', because I don't think it achieved that. The Edge bit was greatness, and I'm nobody will forget that, but what else? I kept waiting for a Stockholm Syndrome '04 moment and nothing really succeeded it, or even came close.

That being said, their energy last night, the amazing crowd sing-a-longs, the boys smiling every ten seconds - everybody had a good time, I think. So I'm not going to nitpick too much. I just can't help that nagging in the back of my throat.

I wasn't referring to you. Don't take it so personally. It's the type of comment that I have have seen generally, sometimes from people who then queue up for hours to make sure they get a place at the barrier. It's a way of running them down. In effect saying they are not worth my ticket money. Otherwise to say it doesn't make any other contribution to the discussion because other people are rarely interested in others' financial positions. Anyway I can't really be bothered with this.

i was one of two people that mentioned that i was considering selling my ticket. dont tell me not to take things personally - it's up to you to be more tactful.

i was just trying to explain to you why someone might want to sell such an expensive ticket if they feel like the band arent performing very well. money has everything to do with going to gigs when buying a ticket for you and a friend costs over a hundred pounds.

anyway i cant really be bothered with you :phu:.

I wasn't referring to you. Don't take it so personally. It's the type of comment that I have have seen generally, sometimes from people who then queue up for hours to make sure they get a place at the barrier. It's a way of running them down. In effect saying they are not worth my ticket money. Otherwise to say it doesn't make any other contribution to the discussion because other people are rarely interested in others' financial positions. Anyway I can't really be bothered with this.

Oh please. don't act as if it wasn't aimed at us, or else why would you have used that a specific example. (its relevance, by the way, you haven't addressed yet) If you're going to try and judge people, at least have the backbone to say you were referring to them when they call you on it.

So I ask you again, seeing as you seem to be avoiding the issue: How does considering selling your ticket correlate to a sense of assumed superiority?

And FWIW, I haven't queued for a muse gig in my life

Didn't hear anyone complain about NME's music knowledge when muse was awarded Best (Live) Band :rolleyes:

You forget that bad reviews are written by haters who know fuck all about music, no matter who it is. Same with positive reviews, the people that write them are gods in the eyes of Muse fans. There's no balanced views with the most obsessed of Muse fans :LOL:

There's always been something weirdly detached and remote about them, live. There's no banter, no connection.

am i the only one who had a bit of a :chuckle: at that when considering that the little "speech" from Matt at the piano last night was I think the most I've heard him say in one go at any gig, except perhaps for the famous "I've lost the plot" vid? ;)

It does seem cool to bash Muse really. And this kinda reeks of jealousy - I think deep down a lot of people would love to be selling out stadium loads of tickets to several thousand adoring (and some slightly creepy) fans. It just so happens that few people have the talent to.

Some? Slightly? Are we talking about Muse here? :p

I think the review is spot on. The good only thing about The Resistance is the album itself.

I enjoyed watching the performance last night better than I enjoyed my last listen of the album :$

am i the only one who had a bit of a :chuckle: at that when considering that the little "speech" from Matt at the piano last night was I think the most I've heard him say in one go at any gig, except perhaps for the famous "I've lost the plot" vid? ;)

I was thinking the same thing! That was a lot of talking for Matt. lol

Fact.

People who don't get Muse, diss Muse. Some nice ignorant people will try and weigh the pros and cons. In this case, NME. But the message of that article was pretty clear.

I pity these people, last night's show was fecking immense and when it comes to Muse there is no other.

PWNED.

I get Muse. But I agree with the NME article. The set only picked up during the last 20 minutes for me. Where does that put me in your argument?

Fact.

People who don't get Muse, diss Muse. Some nice ignorant people will try and weigh the pros and cons. In this case, NME. But the message of that article was pretty clear.

I pity these people, last night's show was fecking immense and when it comes to Muse there is no other.

PWNED.

lol no

Fact.

PWNED.

That fact, says who? You? :LOL:

The most-outstanding highlight of the show seemed to be the U2 cover. Regarding what the band can pull off on their own at best, that is kind of disappointing.

Muse will become the next U2, I'm pretty sure of it.

/two cents

Didn't Matt say that there was only two ways to go on :LOL:? It was either to go on forever like U2 or go to LA, take a bunch of drugs, and die of overdose. Either way it was practically the same thing.

I get Muse. But I agree with the NME article. The set only picked up during the last 20 minutes for me. Where does that put me in your argument?

Sorry, didn't intend to lump people into categories. Its just I know several people who claim to hate Muse when they've only heard a few singles and base them on this preconception. And yeah, opinions are allowed. Just bugs me, is all.

For me there was so much electricity in that performance and the atmos was great. Loved it!

Peacee

Archived