How good do you think that this song will be?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. How good do you think that this song will be?

• Awesome!!!
    • Pretty Good.
    • Average.
    • Horrible.

Exogenesis is a stunning masterpiece. It is Muse's magnum opus. It takes you on an incredible journey through space while inducing great emotions along the way. The most powerful part of the song is definitely part III. The piece is so beautiful and well written that at the last time through the piano solo and strings section, I literally had tears streaming down my face. Never before has music ever penetrated my emotions so deeply. Hats off to Matt, Chris, and Dom for creating such a beauty.

I hate the lyric "you stole my overture."

It does sound a bit weird, using the word "overture" in the lyrics when it's a description of the movement. But I'm thinking that, together with the "aping my soul" line, it could mean that some oppressive outside force has taken away his "overture", or beginning. His past, his memories, even his birth, have been stolen, eradicated, so that he hardly has a soul at all. In 1984, it was said "who controls the past controls the future: who controls the present controls the past". The government that the resistance are fighting against controls everything, and in having control over his past, they dictate his future, and so he is "trapped in God's program". And that's why the end of the world is inevitable.

Cheery stuff! :p

It does sound a bit weird, using the word "overture" in the lyrics when it's a description of the movement. But I'm thinking that, together with the "aping my soul" line, it could mean that some oppressive outside force has taken away his "overture", or beginning. His past, his memories, even his birth, have been stolen, eradicated, so that he hardly has a soul at all. In 1984, it was said "who controls the past controls the future: who controls the present controls the past". The government that the resistance are fighting against controls everything, and in having control over his past, they dictate his future, and so he is "trapped in God's program". And that's why the end of the world is inevitable.

Overture can mean several things ;)

Finally got round to glueing all three parts together. It makes no sense as three individual tracks.

My copy of The Resistance now simply runs:

Uprising

Resistance

Undisclosed Desires

United States Of Eurasia

Guiding Light

Unnatural Selection

MK Ultra

I Belong To You

Exogenesis

Much better.

It's a good interpretation. :happy:

The way I see it Overture (the song) is about the fatality of what is happening to the human race at the beginning of the end.

Aping my soul / you stole my overture: we are told how to feel and what to do, our beginning escapes us we had no say on how it all started.

trapped in God's program / I can't escape: describe the fatality of the situation, we are trapped in the plan a divine power has decided for us (i.e. in this case the end of the world and the human race)

And then it moves on to the philosophical questions that we all ask ourselves (especially when faced with our own mortality): who are we, what are we, etc...

Finally got round to glueing all three parts together. It makes no sense as three individual tracks.

My copy of The Resistance now simply runs:

Uprising

Resistance

Undisclosed Desires

United States Of Eurasia

Guiding Light

Unnatural Selection

MK Ultra

I Belong To You

Exogenesis

Much better.

Agreed. Exogenesis should've been a single track with 3 index points. But if forced, I would say that Cross-Pollination is my favourite part by a small amount. ;)

I cant decide whether I like Pt 1 or Pt 2 the most. On one hand Pt 2 is a massive amalgamut of what is pretty much the Muse trademark and what I love them for. But on the other, Pt 1 is a chills-down-the-spine epic, melancholy, brooding and sad melody. Once the guitar comes in I always visualize a dystopia... It's inspired me so much to my stories and projects.

Archived