Should Chris be given a shot to do lead vocals for an entire song?

ryanbmuff

Should Chris be given a shot to go lead vocals for an entire song?  

587 members have voted

1. 1. Should Chris be given a shot to go lead vocals for an entire song?

• Yes
    • No

Harmonies. Sorry for being pedantic but harmonics and harmonies are completely different things.

Hehe, sorry. I'm not very knowledgable when it comes to musical terms.. not even in my native language. Double trouble! :)

i thought chris's voice was quite weak in that performance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLve_nxRux4

Besides this now being one of my favorite videos EVER...you're right

Chris is kind of soft..meh

I really feel like chris' voice isn't 'right' for lead vocals. IDK some people seem pretty adamant about it, so how about we get more video proof like this to back up our statements?

I don't think Chris should sing, if Chris was to do lead vocals for a song, then maybe he should start a project of his own. Matt is the lead vocalist, and should remain that. It wouldn't sound like Muse otherwise.

I do think Chris has a good voice though, don't get me wrong. And also, having Matt and Chris sing different parts of songs, wouldn't go down well what so ever, It'd be some lame duet thing.

This is just my personal opinion though, so please don't shoot me if you disagree. :LOL:

I don't think Chris should either, if Chris was sing lead vocals, then maybe he should start a project of his own. Matt is the lead vocalist, and should remain that. It wouldn't sound like Muse if Chris was to sing.

I do think Chris has a good voice though, don't get me wrong. And also, having Matt and Chris sing different parts of songs, wouldn't go down well what so ever.

This is just my personal opinion though, so please don't shoot me if you disagree. :LOL:

I agree, completely.

Chris and Dom should have there own project.

DnB, ive said it before.

I don't know about side projects though, they probably don't want to do any side projects. And working on seperate things would only be less time being dedicated for Muse. And I don't want that happening, surely more time spent rehearsing and stuff for Muse is more important than a DnB side project.

I don't know about side projects though, they probably don't want to do any side projects. And working on seperate things would only be less time being dedicated for Muse. And I don't want that happening, surely more time spent rehearsing and stuff for Muse is more important than a DnB side project.

QFT

I think people are taking this a little out of proportion though. The original idea is that Chris either get a song to himself, or at least have a few instances where he alternates vocals with Matt in a song. It's not like Chris is hijacking the entire album or anything, it's merely an opportunity for him to share some limelight for once. He may blow it, he may not, but it won't completely wreck the entire next album if it's simply one song.

It'd be an opportunity for Chris to steal the show, even if for only one song.

I'm sure he could pull it off. He prove that he can steal the show when they performed The Small Print in Rock Am Ring, 2004. He was close to steal the show there.

I'd want this to happen.

I think Chris is great with backing vocals, I mean come on, Assassin? Soldier's Poem? TSP? He's good...but I just can't see him doing lead vocals. And plus Matt's voice is a signature sound to every Muse song. It just won't be the same.

Sure, it is just ONE song, but that one song can make a uge difference, both positively and negatively. But that's just my opinion :)

I for one would like to hear some Chris on a song. If not an album track, then at very a least B-side to a single. He's got a different voice to Matt's, which would lend a bit of variety to proceedings - not that Bellamy isn't amazing, but he doesn't really vary his vocal tone much. He's either doing the quiet whispery thing or the histrionic wail and I haven't ever heard him do anything different.

Also, the fact that Chris' voice sounds weak in the video may be for the fact that his mic volume is quieter than Matt's, for the precise reason that he doesn't want to 'steal the show'. Just a thought.

It's funny how so many people think that one song with Chris on lead vocals would somehow influence the image of everything they have done. For fans of such a progressive band you guys are quite conservative.

Best damn thing to be said in this thread, minus the topic suggestion itself. Muse have successfully branched out to many different styles in the past, this particular expansion should be no different.

I finally got curious enough to overcome my laziness and found that am rock ring performance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxtZ3dD5Udk

I thought it was interesting.

I wouldn't go as far to say that Chris should get lead vocals but what I would like to see is a stronger presence of the backing vocals like in that video. Sometimes Chris is muted so soft that lots of people never actually...hear him.

My friend was pretty shocked when he found out Chris did back up vocals..I think his statement was "what fucking back up vocals?!"

:LOL:

Oh and side projects scare me shittless

I'd be absolutely terrified of Muse breaking up, and i think its a fair assumption to say that many a side-project have killed bands or at least severely retarded their growth.

If Muse broke up...

I mean seriously anyone in a five mile radius of me would be inclined to shoot me in the head to put me out of my misery.

Fuck it, he obviously has a good enough voice, so why not let him sing for one song? Still with Matt on the keyboard/guitar etc, but have a chris driven song. :D

MAKE IT HAPPEN

I support this idea! Please let Chris sing at least one whole song, please.

That would be a new experiment for Muse. Let Chris sing. He has an amazing voice, he could pull it off.

I've never heard Chris sing, youtube link?

Oh and side projects scare me shittless

I'd be absolutely terrified of Muse breaking up, and i think its a fair assumption to say that many a side-project have killed bands or at least severely retarded their growth.

If Muse broke up...

I mean seriously anyone in a five mile radius of me would be inclined to shoot me in the head to put me out of my misery.

+1

Another reason I dont' think Chris taking a lead is good idea, what if they start getting ideas themselves :(

*shudders to think of the possibilities*

I'd love to hear Chris take a lead on a song. As people have already mentioned, it would be better as a B-side, not part of an album, which may run a risk of breaking up the continuity in the album. Taking an alternate lead with Matt with an echoy effect would fit better in the album. After all, Matt is the voice of Muse.

I'm not too sure, perhaps a B-side or something, but I think Muse should be Matt really, Chris is great back up singer and harmoniser though, as shown in live with TSP, or if anyone has had the chance to listen to Boredom from their early stuff, in that song its his harmony that makes the song i reckon. It's not out the question, I heard the drummer, I think I'm right in saying, in Coldplay will perform a song he wrote in live performances. However caution, Genesis did a similar thing and then became the horror that is Phil Collins.

It would be interesting to try, maybe a B-Side or another song like TSP live as others have mentioned. I reckon Chris would be too shy to carry a whole song. Matt would also have a chance to take a break and muck around with the guitar/piano more than he usually does. Muse are always open to trying ideas, so why not?

imo, this is Chris at his best:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiTCGPvtbQ0&feature=related

Archived