Pressure (single)

iLikeCorvettes

I mean, any song would fundamentally change if written by a different band, so it's hard for me to even conceptualize that question. Meaning, I like Muse songs because I like Matt's voice, the way all 3 play their instruments, the way they tend to produce their tracks, etc. It's the same with any song from any of my favorite bands, I doubt I would like the songs as much if they were done by someone else.

I'm having a hard time describing exactly what I mean but hopefully that makes some sense.

I can acknowledge that but they have been known for having something of an identity crisis in recent albums. You can always tell when something is unmistakably Muse but also when it's unmistakably U2, Queen, etc.

I have varying opinions on the new songs but it does feel like they've managed to retain their core self at the base of it all, and I like that. They did it on Drones too but it was at the expense of really branching out.

I do find myself wondering if I'd like or listen to this song if it wasn't Muse. And if I'm giving these last two too much leeway because of my history with the band, and only comparing them favorably to the first songs release from this album...

Funny, in my case I'd say it's the opposite. I feel like I wouldn't be that judgemental if it was another band.

Listening to the instrumental and really liking it like that.

When I listened to it the first time my headphones were not completely plugged in and I could only hear the instrumental and the backing vocals, and I think the chorus sounded amazing and more powerful than it really is.

When I listened to it the first time my headphones were not completely plugged in and I could only hear the instrumental and the backing vocals, and I think the chorus sounded amazing and more powerful than it really is.

so i'm not the only one who has the thing where you can plug in your headphones in a certain way to only hear certain bits of the song

Well, if I were in his shoes and read your comments I'd be pretty pissed off to be honest. :D

Touché :LOL:.

I think he has reasons to feel that way, and if he wanted to express himself like that, I can't complain.

I find it interesting though, I've always thought he didn't give two fucks about fandom opinions, but it seems he actually does.

Touché :LOL:.

I think he has reasons to feel that way, and if he wanted to express himself like that, I can't complain.

I find it interesting though, I've always thought he didn't give two fucks about fandom opinions, but it seems he actually does.

Considering the funny, ironic mood of the music, I'd even say he put it into words quite lightly.

I don't like the backing vocals in the chorus, or really anything about the vocals in the chorus at all. But the verses have a great groove and the mindless headbang-y section is lots of fun. Overall good stuff.

Having said that, I'm actually less, not more, optimistic about the album now if this is one of the heavier, more aggressive songs, and it's still quite dance-y and tongue-in-cheek. I know this is pure conjecture but I don't have a good feeling about Propaganda based on the fact Timbaland is involved, and stuff like Break it to Me and Get Up and Fight have such bad titles that I can't imagine the songs themselves aren't going to be cheesy as hell.

Also, St Vincent's and Radiohead's most recent stuff has been wayyy more interesting and well-executed than anything off Simulation Theory so far, but they'll come off positively in comparison to most stuff anyway imo. Doesn't mean Pressure and The Dark Side aren't enjoyable

EDIT: misspelled Timbaland :/

Every song so far has been so straightforward. If the rest of the album is like this it really won't have replay value. I love The Dark Side but I can tell it won't have the staying power of something like Dead Inside. And Pressure has the makings of a song that could be really good, but it doesn't go anywhere and it's just not very interesting at all the way it is now. Even the "bridge" is literally just the same riffs again. But I guess they're hoping this is their hit song from the album considering they even advertised it during Thursday Night Football last night (the marching band version). Doesn't seem like a hit to me though.

Every song so far has been so straightforward. If the rest of the album is like this it really won't have replay value. I love The Dark Side but I can tell it won't have the staying power of something like Dead Inside. And Pressure has the makings of a song that could be really good, but it doesn't go anywhere and it's just not very interesting at all the way it is now. Even the "bridge" is literally just the same riffs again. But I guess they're hoping this is their hit song from the album considering they even advertised it during Thursday Night Football last night (the marching band version). Doesn't seem like a hit to me though.

I agree partially. I think Pressure is the worst offender so far for "could have had a sick outro but just went into another bog standard chorus"

Not digging St Vincent's new album. The previous ones were good. But going back to Radiohead, I put on "In Rainbows" yesterday and it struck me that they're operating on a level 10000x higher than Muse.

Yes but even Radiohead are capable of making complete wankery like TKOL

But yeah back to Muse...

Well, maybe best not to in actual fact.

I find it unpleasant. But I can't stand football or American sports broadcasting, so that may have a lot to do with it.

My exact thought process :chuckle: I was hoping it’d be the same song but just with the full marching band added into the mix, as opposed to that taking over the guitar/bass, but oh well. Have to wait ‘til the final version to hear the whole thing.