Should Chris be given a shot to do lead vocals for an entire song?

ryanbmuff

Should Chris be given a shot to go lead vocals for an entire song?  

587 members have voted

1. 1. Should Chris be given a shot to go lead vocals for an entire song?

• Yes
    • No

I've got to say, I'm not a fan of this idea - as someone else already said, Chris is a harmoniser, not a singer. Although he's def got it in him an he could easily sing lead an have it sound awesome - he doesn't,an there's a reason - because he's already best in the role he's in right now - bassist an backing vocalist for Muse. It would be too different an 'experimental' if they started switching roles.

Plus I'm a firm advocate of the saying 'if it ain't broke, don't fucking fix it!' :D

On the other hand..if he was to go solo for a very very short time or become the lead in a side-project band but then reunite with Muse, that would be cool! He would simply own for beingso damn :cool: at everything lol! <3 Chris!

Chris has an ok voice. He can certainly sing. On the other hand, Bellamy has a down-right amazing voice. In fact, he's easily one of the best vocalists today. Thus, I am forced to conclude that any tracks recorded with Chris on lead vocals will kind of end up like Queen tracks with Brian May on lead vocals... wasted and forgotten.

I for one would like to hear some Chris on a song. If not an album track, then at very a least B-side to a single. He's got a different voice to Matt's, which would lend a bit of variety to proceedings...

I agree with this viewpoint. I think Chris's singing lead in a song could add another dimension to Muse's sound, whether it be a b-side or a main album track (or even his own side project.) I do not like the "duet" idea, however, their voice types (forgive me, I am not knowlegable about precise music terms) would clash...it would sound awkward. But a song tailored to Chris's voice could work quite well in my opinion. An obvious guess, but I think the reason some people here don't agree is that they are trying to imagine Chris's voice superimposed in the generic "Muse sound" that is really more suited to Matt's voice.

I'm not sure tbh, it would be ok for a b-side first to see how effective it is. Chris has a lovely voice, but if they'll let him lead a song then it should be an Assassin-esque song, with Matt pounding on the guitar like mad and Chris shouting shit load of beautiful nonsense whilst headbanging :yesey:

imo this is a great idea. i mean, tsp is proof he has an amazing voice, n i think the only reason we're sayin no is cos hes not as good as matt. well, neither are most of the world's population! like people have said, it doesnt hav to b a main track, but considering the amount muse hav progressed in previous albums, this is surely what they're all about? exploring new ideas?

Plus, i can thik of many bands that have tried this - queen did it all the time, dave grohl in nirvana as mentioned above, greenday, even system of a down had a song on their last album where daron sang + his voice is nowhere near as good as serj's

id be up for it. loads of other bands do it, im not sure where this "lack of artistic integrity" thing comes from.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=H67gWgDK0WQ

go from 1:45 onwards, massive dual-vocalistage, but people still cite James LaBrie as the lead vocals, and associate LaBrie's voice with the band. it's just an artistic choice which allows you to use multiple timbres. its broadening your styles and experimenting, trying something new. i can't see how anyone could see it as a bad thing. i LOVE hearing people doing different stuff with music, so im all for a Chris song.

also, if they'd given Chris Wolstenholme the "glaciers melting" bits in Supermassive Black Hole (which they might have, im still not convinced that's Matt), would you people be cool with that?

id be up for it. loads of other bands do it, im not sure where this "lack of artistic integrity" thing comes from.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=H67gWgDK0WQ

go from 1:45 onwards, massive dual-vocalistage, but people still cite James LaBrie as the lead vocals, and associate LaBrie's voice with the band. it's just an artistic choice which allows you to use multiple timbres. its broadening your styles and experimenting, trying something new. i can't see how anyone could see it as a bad thing. i LOVE hearing people doing different stuff with music, so im all for a Chris song.

also, if they'd given Chris Wolstenholme the "glaciers melting" bits in Supermassive Black Hole (which they might have, im still not convinced that's Matt), would you people be cool with that?

...almost positive that's chris.

Pretty much 99.99994% sure actually, just checked haarp dvd.

Unless he only does it live...

...almost positive that's chris.

Pretty much 99.99994% sure actually, just checked haarp dvd.

Unless he only does it live...

well he uses the vocoder live, so i can't compare his live voice with his studio voice. :p

it'd be cool if it is Chris. it doesn't sound that much like Matt but it's pretty heavily layered.

Archived