Well... I'd say get a distortion of some kind, because every pedal setup needs a distortion. But whatever you do, don't get a Behringer. It's fucken gay. I'd send you mine for 30pounds. Bit expensive for a doorstop but it is a pretty colour. I don't know how much pedals are there though so I don't even know where to start looking.

Uh, the Behringer stuff isn't bad, at all. If we're talking sound, well, they're just clones.

Also I wouldn't recommend 'distortion'. Get one of the Behringer drives and a Hammond enclosure/some parts and get your rehousing on.

I'm getting a Macbook for christmas and I be needing some software that can use VSTs and send and recieve MIDI data. I'm not looking for anything extremely fancy just something simple. I have fruityloops but that doesn't run on a Mac as far as I'm aware. Don't really want to spend too much but I don't have a set budget. Any suggestions? Cheers

Uh, the Behringer stuff isn't bad, at all. If we're talking sound, well, they're just clones.

Also I wouldn't recommend 'distortion'. Get one of the Behringer drives and a Hammond enclosure/some parts and get your rehousing on.

Thanks Jack, sounds like a good option.

Behringer isn't too bad but I've had a hit and miss situation with them. Like the tuning pedal.

I bought it and have used it about twice before realizing it was too annoying and indecisive.

I'm getting a Macbook for christmas and I be needing some software that can use VSTs and send and recieve MIDI data. I'm not looking for anything extremely fancy just something simple. I have fruityloops but that doesn't run on a Mac as far as I'm aware. Don't really want to spend too much but I don't have a set budget. Any suggestions? Cheers

Garageband comes with all Macs.

Not sure if that's what you're looking for, but it records audio, imports MIDI and so on.

they were taking them from the box, and they had a fuel tank. Could possibly be the adaptors or the fuel tank not having 24v output, I know FA about it.

But the pedals being shit seemed quite plausible.

nah, guitar shop assistants being thick as shit would make more sense. i don't know what a fuel tank is, but really they should have been using the adaptor that comes in the box with the DMM, it's shipped with one for a reason.

avoid logic :LOL:

probs a budget version of cubase will do nicely.

Garageband comes with all Macs.

Not sure if that's what you're looking for, but it records audio, imports MIDI and so on.

Ahh I forgot about garageband. Just looked it up and it doesn't look like is can be used to control external hardware by MIDI. I also forgot about Ableton Live:facepalm: which seems to do everything that I'm after so I'll probably just end using that.

Cheers, I'll have a look into it

nah, guitar shop assistants being thick as shit would make more sense. i don't know what a fuel tank is, but really they should have been using the adaptor that comes in the box with the DMM, it's shipped with one for a reason.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/T-Rex-Fuel-Tank-Power-Supply-151089-i1322358.gc

There are three different models. One of which I think does supply 24 volt.

http://www.guitar.com.au/effects/trex/fuel_tank.htm

Guest bshuker

You've obviously not had a toy around with Logic 8, it's very simple, it's taken a leaf from Garageband in the way it works, its FAR more user friendly than 7. (and yes I'll agree 7 was a fucking nightmare)

What's wrong with Logic? D:

I tried it out at the Apple Store when I went earlier this year and it seemed pretty good...

it's a lovely piece of software, just more complex to use than others. i'm absolutely fine using cubase, but despite probably spending more time on logic, i still get confused :$

i have had a toy with logic 8, just it took me even longer to do basic things, probs just need more time with it.

How about this: https://shop.steinberg.net/cgi-bin/pp?id=502012400 ?

I've heard garageband is good for getting ideas down quickly which would be quite good for band practises or something.

Cubase essentials go for it! I have AI4 which is basically the same. Very easy to use and a very good starting point!

Edit: Forgot to add it comes with quite a few good VST instruments and various other VST plug ins. Great package.

avoid garageband as well

it's really not all its cracked up to be.

hows reaper either way? it's solved that weird disk problem i had with my computer, whatever that was - so i'm considering buying it..

reaper is good, i like it. would use it if i didnt have cubase

it's a lovely piece of software, just more complex to use than others. i'm absolutely fine using cubase, but despite probably spending more time on logic, i still get confused :$

i have had a toy with logic 8, just it took me even longer to do basic things, probs just need more time with it.

i wouldnt say logic is any more confusing than anything else, its all a case of what youre used to

avoid garageband as well

it's really not all its cracked up to be.

:O

How dare you say that!?

It's better than people think. Can do a lot more than people expect...

It sucks for professional work, but for home recording (as a hobby, for example), it's great. You can get some pretty good sounding songs coming out of it if you steer clear of falling into the Apple Loops for anything other than drums.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/T-Rex-Fuel-Tank-Power-Supply-151089-i1322358.gc

There are three different models. One of which I think does supply 24 volt.

http://www.guitar.com.au/effects/trex/fuel_tank.htm

The DMM also uses a non-standard DC barrel (2.5mm vs 2.1mm internal diameter) and I seem to remember having to wire things backwards when I made my board (centre positive rather than the usual negative), which could explain a lot!

Guest bshuker
:O

How dare you say that!?

It's better than people think. Can do a lot more than people expect...

It sucks for professional work, but for home recording (as a hobby, for example), it's great. You can get some pretty good sounding songs coming out of it if you steer clear of falling into the Apple Loops for anything other than drums.

:eek: don't say that, I'll show you something I made for lulz with apple loops and drums that I wrote out myself!

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7079282 Lolololololol

Archived