What Is Your Favourite Muse Album?  

1,471 members have voted

1. 1. What Is Your Favourite Muse Album?

Based on the music and ignoring the horrible mastering (loudness war) on BH&R:

1. Black Holes - 10/10

2. Origin - 10/10

3. Hullabaloo (B sides) - 9/10

3. Absolution - 8/10

4. Showbiz - 8/10

5. The Resistance - 7/10

Not judging The 2nd Law yet.

Hi all, first post on this site - but Muse fan since 1999 - I've had the pleasure/pain of anticipating desperately the release of all 6 Muse albums. And I've only ever been disappointed once.

Anyhow:

1 The Resistance (very unusual for a long time Muse fan, I know, but I adore it)

2 Absolution

3 Showbiz

4 OoS

5 The 2nd Law (but still early days)

6 BH&R

Well...if I look into singles, or the most hyped songs (Supremacy, Madness, Survival) - the 2nd Law is for me better than TR (Uprising, Resistance, UD). But as a whole I would have to put The 2nd law (sadly) last - there are songs that I really hate (Explorers for example) and the most of this album is kind of boring...But I really dig the first 4 songs ! And live version of Follow me and (surprisingly) Big Freeze too...SO NOW: 1st Abso, 2nd OoS, 3rd BHaR, 4th Showbiz, 5th TR and 6th T2L...Might change though with more listenings and after seeing them live...

I don't get the "whole album" hype - Supremacy and Survival are great and for me top 20 Muse songs, Madness tops UD, Panic Station is funny, Animals is a masterpiece musically (but I don't enjoy it much to be honest) but after that ?

Well...if I look into singles, or the most hyped songs (Supremacy, Madness, Survival) - the 2nd Law is for me better than TR (Uprising, Resistance, UD). But as a whole I would have to put The 2nd law (sadly) last - there are songs that I really hate (Explorers for example) and the most of this album is kind of boring...But I really dig the first 4 songs ! And live version of Follow me and (surprisingly) Big Freeze too...SO NOW: 1st Abso, 2nd OoS, 3rd BHaR, 4th Showbiz, 5th TR and 6th T2L...Might change though with more listenings and after seeing them live...

I don't get the "whole album" hype - Supremacy and Survival are great and for me top 20 Muse songs, Madness tops UD, Panic Station is funny, Animals is a masterpiece musically (but I don't enjoy it much to be honest) but after that ?

Well you said you like Follow Me and Big Freeze too, that's already 7 songs out of 12 you like :LOL:

You don't like at all the two The 2nd Laws and Chris' songs, I assume

does everybody own showbiz??? last place by miles...

1.OOS / Showbiz 10/10 sunburn, muscle museum, falling down, cave, showbiz, unintended, uno, sober, htaiwly are not only "a few" awesome songs for me ^^ . emotional like a rollercoaster ride, so it can compensate the technical skills the band developed through the years. technically matt sings far better today, but the way he used his voice during the first 2 records is mindblowing and much more dynamic than nowadays. take showbiz for example, its one of the easiest songs to play on a guitar, but the "tension" it creates shows, that you dont need much ingredients, to wrote a kick ass song.

2.Absolution 10/10 simply rocks, but i didnt want to put 3 records in first place

3.BHAR 8/10 Knights of Cydonia (best live song together with plug in baby)

4.Resistance 8/10 mk ultra, i belong to you (totally underrated for me)

5.2nd Law 7/10 mid part of the cd makes this the "worst" one for me (listened to it like 12 times now)

Well you said you like Follow Me and Big Freeze too, that's already 7 songs out of 12 you like :LOL:

You don't like at all the two The 2nd Laws and Chris' songs, I assume

:) I know, it sounds riddiculous...I think Save me is ok...Liquid State not that much...the last two are good too...But the overall album feels weeker IMHO than The Resistance (and the others)...It's a hard competiton - I like basically every Muse song - even GL, Soldier's Poem, even NSC (minus the lyrics) - I just feel T2L (as a whole album) is my least favourite album...But that doesn't mean I don't like any particular song (Explorers :rolleyes: ) I just like them less than the other...If I compare songs like ToaDA, Falling Down, Screenager, Hoodoo and even GL with those on T2L, I must say the previous albums win...

But I'm pleased with the "hits" so far...Supremacy is experimental, kick-a*se and emotional, Madness and Panic Station are cool...And Survival (when I actually started liking the choir :eek: ) is another great Muse anthem like KoC, Uprising etc...

My gut instinct:

1. OoS

2. Abso

3. Resistance

4=. BHaR/Showbiz

It's too early to place T2L just yet I think...

It would be interesting to see if those who rate OoS and Abso highly are the older musers for whom these albums bring back some sort of nostalgia and the emotions of being young teenagers listening to these albums or if there are some new musers who aren't teenagers who rate OoS above the others. Nothing that anyone brings out will ever top those two for me because they were important in my formative years and got me through the silly ups and downs of teenage life so I'm much more emotionally attached to them than other albums but I don't know what I'd feel listening to them all for the first time now. No doubt this subject has been discussed before on these boards though so I'll just shut up now... OoS rules :)

P.s. To fit in with my above theory, I guess the reason I'm rating Showbiz lower than the more recent ones is that I must've listened to it when I was too young for it to have had a real emotional impact on me? Who knows... I just never really think to put on BHaR or Showbiz. I'm always pleasantly surprised when I do though.

My gut instinct:

1. OoS

2. Abso

3. Resistance

4=. BHaR/Showbiz

It's too early to place T2L just yet I think...

It would be interesting to see if those who rate OoS and Abso highly are the older musers for whom these albums bring back some sort of nostalgia and the emotions of being young teenagers listening to these albums or if there are some new musers who aren't teenagers who rate OoS above the others. Nothing that anyone brings out will ever top those two for me because they were important in my formative years and got me through the silly ups and downs of teenage life so I'm much more emotionally attached to them than other albums but I don't know what I'd feel listening to them all for the first time now. No doubt this subject has been discussed before on these boards though so I'll just shut up now... OoS rules :)

P.s. To fit in with my above theory, I guess the reason I'm rating Showbiz lower than the more recent ones is that I must've listened to it when I was too young for it to have had a real emotional impact on me? Who knows... I just never really think to put on BHaR or Showbiz. I'm always pleasantly surprised when I do though.

Well - I started listening to Muse in 2010, at first I knew only a couple of songs from Absolution (Butterflies and Hurricanes, Hysteria and Stockholm Syndrome), then I saw the Wembley DVD and after that the older stuff - OoS and Showbiz...And after everything I got The Resistance...And really - I needed some time and multiple listenings at first to digest Matt's vocals (Butterflies and Hurricanes were the only song from Muse on my Ipod for like 3 months)...I really loved Absolution and BHaR just a little less...But I can never forget the first time I heard OoS album - especially Bliss to Space Dementia and CE to Micro Cuts and Megalomania ! Now my favourite is still Abso, but then just an inch after is OoS and I love also Showbiz - far more then TR...

So there you have it...I'm 23 and I started listening to Muse in 2010 and I still love Abso and OoS the most...Really - out of my top 10 songs 8 are from Abso/OoS and I think Absolution tour is the best and peaked at The Earls Court gigs...Too bad we have only audio :-( I'd kill to have an Earls Court DVD... :-(

• 2 weeks later...

Recently i was asked to pen a list of my fav. albums in order to introduce a mate to Muse...got me thinking hard

1.Absolution

2.OoS (close second)

.... (there's a quite a gap but i still enjoy the others)

3.BH & R

4.The Resistance

5.T2L

6.Showbiz

:happy:

Archived