Thanks Haze! Epic price on the SM7b...haha, I can't justify getting something that pricey yet...but thank you for the recommendation and the advice.

I'll look more at condensers now I think, as I think they'll suit me for what I'll need more I think.

Thanks Haze! Epic price on the SM7b...haha, I can't justify getting something that pricey yet...but thank you for the recommendation and the advice.

I'll look more at condensers now I think, as I think they'll suit me for what I'll need more I think.

Well, I was being a bit picky, but i'm pretty you were looking for something to record with rather than stage/band practise use? if you do want to use it for the latter, get the 58! though i prefer the 57, bit more high end.

and the sm7b isn't too bad a price for a microphone :LOL:

Haha, I suppose. Bit out of my current range though :p

Well yeah I was mainly going to use it for studio use, and band practises really. Which is what got me interested in the new Rode M2- a condenser that works equally nicely (supposedly) in both the studio & live. But I'm not sure.

Thoughts? :p

yes, haze is completely correct imo, the sm7b is a fantastic microphone, and though the sm58 is a very easy mic to work with, the pros will all be using it with great, esoteric preamps... and this is what brings out the best of the microphone, and makes it sound really nice.. many people dont realise that a great preamp will bring out the character of a mic.. it also changes depending on the input impedence of the preamp.. some preamps will allow you to change the impedence of its preamp, to bring out different sounds from mics.

there's also a lot of microphone technique involved in the recording.. stuff to look into is the proximity effect and the amount of siblance and its frequency response depending on the angle that you hold it at.. same as every mic i guess (though they all have their quirks)

having said that, in its price range, it still sounds better than the others out there imo.. just dont expect it to instantly sound like band 'x' you heard on the radio (not that i thought youd expect that anyway).

Cheers Chris.

For a moderate price, what kind of preamp would you recommend? If say I got a mic for between £60-100, what kind of preamp would you recommend getting for a good price (good price for me meaning between £20-£60).

Ta!

the 'good' pres i was talking about in my comment were really the kind that are worth over £500.. but as tom said, the best in that price range is probably the art tube mp

Cheers Chris.

For a moderate price, what kind of preamp would you recommend? If say I got a mic for between £60-100, what kind of preamp would you recommend getting for a good price (good price for me meaning between £20-£60).

Ta!

what setup do you have at the moment for recording and practise? there may not be any necessity to buy a cheap preamp.

but the 58 is probably the best option overall, you'll always find them on the mic list for £1000+ a day studios with all the vintage neumanns, akgs and RCA's you can dream of. then get saving for a quality condensor :yesey:

To be fair you should be changing your strings every month anyway. I like ernie ball strings myself, never really found them to be dull.

Mmhmm. Agreed.

I use Ernie Ball too. I prefer just the Regular Slinky set. I think it sounds great and I have NEVER broken an Ernie Ball. I've broken D'addarios, DR's, and a few others, but never Ernie Ball. (I hope I don't jinx my self :erm:)

I just plug my cheapo mic into my friend's Behringer Xenyx mixing desk & it's preamps.

Hmm, still considering. Between getting a Rode M2 or Shure SM58 now really.

How much is the FMR RNP here? I've heard they are pretty much the best thing under £1000/channel... Never used one but I have used the RNC which was pretty good!

i think they retail at £400. theyre supposed to be (scuse the pun) really nice.. and you get 2 channels, so its £200 a channel, which isnt so bad at all.

i dont think theyre best under £1000 though, the UA LA610 is pretty shit hot.. it retails for around twice the price of the FMR, but its pwopa nice.

you can get the UA LA610 with an 1176 peak limiter combined in the UA 6176, thats pretty awesome. that is almost £2000 though!

i think they retail at £400. theyre supposed to be (scuse the pun) really nice.. and you get 2 channels, so its £200 a channel, which isnt so bad at all.

i dont think theyre best under £1000 though, the UA LA610 is pretty shit hot.. it retails for around twice the price of the FMR, but its pwopa nice.

you can get the UA LA610 with an 1176 peak limiter combined in the UA 6176, thats pretty awesome. that is almost £2000 though!

i've actually been looking at the UA 610 recently. would it be better to go for the LA610 or ok to spend a bit less on the solo 610?

i've actually been looking at the UA 610 recently. would it be better to go for the LA610 or ok to spend a bit less on the solo 610?

depends if you want the compressor or not i guess. if you can stretch to the UA610, its well worth it, the la-2a is one of the better ones out there, you'll probably end up running stuff through it without using the mic pre too.

http://www.graphtech.com/products.html?CategoryID=11

Ok, I'm thinking about getting this for my strat. It breaks strings like they're going out of fashion...

So I was thinking of getting it for it's string-break protection... Anyone got them? Are they good? Do they reduce string breakage?

And how hard is replacing a nut in a strat? Is it something I should ask a luthier to do, or is it possible to do it myself?

http://www.graphtech.com/products.html?CategoryID=11

Ok, I'm thinking about getting this for my strat. It breaks strings like they're going out of fashion...

So I was thinking of getting it for it's string-break protection... Anyone got them? Are they good? Do they reduce string breakage?

And how hard is replacing a nut in a strat? Is it something I should ask a luthier to do, or is it possible to do it myself?

what gauge strings do you use? is it bending that you get the breaks on or just playing rhythm? what is your bridge like? do the strings always break in a certain place?

one of my guitars kept breaking the G or B string, it was a bit of metal on the saddle iirc. kept tearing at the string when I played.

what gauge strings do you use? is it bending that you get the breaks on or just playing rhythm? what is your bridge like? do the strings always break in a certain place?

one of my guitars kept breaking the G or B string, it was a bit of metal on the saddle iirc. kept tearing at the string when I played.

Ernie Ball Super Slinky, which is a 9 I think...

It's normally just rhythm playing that makes it break, to be honest. Nothing TOO strenuous...

And it's a typical modern Strat tremolo bridge. Nothing fancy... and since it's always the D string that breaks at the bottom, I reckon it's probably the saddles (which is why I'm thinking of getting the graphtech saddles).

I would go with just the saddles, but since my nut seems fairly cruddy (as far as I can tell), I was thinking of just going for the full super charger kit. Especially since it claims to make using the tremolo arm safer, or something along those lines.

I reckon that if youve got the money to spend, go the whole thing, you might as well. But you might as well go to a tech and get them to quickly file down and lube the nut and saddles, use heavier strings too!

ohai

i recommend that you buy my gretsch

Archived