What Is Your Favourite Muse Album?  

1,471 members have voted

1. 1. What Is Your Favourite Muse Album?

I can't really choose! I change my mind every week!:rolleyes: But most of the times I think it's Black Holes and Revelations and then Absolution!

My advice is when you have a day free, listen to all the labums starting from showbiz to The Resistance. Afterwards you'll just know.

I agree with the fact that Exo is not really a symphony. It's more like a mixture of a concerto and a symphony, where the piano is the 'solo instrument'. It's prominent in the beginning and the end of the song, accompanied by the strings (in Exo 3 the strings become more and more prominent with time, you can easily hear the 1st violin, but also the cello becomes more prominent) . In the middle of the song the drums come in and they take the lead with the strings, taking it over from the piano (which you (almost) can't hear anymore), who comes back more prominent in the end.

The piano obviously has the melody, but I wouldn't say the strings just play a few notes to accompany Matt. If you say it like that you make it seem like they're unnecessary while you really can't leave the strings out of the song, they give it something extra.

As for US, I agree with you on that. I really like the lyrics and the rest of the song though. But the organ, yeah, could have done without that.

OK well yeah I didn't give the strings in Exo enough credit, I was mainly trying to justify my putting Resistance last. I do think they play a big role, but I just don't see it as a role they haven't done before (Blackout and Hoodoo for example used strings greatly). My main point was that it just wasn't this epic symphony that was expected, but rather 3 very good songs with orchestral arrangements. I consider it something like that. I wouldn't call the strings unnecessary.

Origin of Symmetry - first 7 songs are just amazing. So strong, back to back. But then Screenager kills it a little bit. Darkshines is good, Feeling Good is boring but Megalomania is a good finish.

Black Holes and Revelations - has the best set of individual songs for me: Take a Bow, Map, Assassin and Knights. But has serious lows such as: Exo-politics and Solider's Poem.

The Resistance - not sure why there's so much hate. Uprising is quality, United States of Eurasia is one of their strongest songs made, MK Ultra, Unnatural Selection and then Exogenesis. I quite like Resistance and Undisclosed Desires every now and then too. Guiding Light needs shooting though.

Absolution - don't get the rave. Stockholm, Hysteria, Apocalypse Please, TSP and Ruled by Secrecy do it for me. The rest don't. Doesn't flow. Endlessly, Falling away with You, Butterflies, Atheist etc, just don't light my fire at all.

Showbiz - Never listen to it. Sounds too tinny, if they re-recorded it I might like it. Sunburn, Muscle Museum, Cave and Showbiz are the only songs that have something about them.

Overall, I don't think Muse produce great albums, they produce fantastic songs. No album is perfect by any means.

Kinda Agree with you on OoS, the album lacks after Micro Cuts with the exception of Megalomania. However live those songs are still killer.

Black Holes and Revelations I like every song on it except for Exo-Politics which is just a bad song ... my least favorite muse song.

1. Origin of Symmetry - One of my favourite albums ever, I like every song on there (yes, even Feeling Good! :eek::LOL:)

2. Absolution - Really don't think the flow works, particularly towards the end, and some songs aren't great. Overall though, still a fantastic album. Has a good mix of piano/guitar songs, they've just been put in the wrong order.

3. Black Holes and Revelations - Very mixed album - TAB, CoD, SMBH, Hoodoo and Knights are great, but there's also Soldier's Poem and Invincible which just aren't.

4. Showbiz - Again, some fantastic songs, namely Muscle Museum, Showbiz, HTAILY and Cave, but most of the other songs do nothing for me.

5 The Resistance - Not as bad as it's made out to be, but the only song that I really love is Exogenesis part one. The rest of exo's pretty good too, and contrary to popular opinion I rather like UD, but the rest of the tracks are nothing special - and then there's Guiding Light...

Either Absolution or Origin... i can never make my mind up ;/

So i do a list of songs i like from each -

Origin Likes:

New Born, Bliss, Space Dementia's Outro, Hyper Music, PIB, Citizen, Micro Cuts & Darkshines

Absolution Likes:

Apocalypse, TiRO, SFA, SS, Hysteria, B&H, Blackout, RBS

So Absolution has more songs i like, BUT, the songs from Origin that i like, i prefer to MOST of Absolution (Bliss for eg.). However i still cannot stand Screenager, and im not overly enthusiastic on Megalomania. So in the end i can;t decide and end up back where i started. :LOL:

Absolution of course. If OOS had had Dead Star and In Your World instead of Feeling Good, Screenager and Megalomania, it would have been perfect. Not that they are bad, but DS and IYW are waaaay better!

Megalomania > > > > > > > In Your World

If BHaR was as consistently good as TaB, MotP and Koc it would hands down be the best.

But things like Starlight drag it down a lot. Also, great as they mostly are, songs like Hoodoo, Soldier's Poem and Invincible meake the album feel really slow for the most part.

Can't go wrong with Hoodoo live at Wembley!

Exo Politics is one of the few songs I enjoyed of Black Holes. But even that sounds pretty whiney now, for me anyway. It's not a bad record, just doesn't really do it for me. Though Supermassive was a cool comeback...

I don't get the lack of love for Screenager and Megalomania. The former in particular, it's one of their most intricate and beautiful songs. And Origin needed a bit of a breather by that point. But then I'm old school, I think Origin and Absolution are the best albums, and Hullabaloo captures them at their best live. No spectacle, just three musicians displaying unbelievable power and some great, great songs.

Dead Star/In Your World is up there with my favourite stand-alone singles by any band, and Reading 2002 will always be the gig of my life. Origin best album all the way!

Exo Politics is one of the few songs I enjoyed of Black Holes. But even that sounds pretty whiney now, for me anyway. It's not a bad record, just doesn't really do it for me. Though Supermassive was a cool comeback...

I don't get the lack of love for Screenager and Megalomania. The former in particular, it's one of their most intricate and beautiful songs. And Origin needed a bit of a breather by that point. But then I'm old school, I think Origin and Absolution are the best albums, and Hullabaloo captures them at their best live. No spectacle, just three musicians displaying unbelievable power and some great, great songs.

Dead Star/In Your World is up there with my favourite stand-alone singles by any band, and Reading 2002 will always be the gig of my life. Origin best album all the way!

I think Screenager is incredible. Not perfect, but I love the style. I don't care that so many dislike it :phu:

Megalomania also has my favorite Muse lyrics.

Goodness, it's been a while since I've posted (seriously) on MM! hello, all!

1. tie between Black Holes - now I don't think the songs on here are all the best, this is definitely the most solid album for me. I can listen through it numerous times without getting bored, and the songs always tend to stick with me throughout my day. Even though I don't think it's their most impressive album, it's probably my favorite just because it's so catchy and fun to listen to.

Origin - this one has a special place in my heart for me, because it's the first good album I ever bought. "New Born" was my first Muse song ever, and it pretty much made the bridge for my prepubescent self into a happier life and good music. While I like all of the songs, I find myself skipping over "Micro Cuts" and "Screenager". I definitely think this is probably the most impressive album of theirs. This is what defines Muse for me.

2. Absolution - it was so close to making a three-way tie for first, but the reason it doesn't is because even though it's a beautiful album, it doesn't flow very nicely. I absolutely adore most of the songs on there, but all together they seem a little...bland? but when you separate them they are gorgeous. do you guys know what I mean? :LOL: I probably listen to this one more than I do OoS, but it's second because it's not as interesting.

3. The Resistance - like Absolution, this one doesn't flow very nicely. all of my favorite songs are at the beginning (Uprising, Resistance, UD) and the end (MK Ultra, Exo). the ones in the middle are still good, but I don't think they compliment each other well. this album seemed to build up to be spectacular and like nothing we've ever heard before, but it didn't live up to it's build-up. I still love it, but can't help but feel a little disappointed.

4. Showbiz - oh Showbiz, how I love you so. you're like a child to me. however, even though I love you so much, you're last because you are just that - a child. even though I love most of your songs (okay, I'm going to stop with the "love most of its songs" because muse is one of my fave bands, so of course I'm going to love most of their songs), they don't hold a candle to your successors. but don't think I don't love you! you're the only record I have in vinyl, so you're very special and dear to me.

Absolution

The Resistance

Black Holes & Revelations

Origin Of Symmetry

Showbiz

Okay, what the hell was I thinking back then? :wtf:

So, after giving all the albums a listen, my order changed a little:

1. Origin Of Symmetry - I used to think all the songs were good, but just sounded pretty weak on the album. Turns out I was wrong, and the songs indeed sound just great. That, and the fact that many of my favourite songs from Muse are from this album, makes it my favourite Muse album. Not that far from being a perfect album. This and Absolution pretty much defines Muse for me.

2. Absolution - Was my favourite album for a long time, and for a reason too. It has some awesome songs, but as an album it doesn't kinda flow. However, almost every song feels connected to each other, and by that I mean that there is like that same dark feeling almost throughout the whole album. It's kind of hard to explain this, it just a feeling I get. The reason it loses to OoS is mostly because most songs just aren't as good as the songs on OoS (plus I just happen to like the OoS-style more), and I seriously question the production on some songs. Still, it's not far from being a perfect album either, it just has a few minor flaws in it.

3. Black Holes & Revelations - What can I say? Just some awesome songs put together in an amazing album. While it lacks that same energy and emotion from Absolution and OoS, it makes up for it by bringing more influences to the mix (I especially love all the electronic influences and stuff) and by having a great production.

4. Showbiz - Just pure emotion and angst. Three guys rocking out in an awesome way. What else can I say?

5. The Resistance - I've tried to like it more, but it just feels like it's seriously lacking something. The songs are generally good, but all that soul and emotion feels gone. It's also all over the place, jumping around from song to song without any kind of flow. And I generally just don't like the sound and production. US and MK Ultra are the highlights.

• 1 month later...

My favourite album has to be Showbiz. Even though I don't like Overdue. But then Hate this and I'll love you comes in the end and saves the album again. But OoS is a close second. It's not one song one that album I don't like. It's great and I'm so glad I were at Reading this year to experience the whole album live. But I kind of feel that Showbiz give me a bit more. And the little extra; Unintended is on it. It's the first Muse song I ever heard and even though it's been around ten years, Unintended is still the most beautiful song I know.

Archived