I think you can built a simple cab emulator with a resistor or two.

A giant heat-sink'd resistor but yes!

20/20 stereo is equivalent to 40w mono (with the same cab)... Whether or not it sounds the same volume is a different matter once you actually start using stereo effects!

Just out of interest, is everyone with a stereo rig mic'ing both sides?

Just out of interest, is everyone with a stereo rig mic'ing both sides?

now my rig is pwopa stereo, i guess i better.

edit: im a little worried about heat now. i might stick my big fan behind my rack, pointing into it, but i bought it for blowing at me. anyone know any good cooling solutions for racks? im gonna be leaving the space above the power amp empty, but i'm not 100% sure thats gonna be all i need to do for hassle free runnings.

Can anyone recommend me a small valve combo for around £50-100?

I've got a Laney LC30-II combo today (thanks Jonneh!) and it will be perfect for band practises. But I think I'll also need a smaller combo for practising in the later hours, and also for taking to uni for performances (and also for when I move onto university next year).

Functions and controls aren't too much of a big deal. Preferably valve though, just a tiny amp which sounds good! Ta.

Can anyone recommend me a small valve combo for around £50-100?

I've got a Laney LC30-II combo today (thanks Jonneh!) and it will be perfect for band practises. But I think I'll also need a smaller combo for practising in the later hours, and also for taking to uni for performances (and also for when I move onto university next year).

Functions and controls aren't too much of a big deal. Preferably valve though, just a tiny amp which sounds good! Ta.

Orange have reissued the AD5, which was a very lovely little thing from my memory of the original. If you have a bit of cash to spend, it is worth a look.

Marshall 1936 2X12 Cab as an extension for my marshall dsl401 (combo). Yay or nay?

The speaker in the combo is crap, not punchy enough, and gets quite muddy at high gain. Rather than spend money on replacing the speaker like most people do, I thought itd be wiser to go for a cab instead, as I'll be upgrading to a head and cab setup eventually anyway. Really dont need the size or volume of a 4X12, so 2X12 seems my best bet.

Any input?

Marshall 1936 2X12 Cab as an extension for my marshall dsl401 (combo). Yay or nay?

The speaker in the combo is crap, not punchy enough, and gets quite muddy at high gain. Rather than spend money on replacing the speaker like most people do, I thought itd be wiser to go for a cab instead, as I'll be upgrading to a head and cab setup eventually anyway. Really dont need the size or volume of a 4X12, so 2X12 seems my best bet.

Any input?

I think the 1936 has the same speakers as the one in your DSL401.

Well thats epic fail...

Can you shoot me some names of some decent 2X12s to check out?

Edit: Budgets about £350. Will stretch abit further for epicness.

Orange.

and I don't think it does, Jack - or at least mine didn't. It said celestion gold series iirc (not the higher powered celestion blue unfortunately :( )

edit: the orange is 16 ohms though, not sure if the DSL401 can run at 16.

• 2 weeks later...

gay

anyone have experience with the standard series fender basses? looking to upgrade from my older squier since i'm playing bass a little more.

still haven't got a proper amp, just using an OR120 into a 2x12 (cheap speakers that i don't worry about blowing up)

sounds good to me...

Can anyone recommend a cheap weighted midi keyboard/controller? Or a digital piano that I could use as a controller? Nothing smaller than 49 keys please :)

I use a Casio Privia something-or-another that I got for $400. 88 fairly nicely weighted (but not graded) keys. I would recommend it.

Guest Fluffy the Conqueror
Can anyone recommend a cheap weighted midi keyboard/controller? Or a digital piano that I could use as a controller? Nothing smaller than 49 keys please :)

M-audio makes good, cheap controllers. Check out the Keystation series (semi- weighted and very cheap) or if you want to go with weighted keys, the keystation pro 88 is about the cheapest legitimate weighted controller I've seen (find it used around $250 - $300).

I use a Casio Privia something-or-another that I got for $400. 88 fairly nicely weighted (but not graded) keys. I would recommend it.

$400's a bit much to pay for a controller... esp. since your's isn't even a dedicated controller.

Anyway... always best to use a dedicated controller. Digital pianos aren't as user friendly in the MIDI control department, though they do work.

Archived