How good do you think that this song will be?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. How good do you think that this song will be?

• Awesome!!!
    • Pretty Good.
    • Average.
    • Horrible.

I see what you mean, but for some reason I often prefer the end part to be a bit quieter and more sedate and circumspect after a long musical journey (that really made me sound like a bit of a twat). Citizen Erased is another example - I strongly prefer the last two minutes to the rest of the song.

See, I don't mind quieter bits to end songs but I don't think this one really does it for me, I find the last half of CE a bit boring too, it's why I think the song is overhyped :LOL:

EXACTLY! Which is why I snapped.

Sorry but I've been getting a much harder time for not thinking X Muse song is amazing than what I said up there. Just the way I see it. I'm sick of my comments being torn apart like I'm not allowed to say it if I dare to say anything negative about Muse.

I'm also pretty sick of general comments like "you suck, hate Muse and hate music if you don't like this album!" - so maybe being harsh will get through to people that other opinions are allowed? After all...isn't it a bit harsh that people are calling people stupid for not liking this album?

I didn't see him/her call them stupid :erm:.

Fair enough though. Yeah, it is pretty annoying. Back on topic. :)

Nice!

I would like it if, rather than bringing in an orchestra for live performances, they recreate Exogenesis in some other way, replacing strings with synths maybe, and enhancing the "rockiness" so that the band actually have something to do. :p

Here's the link, sounds like it's gonna be a mad show!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8258534.stm

What is especially great in this song, the whole of it, is the way they can do the transition from a symphony piece to guitars, bass and drums. It's especially visible in II & III, where to song just evolves so naturally. In III, you get that middle section that is so tear-jerking and then back to the quiet piano piece at the beginning. And again, they do it so natural.

To me, this could be a new genre all in all. You have the rock, you have the orchestras and they have been used for countless times in the past. The Who, Deep Purple, Metallica and any of the 70s wacky prog rock bands, but this is the first time I've really listened to a song that doesn't have the rock riffs mixed in with the classical part, but rather they build the song around it and it has a life of its own.

The only thing remotely close to this is Atom Heart Mother suite, by Pink Floyd, but that goes in with the wacky 70s experiments. This is truly a modern masterpiece, whatever the haters have to say. Damn you, haters!

If someone wants to be nice and give me a little summary about Exogenesis.

I'm not gonna read through 66 pages. :rolleyes:

The story?

Overture is realizing the downfall of man

Cross-Pollination is about the only hope of salvation being to spread our kind throughout the universe

Redemption is about starting anew for a price, hoping for a better future which can only be seen as ambiguous.

If we'd take the Sing For Absolution video as canon for the universe portrayed in Exogenesis it'd only be an endless cycle of man.

The story?

Overture is realizing the downfall of man

Cross-Pollination is about the only hope of salvation being to spread our kind throughout the universe

Redemption is about starting anew for a price, hoping for a better future which can only be seen as ambiguous.

If we'd take the Sing For Absolution video as canon for the universe portrayed in Exogenesis it'd only be an endless cycle of man.

Great. Thank you. (:

Hi, after listening to Exogenesis I think I've gotten the real meaning behind the song. After each listen I felt that I discovered something more about the song, some more meaning to it. I've been trying to put it into words for the past couple of days, and I think I know how to put it now, so here it goes!

Exogenesis

In short: Exogenesis Symhpony is about exogenesis (duh!). Now, one might ask what exogenesis is? Well exogenesis (or panspermia) is a theory. A theory about life. After some simple researching on the term exogenesis you can easily find what it is. I'll sum it up in short for you:

Panspermia is a theory which suggests that 'seeds' of life exist all over the universe. Earth being one of them. It suggests that the life on Earth might have originated through one of those seeds.

Now, exogenesis is more or less the same, but more limited, more strict. Exogenesis is an idea that proposes that life on Earth was transferred from somewhere in the universe, whilst not suggesting how wide-spread that life in the universe is.

Now, I believe that Exogenesis Symphony is not exactly about the theory of exogenesis, but about the theory of pansperma. Then why is it called Exogenesis? I think Matt/Muse chose the name Exogenesis just more 'cosmetic' reasons. It sounds way more epic than panspermia. Especially if you announce the piece as a symphonic monster, people expect an epic name. Would you really want to listen to something called Panspermia? To me it sounds like some sort of exotic disease.

Now, I have 2 reasons to believe that Exogenesis Symphony is about panspermia/exogenesis. Those two being the titles (which I've already explained a bit of) and the lyrics of the song.

The Titles

Of course, the most obvious reason to believe that the song is about one of those theories is the title of the song. It already suggests 70% of what it's about. But you also have Overture, Cross-Pollination and Redemption. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but those are really just terms used in classical music I believe. But let me explain

Overture

You can hear as well as, well, read in the title that someone in this part is upset. The music is very dark, very angry. Something is wrong. The world might be dieing perhaps? (I'll explain this in the lyrics section, there isn't much to talk about when thinking of relating it to the theory here)

Cross-Pollination

Now this gets interesting. I do not believe this choice of subtitle was merely coincidence. It might be a classical music term, all the better. But cross-pollination is also used in horticulture (with bees and stuff). Pollination is the process in which a flower is fertilised so that it can produce more flowers. Cross-pollination is when a flower is fertilised by another, different flower. Sounds familiar to the theory? Just as flowers create life on another one here, exogenesis suggests that life on earth was transferred from somewhere else in the universe.

Redemption

Again, like Overture, there isn't much to talk about here when not taking the lyrics and music into account.

Music and lyrics

The music and the lyrics only support my theory about the song, let me explain.

Overture

As I've said, the music here sounds as if there is something wrong. Someone/something is angry. The person singing in this part doesn't know where it belongs ("Where are we, why,...") It doesn't understand what it's doing there. It doesn't recognize the world it once knew. They can't escape. How I view it the creatures world is destroyed. It's become inhabitable (or is vastly becoming that). It doesn't know what to do, why it is there.

Cross-Pollination

Again, this one is the most interesting part in my opinion. Although the music here might not sound as epic or beautiful as in the two other parts, it has the most content. Again, it's still Matt singing, but in the story someone other than in Overture is speaking.

First and foremost: I believe whoever is speaking now is someone of high rank in society. Perhaps a leader, commander, whatever. It's talking as if it's giving orders.

"Wade through toxic clouds" This supports my believe on the planet of the race being nearly destroyed. The air itself there has become corrupted, toxic.

"Breach the outer sphere, the edge of all our fears" Whoever it's talking to, it gives him the order to escape the planet (outer sphere). But, wherever he must go, it is (partly) unknown territory (edge of all our fears).

"We are counting on you, you must rescue us all" We is the race that needs rescuing from the dieing planet. I do not believe they are hoping for the rescue of all the inhabitants. No, they're hoping that their race might continue to exist.

"Spread our codes through the stars" The high ranking officer here is commanding the other one to travel through the universe, obviously to find an inhabitable planet. But he must keep the uses of his culture there.

"Now we know you can't return" As I've said, their not counting on the rescue of the entire race, merely on the survival of the race. If they would have asked him to find a planet where they all could live, he would return, which he won't.

Also, the music in this part sounds strict, and official, which coincides with the high ranking person giving orders.

Redemption

In this part the music sounds peacefully. Whoever was sent to find a new planet, he has succeeded in it. But now they must start over, and do it better (Let's start over again [...] this time we'll get it right).

Conclusion

I think I've made my point here. Although with even the littlest of research you could already determine the statement behind Exogenesis. If you pay more attention to things in the piece you will find more and more to support it. A lot may have already noticed this is what Exogenesis is about, then I still feel happy for deconstructing this song and bringing it to those who didn't yet know!

Posted this yesterday I think.

After listening to Exogenesis again I have to agree with Caff, Part 3 feels a bit too anti-climatic so imo its 2 > 1 > 3. But it's still amazing, all of it.

It probably wouldn't feel the same when listening them in seperate parts.

Don't do it! Ever listened to Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds on shuffle? I imagine it'd be like that...ie rubbish :LOL:

Every time I listen to Exogenesis (Ouverture) it makes me cry. It's the most beautiful, emotional song I have ever heard. I'm not the only one; several people on The Guardian review of The Resistance said the same. So how many others have been moved to tears, or had a damp eye at least!

(Gutted I had to sell my Teignmouth tickes...my son started school on the Friday, and I couldn't get from Portsmouth to Teignmouth in time.)

Thrilled to have been at Wembley!

Archived