What Is Your Favourite Muse Album?  

1,471 members have voted

1. 1. What Is Your Favourite Muse Album?

• 2 weeks later...

Absolution for me, perfect balance between downbeat and upbeat songs and some of their strongest material of either category to boot.

OoS comes a very close second though.

I couldn't really pick a worst. Showbiz probably has the least stand out tracks on it if I had to choose.

Favourite:

Absolution

I like the songs more, and it feels more concistant in terms of quality, direction, atmosphere and so on, it sounds the most 'focussed' to me, and I just generally preffer the music on there to all the others. Origin is a close second, though.

My least favourite is probably Showbiz. Half of it is great, but I don't like the other half, it's too angsty and doesn't have the quality of later albums.

1. Absolution

2. Origin of Symmetry

3=. Black Holes & Revelations

3=. The Resistance

5. Showbiz

mmm I like them all, and it is very hard for me to choose one of them without thinking about the others... I guess it is like when you have to decide whether you love your mom more than your dad or something like that hahaha

I voted BH&R ages ago but now its Abso followed by OoS with BH&R third, The Resistance fourth and Showbiz fifth.

I agree that Abso is pretty much flawless through out with two clear halves without a noticable weak track except possibly FAWY. OoS has more stand out songs and the first half is stronger than Abso but after Micro Cuts it goes downhill only to be saved by Megalomania at the end.

Absolution for me, was my first Muse album too.

There's no other Muse album which I could honestly say that I love every song from start to finish. I tend to find that there's great songs spread over all their albums which appeal to me, but interspersed with not so good ones.

If I had to say a least favourite I would have to go for Resistance as there's a few on that that don't really do ir for me (can't stand Undislosed Desires), although there are some real classics on there too! Well, Exogenisis parts 1 - 3 actually, :D

Having done all of the "Rate Album threads" whilst trying to be as fair and accurate to myself as possible, I've found my new Muse album order of preference:

1) Origin Of Symmetry - 9.5/10

2) Absolution - 8.25/10

3) Black Holes And Revelations - 8.05/10

4) Hullabaloo Soundtrack - 7.9/10

5) Showbiz - 7.6/10

6) The Resistance 7.1/10

Had to do my own little Hullabaloo average too, just to see! I'm very surprised BH&R scored as high as it did. I thought the tracks I dislike would cancel out the score of those I love to create a much lower average. Still, it's nice to surprise yourself!

It's not just about averages though, so if I were to discard those scores I think BH&R would sink lower, just because it does not flow very well or work that well as a whole (whereas The Resistance, despite coming last here, does flow - bar the minor atrocity that is Guiding Light). So essentially, the top 2 are fairly fixed, and the remaining 4 are pretty fluid.

Am I the ONLY one who put OoS either near or at the bottom of their list? :eek:

You either haven't been posting much or haven't been paying much attention in your short time on this board. :LOL:

I think the poll here's probably pretty accurate! You won't be the only one, but you are in a very small minority. Usually with those who love the bad cheesy ballads, and find abrasive noise hurts their delicate ears. Is that last bit too patronising? Probably. Sorry to those offended! But what is undisputed is that OOS is the fan favourite, especially on this board. Although I've noticed quite a surge in Absolution votes over the last few months. Maybe because it represents a nice meeting place between the old and the new, which encourages newer fans to slowly gravitate towards it... Not sure about that one. For me Absolution used to be tied with OOS for a couple of years after it first came out, but whilst Absolution has grown off me a bit over the years, OOS still manages to amaze and excite me pretty much every time I listen to it, and that's after ten years (wow, that long ago?). Which is pretty incredible really.

You either haven't been posting much or haven't been paying much attention in your short time on this board. :LOL:

I think the poll here's probably pretty accurate! You won't be the only one, but you are in a very small minority. Usually with those who love the bad cheesy ballads, and find abrasive noise hurts their delicate ears. Is that last bit too patronising? Probably. Sorry to those offended! But what is undisputed is that OOS is the fan favourite, especially on this board. Although I've noticed quite a surge in Absolution votes over the last few months. Maybe because it represents a nice meeting place between the old and the new, which encourages newer fans to slowly gravitate towards it... Not sure about that one. For me Absolution used to be tied with OOS for a couple of years after it first came out, but whilst Absolution has grown off me a bit over the years, OOS still manages to amaze and excite me pretty much every time I listen to it, and that's after ten years (wow, that long ago?). Which is pretty incredible really.

I've been posting around this board a lot since January.

But damn you sure got me with the "those who love the bad cheesy ballads" thing. Well I don't like things like Love Is Forever kind of cheesy, I love Unintended and Sing For Absolution. Okay maybe I get one point for the bad cheesy ballad thing in loving Mon Coeur S'ouvre A Ta Voix, but meh. ;) "...and find abrasive noise hurts their delicate ears" <- Kind of maybe, but I think ^^^^^^^^^^^that stuff explained most of it. However I do like Showbiz second best (next to Absolution) because I love his voice in it most of all, and I like BH&R equally as much as Showbiz because it's so well put together. I'd call BH&R the "brilliant" album, even though it ties for second place on my list. Absolution just sends my mind on a transfixing state of... oh noes, transfixing mode engaged:

I call "apocalypse please!" because I know our time is running out. And the moment it reaches that 21st date of December of 2011, I will be singing for absolution as if I have Stockholm syndrome. But I'm warning you, at that moment when I am falling away with you at the moment of fate, I may go into a strange interlude, a sort of hysteria right before out whole world falls into a giant blackout. After the terrible Armageddon, the people will be swarming like butterflies and hurricanes when they're lost in the groove of an everlasting and never ending cycle of trying to find the small print - the answer to why it's happening. In a stream of fury, the people realize that the world they once knew would be eternally missed, and it will remain so endlessly. Religion was relinquished and proven wrong as soon as the myths of apocalypse were true, and there they lie dying, wondering: what are the thoughts of a dying atheist? There are none, except wonder why, why this event had to be ruled by secrecy.

Archived