Should Chris be given a shot to do lead vocals for an entire song?

ryanbmuff

Should Chris be given a shot to go lead vocals for an entire song?  

587 members have voted

1. 1. Should Chris be given a shot to go lead vocals for an entire song?

• Yes
    • No

It just wouldn't be Muse if Chris was lead singer, even for just one song.. they each have their roles, they do them very well. Matt is lead - singer, songwriter, guitarist.. it's always been that way so it would just be weird to see that change. Muse change their musical direction an style a lot, which is part of what makesthem so great, but that's separate to actually changing their roles within the band for a bit. Not saying that Chris wouldn't do a good job of it, a part of me is actually intrigued to see what that might sound like but I'm just not a fan of the idea..can't make it stick in my head lol.

It just wouldn't be Muse if Chris was lead singer, even for just one song.. .

Err yes it would, they're still Muse.

There's so much more to music than just how the singer sings. If I played a Muse instrumental to you that you'd never heard before, you'd probably recognise it.

Guest Octazooka
Yeah I would agree with that. Chris has a decent 'backing vocals' voice but I wouldn't really know whether or not he has 'lead vocals' skills.

hmm well you wouldn't want to hear dom sing at least, right? :LOL:

Err yes it would, they're still Muse.

There's so much more to music than just how the singer sings. If I played a Muse instrumental to you that you'd never heard before, you'd probably recognise it.

It's not just about the singing, but that's part of the whole package for me. Muse overall, and how I recognise their style, is based on what each member brings to the table - Matt brings his personal vocal style as well as a unique style of playing guitar/piano etc. Same for Chris's bass, Dom's drumming. If they were to swap, it wouldn't be the Muse I've come to love. I'm just not a fan of that level of change.. Change in musical direction, yes..switching roles, no thanks.

They should just let Dom sing a few tracks. tone deaf is in these days

Well they could just auto-tune it. Lots of people do this live. Seriously though, I wouldn't say no to an entire album where Chris was the lead singer. It would be really interesting and stuff and you'd get a totally new sound from them. I think this is very cool.

I don't know, I just can't see it. I mean chris does have a nice voice and all but I can't see it as a lead singers voice.

I'm not objecting to a song where chris is the lead Matt is doind Backing vocals I just don't know if I would enjoy it as much as I enjoy Matt's voice. I think an entire album is too much though, one or two songs yeah but not an album.

Does that make sense?

A lot of bands have a back-up lead vocalist (couldn't put it a better way sorry!) so maybe it'd be nice as a little experiment but it's all down to how comfortable Chris would be with doing it.

Mmmmm, Niiiiiiiiick. :D

If it happens, I say try a B-side first. Chris' voice is wonderful but I think it can be stronger.

No. Meg's track on 'Get Behind Me Satan' is proof such things shouldn't be done.

that, plus the guitarist from system of a down butchering an entire album with his vocals

that's not to say chris is a bad vocalist. far from it. it's just... really, stick with matt.

• 1 month later...

I actually liked it when Darren Malakian sang more on Hynotize/Mezmerize

I could see a b-side kind of like Nirvana did with Dave Grohl's "Marigold" but I have to agree with a bunch of people that Chris would be too shy to do it...plus would he preferably sing Matt's material or his own?

Absolutely! I'd love to hear at least one song that's sung by Chris. And if it doesn't work out? Back to backing.

Agreed. And for all the people who say "it just wouldn't be MUSE!" or "It just wouldn't sound like MUSE!" I beg to differ. There are some Muse songs that are such polar opposites of some of their other songs that I don't think it's justified to say that if Chris had the shot at lead vocals for a song it wouldn't sound like Muse anymore. I think it would bring an entire different side of Muse out. And yeah, if it just doesn't work for whatever reason, then going back to the backing vocals would be just fine.

Agreed. And for all the people who say "it just wouldn't be MUSE!" or "It just wouldn't sound like MUSE!" I beg to differ. There are some Muse songs that are such polar opposites of some of their other songs that I don't think it's justified to say that if Chris had the shot at lead vocals for a song it wouldn't sound like Muse anymore. I think it would bring an entire different side of Muse out. And yeah, if it just doesn't work for whatever reason, then going back to the backing vocals would be just fine.

I've actually noticed at times when Chris did do some vocals during a song (when Matt would noodle around or so) that Chris was good. He does have good tone from what I hear, he should just step up to the mic and preach the word, y'know? :p

Archived