Pressure (single)

iLikeCorvettes

I haven’t heard Pressure yet, but for once, I think LiT has a point. TC is possibly the laziest Muse song since Exo-Politics, and TDS, SH and DD push absolutely no boundaries at all. I find them all, to a greater or less extent, contrived in the extreme. All four songs I’ve heard so far feel ‘lite’ for Muse, especialy when you compare them to Dead Inside, Reapers and The Handler (the pre-Drones tracks).

My favorite thing is when people claim an artist is lazy or wasn't trying just because they released something they didn't like.

I'm not sure it's just because they don't like it. I myself wouldn't call these songs lazy per se, since the sound and layers are well-crafted and not sloppily put together.

However, the song structures are quite repetitive, and in a lot of their newer songs the choruses seem to be just short repeated words or sentences, usually the song title. I don't know if that's lazy or just keeping with the general trend in popular music, but it's hardly industrious and definitely not pushing any boundaries or bringing something new to the table.

It’s also obvs worth repeating complexity =/= quality.

Dead Inside blends complexity with quality superbly. Plug In Baby, by comparison, blends simplicity with familiarity superbly. Both though are fantastically ‘Musey’ songs.

TC, in particulat for me, is contrived, repetitive, clichéd and distinctly un-Musey. It has few redeeming features.

I just think Muse (and probably most artists) tend to put their all into their art. Whether the ideas or execution are there is a different story for sure. For this cycle I will say Dig Down felt the most like a retread of previous, better songs. TC grew on me after initially being somewhat "meh," and I love TDS and Pressure.

Is this gonna be Muse's 'After Laughter'?

YES

and I’ve been praying for it ever since the first promo pics

I wish.

If only Muse could do poppy and fun without also being corny, out-of-date and ridiculous.

DON’T WRITE IT OFF YET

For this cycle I will say Dig Down felt the most like a retread of previous, better songs. TC grew on me after initially being somewhat "meh," and I love TDS and Pressure.

Honestly big same. I kinda slated TC at first for sounding really uninspired but, over time, I’ve come to appreciate the wee trap beat incorporations and the piano pre-chorus. Riff’s always been fairly addictive and I’m a sucker for any kinda whammy solo.

What boundaries did Drones push?

I don't know if any boundaries were pushed on Drones that they hadn't pushed themselves before, but there was definitely a variety in song-structure between the songs, and it didn't all sound like something contemporary you might have heard on the radio in the last 10 years.

Anyway, I'm not arguing that Muse's current songwriting is lazy, I'm just explaining why I understand that some might say that. I think their current output actually requires quite some effort on their part, as they are experimenting with sounds they themselves haven't used before and, at times, they're really getting it right as well. I guess in their case that causes a bit of a trade-off when it comes to song structure.

Before opening a new thread I post it here: interview with Matt and Dom with Rockantenne Hamburg, audio

https://rockantenne.hamburg/programm/podcasts/whole-lotta-talk/episode-10-muse

Matt gives away when and where the tour starts!!!

March, April : start in the US

Around summer: Europe

Then South America, maybe Asia

Edited by Claudia O.