M-audio makes good, cheap controllers. Check out the Keystation series (semi- weighted and very cheap) or if you want to go with weighted keys, the keystation pro 88 is about the cheapest legitimate weighted controller I've seen (find it used around $250 - $300).

$400's a bit much to pay for a controller... esp. since your's isn't even a dedicated controller.

Anyway... always best to use a dedicated controller. Digital pianos aren't as user friendly in the MIDI control department, though they do work.

Keystations are pretty bad in my experience. And sure, the Privia isn't a dedicated controller, but the MIDI is fine (not user friendly? What??), and $400 is pretty rock-bottom for any decently weighted keys. I did plenty of research before buying, with the intention of using it primarily as a controller.

I'll check out the Privia as well...maybe I'm being too selective, but I'm looking for a nice action keyboard to learn piano on (obviously unless I get a stage piano, I won't have the full experience, but I have a Clavinova at home anyway - this is something for when I'm at uni, I also want transport and assignable faders/knobs to use with live/reason, but all in the same unit, and cheap :p

Wouldn't hurt to have a couple of (limited) sample banks too, but I think that's pushing it.

I was considering getting an older keyboard/piano and a midisport to plug into my macbook pro, but I think that'll defeat the portability side of things, as older is gonna= bulkier :(

wow, really? Can't find a keystation pro for anything close to that cheap here :( I might grab just a 61 keystation, although I'm looking at the CME UF7 as it has transport controls and faders too :)

yeh i think i heard bad things about that cme board... but ofc i suggest you look into it yourself if you are thinking about it.

How is your squire? Have you compared it to any fenders in shops? Some squires are really nice to play so you might be better off upgrading the pups.

It's decent - it's from the mid 90s i think, so it's an older one.

I haven't really compared it. I mainly want to upgrade because it currently doesn't play that well. It doesn't sound too bad really.

Maybe a good set up would help?

Is it a J or a P? There's a big difference in the necks. Squires will feel much like Fenders IMHO. A shit one is shit, a great one is great. They're not for me. I prefer just about any other brand of bass to Fender (but I love fender guitars).

I'll check out the Privia as well...maybe I'm being too selective, but I'm looking for a nice action keyboard to learn piano on (obviously unless I get a stage piano, I won't have the full experience, but I have a Clavinova at home anyway - this is something for when I'm at uni, I also want transport and assignable faders/knobs to use with live/reason, but all in the same unit, and cheap :p

Wouldn't hurt to have a couple of (limited) sample banks too, but I think that's pushing it.

I was considering getting an older keyboard/piano and a midisport to plug into my macbook pro, but I think that'll defeat the portability side of things, as older is gonna= bulkier :(

If you're trying to learn piano, then I doubly recommend the Privia. You'll want the 88 keys, and it's an electric piano, so it has built in piano (as well as a few other) sounds. The speakers are pretty shitty though, so you'll want to use the 3.5 mm jack for headphones or external speakers to make use of the sounds. Doesn't have any knobs or faders though.

yeh i think i heard bad things about that cme board... but ofc i suggest you look into it yourself if you are thinking about it.

Yeah, it's very split from what I've heard: most reviews say it's good, but there are some bad user reviews out there too. We have a UF8 in a studio, but I've not played with it as it's always really busy in there and there are time constraints :( Has a nice action from the feel of things though (but I think the UF7 has "semi-weighted" keys rather than hammer action ones in the UF8...

Anyone else has experience with the keystation? Action is quite important to me, as I can always get a Korg nanokontrol or something for parameter control.

Someone recommend me a pickup (single coil preferably) that allows really great loud harmonics, like an emg but which is passive and not too overpriced.

for a strat?

BKP sinner. i'm not sure if that's too pricey, but if it is, dimarzio makes some pretty good high output SCs. Can't remember which one I had though.

• 3 weeks later...

Best looper pedal for live use?

RC-20xl

Headrush

DL4

or jamman?

I probably only want a couple of layers, and want to be able to control it with my feet, but I'm really not bothered as long as its nice :)

If it doesnt matter, I'll get the headrush as it cheapest... :p

Best looper pedal for live use?

RC-20xl

Headrush

DL4

or jamman?

I probably only want a couple of layers, and want to be able to control it with my feet, but I'm really not bothered as long as its nice :)

If it doesnt matter, I'll get the headrush as it cheapest... :p

What about the RC-2? It doesn't sound like you need any of the complex looper functions.

I heard that was crap so I did'nt put it on ;) But if it's not bad then I'll consider it (only has one pedal though, so foot control may be difficult). It's also the same price as the headrush, which has delay function too!

Oh yeah, as I'm probably gonna be using it for layer/background sounds or riffs, it's kinda important to have a good tap tempo feature so I can slot in with the rest of the band!

ooops, I forgot to put the line 6 JM4 on the list :p

Sorry if the question have been raised before

May i know what kind distortion pedal that goes well with muse songs best?

Thanks in advance.:)

Apparently it's all about the amp distortion and not a lot to do with pedals.

(Tits or GTFO)

ooops, I forgot to put the line 6 JM4 on the list :p

Probably best to keep it off too. From the reviews I read it seemed that the looper part seemed to be an after thought of sticking all of line 6's lame spider amp effects in it first.

Yeah it does look alot like a toy imho. I don't get why people would spend so much on a pedal for home use...The past 60 years of guitar history made do without drum loops and click tracks to practice :p

Anyway, I'm down to either the headrush (looks really easy to use live, but you can only store one loop at a time), the RC-20xl (expensive, and I don't know if I can justify it over the headrush) or the Digitech Jamman (from all accounts, a better version of the Rc-20, but I'm always wary of digitech for some reason...)

Ideas?

Hallo,

I'm saving up a good £700 (it will take a while) to buy myself a new piano.

No where to put, along with not enough money, to get a proper upright or baby grand :( so was thinking about getting an electric piano.

Problem is, which one to do for.

I've always played on a touch sensitive keyboard, and def want rid.

I had my lessons when I was wee on a Yamaha Clavinova, and I really like them, and there cheep as well, but i've seen some Roland stage pianos and i'm not quite sure the difference, apart from clavinovas looking nicer.

Any help, suggestions or differences between the two would be loved.

Also, I don't want a korg or casio brand, I'm not a fan.

Archived