What are peoples opinions on American Big Muff Pis?

I'd be playing lots of Metal (Rammstein, Cradle of Filth, Bullet for My Valentine. That sort of Stuff), and maybe a few Muse songs, so would the tone of the US Big Muff suit that stuff? If not what would be a better Pedal to look at?

Hey thought I'd ask it here too:

Ok, Lately I've searched for a new guitar (Max. budget is 500 euro's)

And I think I'm gonna get one of these:

Epiphone Les Paul Std. (€400)

Yamaha RGX A2 (€400)

Michael Kelly Patriot Hot Rod (€ 480)

Prices are from shops I could buy from (not online)

At this moment I would say RGX A2..

It must suit my styles ofcourse: Muse, Editors, Foo Fighters, Radiohead, and some other things that are considered alternative and hardrock / metal ( No heavy metal, although I play some hi-gain riffs here and there )

So I need Humbuggies :3

Please tell me what to (not) buy, and why ofcourse

Oh and before I forget:

Well, I haven't used any of those guitars but I've never heard anything bad about Yamahas (Except from Knight but it seems everyone else on here likes them) and my Yamaha Bass is pretty good, so I'm sure that the RGX would be good as it's from a good brand, but I haven't had any experience with that specific model (Thats the cool looking guitar with the LED Tone knobs innit?)

Well, I haven't used any of those guitars but I've never heard anything bad about Yamahas (Except from Knight but it seems everyone else on here likes them) and my Yamaha Bass is pretty good, so I'm sure that the RGX would be good as it's from a good brand, but I haven't had any experience with that specific model (Thats the cool looking guitar with the LED Tone knobs innit?)

It is :) And I keep hearing good things about it, so it will probably the one I will be buying (After it passes my test haha)

I'd be playing lots of Metal (Rammstein, Cradle of Filth, Bullet for My Valentine. That sort of Stuff), and maybe a few Muse songs, so would the tone of the US Big Muff suit that stuff? If not what would be a better Pedal to look at?

I just got one, and its rather nice :) Dunno about what bands it really suits, but I'd go for one anyway.

Should sound nice with my new pickups (which have been delayed :()

Hey thought I'd ask it here too:

Ok, Lately I've searched for a new guitar (Max. budget is 500 euro's)

And I think I'm gonna get one of these:

Epiphone Les Paul Std. (€400)

Yamaha RGX A2 (€400)

Michael Kelly Patriot Hot Rod (€ 480)

Epiphone Les Pauls are nice. Shame they don't do the '56 Goldtop anymore. Apart from these, have you considered a PRS or Godin? They are very nice guitars :)

I just got one, and its rather nice :) Dunno about what bands it really suits, but I'd go for one anyway.

Should sound nice with my new pickups (which have been delayed :()

Epiphone Les Pauls are nice. Shame they don't do the '56 Goldtop anymore. Apart from these, have you considered a PRS or Godin? They are very nice guitars :)

Hmm yeah I looked at those yes, the shop I'll be visiting is feedback, http://www.feedback.nl

These are the electric guitars they have ordered by price: http://feedback.nl/?id=26&a=9&treeID=&order=1

They actually have the '56 Goldtop, but it has P90's and although i like P90's that's not what I'm looking for atm.

given that youre looking to play a lot of metal, it might be a touch too fuzzy for your needs. muffs can be exceptionally muddy-sounding at the best of times, so you might want to go for a modded metal zone or another high-gain dist/od

given that youre looking to play a lot of metal, it might be a touch too fuzzy for your needs. muffs can be exceptionally muddy-sounding at the best of times, so you might want to go for a modded metal zone or another high-gain dist/od

Thanks, What would be some good Hi-Gain distortions?

Thanks, What would be some good Hi-Gain distortions?

i dont really know of many myself, tend to use pedals as either a boost or plain fuzz, but ive heard good things about the keeley-modded DS-1s and MT-2s. dunno how high gain it is, but the OS-2 has a good reputation, as does the zvex box of rock, if youre into the more boutiquey stuff. maybe see if you can try out a visualsound jekyll and hyde too? its essentially two tubescreamers in one box, so i guess its more of a lead sound machine, but having played around with my friends one, theres a few very solid tones in it

What does everyone think of the Behringer V-Amp 2 as opposed to the Line 6 PocketPod?

as a rule, the only behringer guitar products really worth touching are the boss-clone stompboxes. what would you be looking to run this into? and how would you control it? the best idea imo would be to get yourself a solid amp (given your recent posts, id reccomend a roland cube 30 or 60, or a vox valvetronix), then maybe a floor based multi-fx (boss me-20/50 are good, as are the zoom G series) if you want to play around with some effects and different drive sounds.

i dont really know of many myself, tend to use pedals as either a boost or plain fuzz, but ive heard good things about the keeley-modded DS-1s and MT-2s. dunno how high gain it is, but the OS-2 has a good reputation, as does the zvex box of rock, if youre into the more boutiquey stuff. maybe see if you can try out a visualsound jekyll and hyde too? its essentially two tubescreamers in one box, so i guess its more of a lead sound machine, but having played around with my friends one, theres a few very solid tones in it

as a rule, the only behringer guitar products really worth touching are the boss-clone stompboxes. what would you be looking to run this into? and how would you control it? the best idea imo would be to get yourself a solid amp (given your recent posts, id reccomend a roland cube 30 or 60, or a vox valvetronix), then maybe a floor based multi-fx (boss me-20/50 are good, as are the zoom G series) if you want to play around with some effects and different drive sounds.

I'd be running my Mockingbird Masterpiece and my Ibanez RX-30 through it. I've been looking into amps and the VOX looks pretty good. I also found an Ibanez TBX150H with matching Ibanez IS412C cab for $500. As for effects, the Boss ME-20 looks rathe nice. The 50 is a little out of my price range ATM.

the best advice anyone can really give you about this is to make yourself a little list of products (particularly amps) you wanna try out, then go try them. any idiot can make a shit amp sound good when its been recorded for sound demos etc, but only when youre playing it in person can you get an accurate idea of how it sounds, and how easy it is to use. harmony central can help with its reviews, but its best to maintain a good deal of scepticism about them, as many tend to be written by 15 year old metalheads whove just moved on from their MG15, and think anything fizzy and mid-scooped sounds like golden shit.

the best advice anyone can really give you about this is to make yourself a little list of products (particularly amps) you wanna try out, then go try them. any idiot can make a shit amp sound good when its been recorded for sound demos etc, but only when youre playing it in person can you get an accurate idea of how it sounds, and how easy it is to use. harmony central can help with its reviews, but its best to maintain a good deal of scepticism about them, as many tend to be written by 15 year old metalheads who think anything fizzy and mid-scooped sounds like golden shit.

I take pride in my lack of Mid-Scooping when playing metal :phu:

Thanks, I'll try out some pedals at a guitar shop next time I'm at one, I'll try and find some of those to see what they're like :)

Thanks, I'll try out some pedals at a guitar shop next time I'm at one, I'll try and find some of those to see what they're like :)

i dont think you can get keeley modded pedals in shops in australia, so i guess if youre gonna get one youll have to rely on hearsay.. ive heard, however, that the modded DS-1 sounds like an old cranked marshall, and the MT-2 is high gain, but ballsy

i dont think you can get keeley modded pedals in shops in australia, so i guess if youre gonna get one youll have to rely on hearsay.. ive heard, however, that the modded DS-1 sounds like an old cranked marshall, and the MT-2 is high gain, but ballsy

Well I played a regular DS-1 at my friends house today and that was alright, (Didn't have a chance to play any Metal except a couple of Rammstein Riffs though)

But I meant try out Zvex Box of Rock, OS-2 and just various different pedals.

I realise I wouldn't be able to find a Modded version of the DS-1 and MT-2 in a regular music store in Aus.

Archived