What Is Your Favourite Muse Album?  

1,471 members have voted

1. 1. What Is Your Favourite Muse Album?

My first exposure to Muse was Sunburn when it charted in 2000 and I am ashamed to say that at the time I didn't like it (I thought they sounded like a Radiohead cover band - really due to the similarity in the vocal style of Pablo Honey and The Bends. Anyway, fastforward 11 years and, er, my bad!:$). When Plug In Baby came out I became a fan, and this was before the release of the album OoS. So to hear more I had to buy Showbiz and on further listening thought it was great. I saw them in the Docklands Arena December that year and they seriously rocked, I was in the second row standing. Going back to the survey I agree with the results as I am a fan of the more guitar influenced tracks (maximum riffage please)... and in my opinion the amount of sustain present on Muse albums has decreased since OoS. I could go on but I keep on having to correct typos. Anyway, I am selling singles box sets the first 3 albums - including OoS on ebay and the auction ends tomorrow (Monday) night. Kind of sad in one way but they are sat in a cupboard. I will always buy a Muse Album but I guess I'm just less of a fan than I used to be.

I voted Absolution before, but now my views on their albums for me has changed. It is now as follows:

1. Origin of Symmetry

2. Absolution (Only slightly below OoS)

3. The Resistance

4. Black Holes & Revelations(Tied with TR)

5. Showbiz(Good, but I don't like it nearly as much as the others)

I am pretty sure I will always claim Origin of Symmetry as their number one album (seeing how for me, that's their best and they've steadily gotten less impressive with each following album) but even with that said I can honestly say I only dislike two or three songs of their entire selection.

1. Origin of Symmetry

2. Absolution

3. Showbiz

4. Black Holes and Revelations

5. The Resistance

Muse does a very good job of changing up their sound a little bit with each album they release, as to keep their music interesting and musical. I feel like their strongest style of music is portrayed in OoS, with the spacey, grandeur-classical-rock feel they have. BHaR and The Resistance have a lot of great songs and are still better albums than most other bands can make, but they don't seem to have the same sincerity or passion as the earlier albums

01. Absolution - heaven, pure heaven

02. Origin of Symmetry - awesome riffage (both guitar and piano), strong album as a whole concept (just an inch after Absolution)

03. Black Holes and Revelations / Showbiz - can't decide - matured, but still more pop, synthy songs / pure, experimental, best 1st album from any group I know...

05. Resistance - BIGGG let down, but still I can listen to it - for me too much american-rock sounding - sorry US fellas, not being from the UK I daresay UK rocks harder and better ! For me anyway...

Well, there's a refreshing change.

Thanks. Everyone seems to put OoS on top and it is excellent. Like i said not much between all the albums but i feel that there is a certain maturity in BH & R and even the Resistance. To me, Absolution seems to encapsulate everything that makes Muse great.

01. Absolution - heaven, pure heaven

02. Origin of Symmetry - awesome riffage (both guitar and piano), strong album as a whole concept (just an inch after Absolution)

03. Black Holes and Revelations / Showbiz - can't decide - matured, but still more pop, synthy songs / pure, experimental, best 1st album from any group I know...

05. Resistance - BIGGG let down, but still I can listen to it - for me too much american-rock sounding - sorry US fellas, not being from the UK I daresay UK rocks harder and better ! For me anyway...

I always thought OoS sounded more american-rock...:erm:

I always thought OoS sounded more american-rock...:erm:

Well, it's just my opinion - how I feel it. It's definitely harder than usual britrock but still the guitar and bass sound is british (fuzz+crunch), there aren't many power chords, not much palm mutting and the drums resemble more Bonzo style I think...But the most important thing is Matt's singing -absolutely british I think...There almost isn't fasetto on the Resistance album... :( :( :( :( :( :(

1. Origin of Symmetry, Absolution and Black Holes & Revelations -- These three are always fighting for first place, so I've just lumped them together. All brilliant albums with mostly great tunes, but each has a song or two stopping them from being classic albums.

2. Showbiz -- Raw and experimental goodness. There are a few weak tracks but as an album, it's their most thematically consistent effort by far. Some really good songs on here that don't get enough appreciation. Uno, Escape, HT&ILY and Falling Down all spring to mind.

3. The Resistance -- I like this album less and less every time I hear it. As a collection of songs it's not too bad, but as an album it fails quite miserably. There's just no flow, no sense of continuity, and that's before Exo which feels like an entirely irrelevant consolation prize for not quitting mid-album. Not to mention the songs lack energy live, and the band seem quite bored playing them.

1. The Resistance; I can't believe so many ppl don't like The Resistance, it's full of awesome songs. And Exogenesis just finishes it perfectly (I'm a huge fan of classical music/piano music). Not to mention that this album has my favourite song in it: Resistance :happy:

2. Black Holes And Revelations; very good album, lots of good songs so close 2nd. But The Resistance has something the other albums don't have (in my opinion).

3. Absolution; Only just before OoS cause of 'Time is running out' and 'Butterflies and hurricanes'.

4. Origin of Symmetry; Could have been 3rd too, it changes a lot, but right now Absolution wins it.

5. Showbiz; I have to say that I don't know all the songs on this album, so that's prolly also why it's ranked last. And yes, I could listen to all of them first and then post this, but by only listening one time to a song I can't decide if it's really good or not. Besides, we're ranking MUSE albums, none of them is bad, just less good.

I dont know showbiz never had flow for me .... showbiz --- unintended --- uno .... was kinda weird for me same for the end near absolution.

I voted OoS but its hard i almost have OoS at #1 and all the others tied at #2

edit: Sober is also a pretty average song it has those two cool solo's but other than that .....

Absolution - The flow I think is the only problem with this album for me. I love every song on it (I have some liking towards TIRO and TOADA, unlike most) I still think it begins and ends strongly and has the best mix of the modern more theatrical Muse to the older rawer and rockier Muse. Also has B&H, which is my favorite Muse song.

Origin of Symmetry - Flows great for the first half. Full of riffs, energy, and all out rocky goodness with some nice classical and opera like influences. I think a lot of Matt's best lyrics are in OoS. There's no big factor as to why I pick Absolution over this, but I just do.

Black Holes & Revelations - This album is not very loved, but I still think they have a lot of good work here. MotP, KoC, Take A Bow, and Hoodoo are incredible. Something feels lacking hearing the whole album though, but it's far from disappointing.

Showbiz - To me not their most polished and refined work. Overdue and Sober really don't do for me. But it definitely makes up in just pure emotion. I'd say Showbiz has more raw emotion than OoS.

Resistance - I slowly feel more disappointed over time with this album. Some of the songs translated great live but felt rather dull on the album. There's not much of a direction either for both the themes of the songs, and the way the songs are produced. Like the organ in US which doesn't have much of a purpose. The strings in Exo. 2 & 3 are really there to play a few notes accompanying Matt, as opposed to what you might expect from a symphony.

1.Origin of Symmetry-Used to be second, but I listened to it much more before R&L and I loved the SD and Hyper Music performances at R&L.

2.Absolution-IMO only like 0.01% below Origin for my tastes. I still love it.

3.Black Holes & Revelations- I love CoD, Hoodoo, TaB and MotP. I don't care if it wasn't produced good, I still love a lot of the songs and b-sides.

4.The Resistance-I don't get why everyone hates on this either. I only love Unnatural Selection, MK Ultra, IBTY, and all of Exo, but other than that I like all the other songs(yes,even GL, it's one of their worst songs but still ok IMO) I didn't like TR that much, but it grew on me.

5.Showbiz- I only love Showbiz, Sunburn, MM, and HTAILY, all the rest I like. I think The Killer's "Hot Fuss" is a better first album and same for Coldplay's "Parachutes"

EDIT: I also love KoC and I know that Absolution doesn't flow good, but I still prefer it over OoS.

Resistance - I slowly feel more disappointed over time with this album. Some of the songs translated great live but felt rather dull on the album. There's not much of a direction either for both the themes of the songs, and the way the songs are produced. Like the organ in US which doesn't have much of a purpose. The strings in Exo. 2 & 3 are really there to play a few notes accompanying Matt, as opposed to what you might expect from a symphony.

I agree with the fact that Exo is not really a symphony. It's more like a mixture of a concerto and a symphony, where the piano is the 'solo instrument'. It's prominent in the beginning and the end of the song, accompanied by the strings (in Exo 3 the strings become more and more prominent with time, you can easily hear the 1st violin, but also the cello becomes more prominent) . In the middle of the song the drums come in and they take the lead with the strings, taking it over from the piano (which you (almost) can't hear anymore), who comes back more prominent in the end.

The piano obviously has the melody, but I wouldn't say the strings just play a few notes to accompany Matt. If you say it like that you make it seem like they're unnecessary while you really can't leave the strings out of the song, they give it something extra.

As for US, I agree with you on that. I really like the lyrics and the rest of the song though. But the organ, yeah, could have done without that.

1. The Resistance; I can't believe so many ppl don't like The Resistance, it's full of awesome songs. And Exogenesis just finishes it perfectly (I'm a huge fan of classical music/piano music). Not to mention that this album has my favourite song in it: Resistance :happy:

2. Black Holes And Revelations; very good album, lots of good songs so close 2nd. But The Resistance has something the other albums don't have (in my opinion).

3. Absolution; Only just before OoS cause of 'Time is running out' and 'Butterflies and hurricanes'.

4. Origin of Symmetry; Could have been 3rd too, it changes a lot, but right now Absolution wins it.

5. Showbiz; I have to say that I don't know all the songs on this album, so that's prolly also why it's ranked last. And yes, I could listen to all of them first and then post this, but by only listening one time to a song I can't decide if it's really good or not. Besides, we're ranking MUSE albums, none of them is bad, just less good.

:yesey: I agree completely

Archived