791 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think?

• Sounds awesome.
    • Sounds good.
    • Sounds OK.
    • Doesn't sound good.
    • Sounds terrible.

• 3 weeks later...
I think the production lets this track down. If they'd gone for a much rawer, ballsier sound it would be a cracking track.

Funny how when I was listening to the instrumental I thought how especially raw it all sounded. The guitar work sounds very untouched and unrefined.

Funny how when I was listening to the instrumental I thought how especially raw it all sounded. The guitar work sounds very untouched and unrefined.

Maybe so, but it still lacks some serious grunt. It just chugs along quite unspectacularly really. Some distortion would really bring this track to life!

Yeah exactly. The way it's played it's pretty stripped back and raw, but the tone they went with doesn't have enough impact.

Maybe so, but it still lacks some serious grunt. It just chugs along quite unspectacularly really. Some distortion would really bring this track to life!

Yep. I spend the whole of the main riff dying to hear a crash cymbal.

• 3 months later...

Unnatural Selection for me really hits the emotional crux. I've just been listening to it this morning and been affected by it, even though I've obviously already listened to it many times so just wanted to express what it is about it that makes it special.

It's a political, anti-capitalist song but it's the emotion that underlies that which makes it powerful for me. That argument that we're worth more than spending our short lives as pawns in this crap system is so affecting because of the emotion the music carries.

To me it's not about "oh you've got more money than me so that's not fair" it's about mortality, the thing that our lives and our worth is seen as so insignificant, and it's not just that it's seen like that, but the fact that it appears to be the truth. I'm certainly at a point when I don't know how to make sense of it. I don't know what anything's for.

It has become so apparent that as individuals we (well most of us) are largely insignificant, so all the more reason to make that time that we are here as enjoyable and as fulfilling as possible for everybody.

It's so bad that it's not, that we are being sold materialist gain as life goals, rather than more important stuff, and the worst part of it, is not quite knowing what the important stuff is. So I suppose wanting the truth is part of it, not truth about what political leaders or conglomerates are doing necessarily, or whether the economy is an illusion - a system of control, though that would be good, but the truth of what it's all about and ideas about how life experience can be made better. What is worth pursuing?

I totally relate to the darkness of the slow part of the song. I don't know, I get the feeling of being almost alone in questioning stuff and maybe I've got it wrong or people just choose not to talk about such things, but to me that is so empathetic and one of the reasons Muse are so special.

And another special thing is that they are exploring the antithesis, an ideal way to address all that dark reality - resort to the purple eyeshadow! :D

Still listening to this song... somehow.

The lyrics 'lucky don't care at all' I can relate to especially because of my parents, who are both very successful, well paid people... who don't give a flying fuck about the lower class and assume they're all lazy shits.

Archived