What do you think?  

791 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think?

• Sounds awesome.
    • Sounds good.
    • Sounds OK.
    • Doesn't sound good.
    • Sounds terrible.

Someone reported that the extended version was taken off YouTube, so here's a different one. The extra bit is at about :40. I think it was a good call leaving it off the album version. Seems a bit out of place, to me. Love the song, though! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qBPGjptTBc

Does the quiet breakdown in the song remind you of some other band?? I have this inkling they borrowed the idea off someone, but I can't quite put my finger on it at the moment.

EDIT: Oh nevermind, I remember now: it kinda reminds me of I Want You (She's So Heavy) by the Beatles. The slow breakdown at the end, I mean.

I was trying to figure this out earlier. I thought perhaps it was the Beatles this part reminds me of. Not sure if it's I Want You, though. Or maybe a Hendrix song? I can't quite place it. Ideas? Anyone? It's bugging me.

Someone reported that the extended version was taken off YouTube, so here's a different one. The extra bit is at about :40. I think it was a good call leaving it off the album version. Seems a bit out of place, to me. Love the song, though! :)

Does the quiet breakdown in the song remind you of some other band?? I have this inkling they borrowed the idea off someone, but I can't quite put my finger on it at the moment.

EDIT: Oh nevermind, I remember now: it kinda reminds me of I Want You (She's So Heavy) by the Beatles. The slow breakdown at the end, I mean.

I was trying to figure this out earlier. I thought perhaps it was the Beatles this part reminds me of. Not sure if it's I Want You, though. Or maybe a Hendrix song? I can't quite place it. Ideas? Anyone? It's bugging me.

Yeah it definately reminded me of I Want You when I first listened to it. I think it's the kind of lumbering bass. (Like in the I Want You chorus). And the drums are very similar.

That extra bit is horrible. I think even they thought it was too much of a Queen-trip to be placed there.

They might play it as a live intro at some point I presume.

Oh wow. If that we're actually released on that album with that little bit I probably wouldn't have liked the song. That bit is just obnoxious.

First of all, as far as comparisons go, I would only say there are elements of "New Born" and "Thoughts of a Dying Atheist" in this song. New Born because of the riff, which climbs up a dropped-D string with little chromatics added to a pentatonic scale and stopping at the high D and dropping an octave to the open string. The riff is VERY much like the new Born riff, which is good or bad depending on what you make of it. I hear "Thoughs of a Dying Atheist" because just like in that song's chorus we are given a minor chord, which drops to a minor dominant seventh chord, then a major chord which drops to a major seventh chord, giving that falling feeling. Again, the fact that it's reminiscent of other songs is not necessarily good or bad, but to deny the similarities is not an informed position. I wouldn't go so far as to compare it to "Citizen Erased," which I consider a real work of genius, in any way but in form, given that there is a slower interlude.

That being said, this song may be my favorite off of "Resistance." It has a sound that remains very Muse-y, and the guitar solos feel apropos, not just sort of thrown in like, all due respect, "Guiding Light." The guitar's harmonized eighth notes ("Counterbalance this comotion" etc.) is a new thing for them, but one that I like. It maintains a hard rock core, and the lyrics are, while Muse-ily pseudo-political, but not, to be frank, embarrassing (talking about "Uprising" here). A good song, but, as it's been said before, not good enough to break my top 10.

First of all, as far as comparisons go, I would only say there are elements of "New Born" and "Thoughts of a Dying Atheist" in this song. New Born because of the riff, which climbs up a dropped-D string with little chromatics added to a pentatonic scale and stopping at the high D and dropping an octave to the open string. The riff is VERY much like the new Born riff, which is good or bad depending on what you make of it. I hear "Thoughs of a Dying Atheist" because just like in that song's chorus we are given a minor chord, which drops to a minor dominant seventh chord, then a major chord which drops to a major seventh chord, giving that falling feeling. Again, the fact that it's reminiscent of other songs is not necessarily good or bad, but to deny the similarities is not an informed position. I wouldn't go so far as to compare it to "Citizen Erased," which I consider a real work of genius, in any way but in form, given that there is a slower interlude.

That being said, this song may be my favorite off of "Resistance." It has a sound that remains very Muse-y, and the guitar solos feel apropos, not just sort of thrown in like, all due respect, "Guiding Light." The guitar's harmonized eighth notes ("Counterbalance this comotion" etc.) is a new thing for them, but one that I like. It maintains a hard rock core, and the lyrics are, while Muse-ily pseudo-political, but not, to be frank, embarrassing (talking about "Uprising" here). A good song, but, as it's been said before, not good enough to break my top 10.

Brilliant post. Nice to so some intelligence round here.:D

is there any way to get that mp3? i actually like that part:D

nevermind.....

Archived