What Is Your Favourite Muse Album?  

1,471 members have voted

1. 1. What Is Your Favourite Muse Album?

Someone said it ealier.... i think,, On Origin of Symmetry, there are fucking epic songs like NB, Bliss, PiB, CE, MC

FEELING GOOD. i joke.

But the rest of them are like... meh, Darkshines is alright, but the rest, aren't great, and look worse because of the great songs, so, as whole album, BH&R is my fav. But for individual songs, OoS.

Oh, the Resistance isn't THAT bad :p

My favourite is origin of symmetry ... I like how there's a variety of songs on it and I love the cover art :LOL::p

My least favourite... maybe the hullabaloo soundtrack ... but that's actually because I still haven't heard a lot of the songs off that album ( I don't have a lot of time to listen to music these days :mad: )

I have a friend who loves absolution too though :)

This is a very open poll indeed when you think about the situation with the topic in question...

Now obviously the people who prefer mainstream pop rock will like albums such as BHAR and TR, but the people who can indulge in the sound effects and long periods of random noise that MUSE make on their more alternative material 9like they are truely known for :happy:) will prefer the first 3 albums.

This whole topic depends on your music taste and obviously with this being a MUSE forum where I would imagine the majority of members love their trademark alternative style; I would say that 1 of the first three albums will win! ;)

Not always true. I usually like weird, experimental stuff more than pop, but BHaR is still my favorite Muse album.

And if you write MUSE one more time, I will kick a puppy. It's not all caps.

It depends on what you define as "best." I love all of their albums, almost equally, although I think some are better than others. As far as favorite album, I don't really have one, but I think their best overall album is Black Holes and Revelations. But here are some cateories I came up with:

BEST SOUND QUALITY:

1. The Resistance (It is powerful. It has orchestra throughout, which adds an extra unique touch to everything. It is very classically influenced, drawing from some of the highest regarded musicians in the history of music, like Chopin and Beethoven. Matt's vocals are straight operatic in the entire album, very strong and powerful and he hits every note perfectly. Another good way to test this sound quality is to turn the volume up really high: the sound quality does not distort and it sounds even better).

2. Black Holes and Revelations (The guitar is intense when it needs to be and there is a perfect blend of instruments thoughout the entire album. Although I have always thought Matt Belamy sang well, the vocals on this album were a step above Absolution)

3. Absolution (Its a very "magical" and "spacey" sound throughout it. There is a nice mix of heavy distortion rock songs and emotionally touching softer songs. The second half ot the album is much better than the first half, in my opinion).

4. Origin of Symmetry (Lots of piano makes this album unique, with some great guitar riffs. Sometimes this album is almost too loud and distorted though)

5. Showbiz (Terrible sound quality compared their their newer stuff. The songs are pretty good but the mixing is awful. The vocal track is too low, the tracks are balanced very well. Just a mess at times, unfortunately)

BEST SONGS

1. Black Holes and Revelations (There are no bad songs on this album, like most of their albums. I consider this album a concept album, as most of the songs fit a similar style and the lyrics are all very political, fitting with a theme. Starlight is what they are famous for, and for good reason, its a beautiful song. The vocals on Hoodoo are haunting. Assassin is good for all the metalheads, great guitar on that one. Overall, all the songs are great)

2. Absolution (The first songs I ever heard from Muse was from this album, and they stayed with me. This is the most uniquely "Muse" album, as these songs all have a very distinct and original sound.)

3. The Resistance (The 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 8th, and the symphony tracks are all amazing. The rest are a little boring. I hate the first track, personally, but I still think its a good song. Guiding light has amazing vocals but is an extremely pointless song otherwise. Unnatural Selection is stuck between a metal song and a classical song in a bad way. But the symphony is astonishingly good, perhaps their best artistic work yet. The only problem is that it is a little short. Matt should have went with his original plan and did an entire hour long album of a rock symphony.)

4. Origin of Symmetry (All of the songs are fun to listen to. The 2nd track, Bilss, has the MOST beautiful piano I have ever heard, however, it lasts like 10 seconds and you never hear it again until the end... what a waste.)

5. Showbiz (The songs are pretty boring and don't sound that great. Sunburn is a great song, would be even greater if the mixing were better. But this was their first album, when they were still searching for their identity as a band, and you notice this. They try lots of different styles.)

BEST LYRICS

1. Absolution (These lyrics actually stuck with me. The whole album has a "paranoid" feel to it in the lyrics. The first half of the album is very intense and almost angry. The second half is extremely depressing. Blackout is the most depressing song they've done, as it sounds like a midlife crisis song, lamenting the fact that you can't get your years you've past back, and paranoid that after death there is nothing, as the clock ticks away. Butterflies and Hurricanes is about their friend who died, an almost cynical memorial but very beautiful. Thoughts of a Dying Athiest carries the Blackout lyrical theme. And Endlessly has the greatest chorus that Muse has ever created.

2. Origin of Symmetry (I don't know what these lyrics are about but they sound good, rolling off the tongue well.)

3. Black Holes and Revelations (The lyrics are hard hitting at times and very clever and witty at times. This is the one album where you can get lost listening to lyrics rather than the music. But I don't find the lyrics as well written musically, as they can be almost awkward at times)

4. The Resistance (The lyrics are all pretty vague. His voice sounds amazing on this album, so the more lyrics the better. The one high point, lyrically, is the Exogenesis Symphony, an artistic story about life on Earth ending and astronauts going out into space to colonize a new planning, only to realize this new colony will fall to the same fate eventually)

5. Showbiz (Have no idea what the lyrics are about, and none of them caught my attention)

BEST VOCALS

1. The Resistance (Best vocals I've heard from any rock band, period.)

2. Black Holes and Revelations (You can tell he was learning to sing opera at this point...)

3. Origin of Symmetry (Lots of super high pitch vibrato singing. Actually very impressive.)

4. Absolution (Sort of in between the high pitch and lower pitch stages of his singing)

5. Showbiz (The singing wasn't bad at all, just not as good as their other albums)

BEST GUITAR

1. Origin of Symmetry (Some great guitar riffs and guitar dominated songs at times. Very intense and loud guitar. And they rated Plug in Baby top 20 guitar riffs of all time)

2. Black Holes and Revelations (Not many guitar solos, but the guitar layered every song perfectly)

3. Absolution (Although the bass is more prominent than guitar, the guitar comes through at times)

4. Showbiz (Solid guitar)

5. The Resistance (There is not very much guitar in the album. Lots of piano, strings, and base, but not a ton of guitar, at least not noticeable. United States of Eurasia has a nice guitar riff in the short lived chorus sounded just like Queen. The other tracks have some cool sounding guitar here and there but not exactly complex guitar. The greatest sounding guitar they've ever done sound quality wise comes in Exogenisis Part 1, towards the end, but lasts only 5 seconds.)

BEST BASS

1. Absolution (Very distorted but cool sounding bass throughout the album)

2. Showbiz (Some sweet bass riffs on lots of the songs)

3. Black Holes and Revelations (The bass is great, especially in choruses, but nothing spectacular I thought... although I'm not an expert of bass guitar)

4. The Resistance (Held the songs together like glue, but nothing overly complex. The breakdown in Unnatural Selection is the high point for bass I thought- unless that's guitar, not bass)

5. Origin of Symmetry (Just happens to be last on this list. Nothing bad)

BEST DRUMS (I don't listen for drums usually, so this list is random)

1. The Resistance (very unique drum style)

2. Absolution (The drums build up nice in a lot of their songs)

3. Showbiz (Drums are pretty important)

4. Origin of Symmetry (Keeps the intense beat)

5. Black Holes and Revelations (Some of the tracks hardly have drums in them, like Hoodoo, but the drums are good in this album)

BEST PIANO

1. Origin of Symmetry (some amazing piano riffs, like the first 3 tracks).

2. The Resistance (I love the grand piano they use throughout the album. Part 2 of exogensis is pure classical piano, as is the end of United States of Eurasia and the opera section of I Belong to You. Overall, great sounding piano, but doesn't drive the songs, only makes them sound better.

3. Absolution (Butterflies and Hurricanes has some astonishing piano playing in the breakdown. The track Absolution has a haunting piano melody. Great piano throughout whenever its used)

4. Showbiz (Sunburn is a great song in terms of piano. It appears in other places and always is a nice break)

5. Black Holes and Revelations (Besides Starlight and Hoodoo, there is not much piano in this album)

So those are my categories. Hard to say what's the "best" album. My favorite is The Resistance because it carries this classical art feel to it which I find very refreshing and inspiring to hear. I love their intense and epic rock songs, so I love all their albums. But the sound quality alone makes The Resistance stand out. It does get boring fairly quick but I never have stopped appreciating how artistic it is in terms of the unique sound. In a close second, to me, comes Black Holes and Revelations. This is probably their best album, I think. Absolution is probably the most memorable. Origin of Symmetry is their loudest and most "rock" album. Showbiz is a good album for their first album, but not very impressive compared to their other stuff.

So there is my giant review. I signed up to this forum to post this and here it is (if anyone actually reads this!). I'm not a musician but I am a filmmaker, somewhat related, so my opinions come from that side of the artistic field (I love concept stuff, crescendos, lofty and spacy sound, memorable choruses, intense guitar solos, etc...). And of course, I only like bands with good vocalists, which may be why my favorite albums are the ones with the better quality singing.

Can't wait for their new album. No matter what direction they go I'm sure it will sound good, as everything Matt Belamy touches turns to gold.

Not always true. I usually like weird, experimental stuff more than pop, but BHaR is still my favorite Muse album.

And if you write MUSE one more time, I will kick a puppy. It's not all caps.

Terribly sorry you have some sort of anger issue :LOL:... but im looking in the top left corner of this website right now and it is all capitals :(

1st: Origin of Symmetry. Riffs, riffs, BASS! PIANO! It has everything. I love it, my favourite album for personal reasons.

2nd: The Resistance: Like Origin, for me there isn't a song where I think "ewww". It has some of Muse's best material to date.

3rd: Absolution: Great album, feels too long sometimes though, and I don't like some songs (like Endlessly)

Tied 4th place: Showbiz and BH&R: Showbiz has Overdue on it, which is god-awful.

BH&R has SP on it, which is just as awful. Both have their strong and weak points. I like them both.

Well, this has changed :LOL:

This was during the honeymoon period, so it counts as null...

Right now it's:

1.Origin of Symmetry

2. Absolution

3. BHaR

4. Showbiz

5. The Resistance

I just can't listen to TR anymore.

Hmm...this is difficult, I love all the albums for different reasons, but I'm bored so here goes.

1. Absolution- I love every song on here, I love the apocalyptic feel that never really lets up even on the slower songs, I even love the chaotic flow of the album. My favorite album of all time.

2. OoS/The Resistance- I really can't decide here. The first half of OoS is just absolutely perfect, a masterpiece. But the flow of the 2nd half kind of brings it down just slightly. TR I can listen to all the way through without skipping (even Guiding Light), although I like the individual songs on OoS more. Oh, and Exogenesis may be one of, if not THE most amazing thing I've heard on a rock album.

3. BHaR- This album contains some of my absolute favorite songs (Hoodoo and KoC are epic works of art), and there isn't a song I don't like. The only reason it's down here is because the flow of the album is a little awkward.

4. Showbiz- I really do love Showbiz, but a couple songs which aren't necessarily bad just bring the album down. Songs like Sober and Overdue I almost always skip.

Archived