Pressure (single)

iLikeCorvettes

I do find myself wondering if I'd like or listen to this song if it wasn't Muse. And if I'm giving these last two too much leeway because of my history with the band, and only comparing them favorably to the first songs release from this album...

I'm probably too critical of the new songs because it's Muse. On the other hand, I probably wouldn't be listening to most of them at all if it wasn't Muse. It's like I'm being too unforgiving and too forgiving at the same time.

I can see the comparisons of Pressure to both Blue Orchid & Over and Over and Over. Sadly, it pales in comparison to both songs. (Admittedly, I'm partial to Jack White and Blue Orchid might be my favourite WS song.) The riffing is catchy and I do like the sporadic instrumental breaks. It's might be Chris' best bass line in a while. That chorus though...:eek: Still a halfway decent song overall, I guess.

On the bright side, Something Human may be growing on me a little. My stomach doesn't feel queasy when I hear it anymore, at least.

I like it. It's not Panic Station, it's a bit stiff, it's a bit undercooked maybe, and the chorus is a bit out of place, but I still like it. The vibe fits with the album, after one listen different hooks were catching in my head, it seems to realize how corny it is, the horns are a legitimately nice touch, Chris rocks, that's a very likable guitar tone, the video is hilarious...

This is a decent Muse song. I bet it's killer live, and maybe even the marching band version will add some oomph (I don't want to listen to leaks).

I LOVE IT. I wasn't sure about the chorus at first, and I agree it would be nice if there was an additional gear to the song. But after 10 + listens it's coming together as a fun banger. This is the Muse I'm happy to get these day: catchy as hell, no contrived attempts at meaningful substance, no obviously in-your-face borrowings from other artists.

I'm actually looking forward to the album.

Pressure->TC->TDS->SH->DD.

I Also, St Vincent's and Radiohead's most recent stuff has been wayyy more interesting and well-executed than anything off Simulation Theory so far, but they'll come off positively in comparison to most stuff anyway imo. Doesn't mean Pressure and The Dark Side aren't enjoyable

Not digging St Vincent's new album. The previous ones were good. But going back to Radiohead, I put on "In Rainbows" yesterday and it struck me that they're operating on a level 10000x higher than Muse.

I honestly don't get comments like this. Considering the five songs we've gotten, do people really think Muse is aiming for any type of complex, groundbreaking, cricically acclaimed music? The videos are 80's pastiches and lots of the music very referential. It's fun, instant pleasure, alternative radio party rock. Listening to Pressure and saying "yeah but Radiohead's new material is much more refined" is about as useful as discussing the merits of J.K Rowling to Hemingway as a writer.

after some repeated listens, i'm starting to think i'm quite on board with this track.

i'm at the point where i don't give a shit what muse does anymore -- the work product is either great, mediocre, or simply laughable, and i'm totally fine with all of it. i think that's why i'm still partially active in this forum.

Edited by frutiger75

It's the most immediate single we've gotten and easily the most excited a single has made me in quite a few years. With that said, the more immediate songs are often the ones that I grow most tired of, which is no one's fault but my own since I was the one who overplayed it for myself. I think TDS will be my ultimate favorite in the long run. BTW, I'm pleasantly surprised by how many people liked SH.

It's the most immediate single we've gotten and easily the most excited a single has made me in quite a few years. With that said, the more immediate songs are often the ones that I grow most tired of, which is no one's fault but my own since I was the one who overplayed it for myself. I think TDS will be my ultimate favorite in the long run. BTW, I'm pleasantly surprised by how many people liked SH.

Something Human feels like the most heartfelt writing and performance we've gotten from these singles so far. I'm also surprised it went over so well for being a pop track, but not as surprised since it is so catchy and warm, and doesn't feel underwritten like DD and TC. I'm also big on TDS and Pressure is a decent Muse song as well, so I'm starting to hope we've left the worst behind us, though I probably shouldn't with some of these song titles...

Tru tho.

What the heck is Fantano's taste in Muse and why is it so middle of the road?

He's admitted in the past that he likes Muse when they embrace their Queen-inspired arena anthem aesthetic and go over-the-top. He has a soft spot for The Resistance, and has cited Defector as one of his favorite tracks on Drones.

It's not all too surprising that he likes Pressure. It's a funky, fun jam where it feels like the band has no inhibition of playing it safe, and sees all the band members provide some good grooves that embrace the cheese in a wholesome way, rather than an edgy way like much of Drones was. Compare that to something like Dig Down which just feels like it was written off of a "Muse cheat sheet", or a lot of Drones which was very spotty with it's uninspired writing, iffy production and pretty generic tracks (with the exception of stuff like The Handler).

I'm actually kind of sad that Dig Down is on the album. It's an extremely mediocre track that feels like it was written separately from everything else they've shown so far. I think Thought Contagion is growing on me somewhat at least.

He's admitted in the past that he likes Muse when they embrace their Queen-inspired arena anthem aesthetic and go over-the-top. He has a soft spot for The Resistance, and has cited Defector as one of his favorite tracks on Drones.

It's not all too surprising that he likes Pressure. It's a funky, fun jam where it feels like the band has no inhibition of playing it safe, and sees all the band members provide some good grooves that embrace the cheese in a wholesome way, rather than an edgy way like much of Drones was. Compare that to something like Dig Down which just feels like it was written off of a "Muse cheat sheet", or a lot of Drones which was very spotty with it's uninspired writing, iffy production and pretty generic tracks (with the exception of stuff like The Handler).

I'm actually kind of sad that Dig Down is on the album. It's an extremely mediocre track that feels like it was written separately from everything else they've shown so far. I think Thought Contagion is growing on me somewhat at least.

DD shouldn't be on the album. I sometimes fantasize about a better, revamped version being surprise released as the official album cut to make up for the lackluster single, but that won't happen.

I didn't know Fantano liked TR! I love TR! It's my favorite! I also agree Muse do camp extraordinarily well, and I wear my Queen fandom on my sleeve as well. Pity he doesn't like their less camp stuff as much as I do.