Pressure (single)

iLikeCorvettes

Well, he said it's going to have a "classic Muse" sound, so I'm bound to believe it won't be really similar to what they've released so far for LP8, apart maybe TC, but you never know with them...

That said, another personal song, huh? I like that Matt seems more inclined to write songs about what he actually feels, instead of political paranoia and alien conspiracies. :)

Matt says the song "Pressure" will answer "in multiple ways" about the pressure he feels to make new rock songs.

I have so many conflicting responses to this.

1) That tells me the end result musically indicates Matt's feelings towards his fanbase. "Classic Muse sound" loosely means "I'm doing it for you guys." If it ends up being pop, then the message is more like "fuck you I'll do what I want."

2) Dream Theater have already written the "Muse complaining about their fanbase" song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X_WV_5Wynw

3) Some of the "pressure" is probably Chris and Dom taking his simple songs and throwing everything at them. We now have a song about in-band fighting.

4) It's really adorable how Matt has started wearing his heart on his sleeve. :happy:

That said, another personal song, huh? I like that Matt seems more inclined to write songs about what he actually feels, instead of political paranoia and alien conspiracies. :)

To be fair, hasn't Matt always written quite emotional songs but covered them with conceptual faff? Drones for example, seems to me like trying to come to terms with a rather controlling relationship, which is the only reason I connected to songs like Dead Inside and The Handler :) Map of the Problematique as well, with singing about Gaia but referring to what might become (and then became) an economic crisis and how to handle the aftermath. But maybe I'm just reading way too much into it :nerd:

Are we looking along the lines of a new Prog Rock song then? Or not that far?

I choked while typing this post by the way - Felt like someone had to know.

Iirc Matt specifically said in an interview a few months ago that there were no 5/6+ minute songs and no prog.

Iirc Matt specifically said in an interview a few months ago that there were no 5/6+ minute songs and no prog.
Yeah or at least that their focus was on 3-4 minutes tracks. Might be one or two exceptions.

Yeah or at least that their focus was on 3-4 minutes tracks. Might be one or two exceptions.

True but, yeah, basically it defo wouldn’t be my first thought. If anything, it wouldn’t surprise me if Matt thinks ‘classic Muse’ is something like Mercy tbh.

I have so many conflicting responses to this.

1) That tells me the end result musically indicates Matt's feelings towards his fanbase. "Classic Muse sound" loosely means "I'm doing it for you guys." If it ends up being pop, then the message is more like "fuck you I'll do what I want."

2) Dream Theater have already written the "Muse complaining about their fanbase" song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X_WV_5Wynw

3) Some of the "pressure" is probably Chris and Dom taking his simple songs and throwing everything at them. We now have a song about in-band fighting.

4) It's really adorable how Matt has started wearing his heart on his sleeve. :happy:

lol @ how that song is more muse than muse

lol @ how that song is more muse than muse

Mike Portnoy, who was still with DT at the time, mentioned he was really into Absolution at that time. It's HEAVILY influenced by Stockholm Syndrome, like borderline plagiarism :LOL:.

Every Muse fan should listen to the album it’s on, Octavarium. Not only is it (imo) DT’s best album, it is so Musey. Never Enough and These Walls have the riffs, crazy synths and arpeggios and big choruses, Root Of All Evil and Panic Attack are dark, heavy, riffy Muse, Sacrified Sons is a big political epic with 2nd Law-esque samples, Answer Lies Within is a big cheesy piano ballad, and Octavarium is Exogenesis meets CE meets Globalist sorta thing.

It’s just a really Musey album not just in sound, but feel. Reminds me of New Born, Dead Star, Stockholm Syndrome, Hysteria, B&H, Take A Bow, Assassin, City Of Delusion, MK Ultra, Exogenesis, Unsustainable/Isolated System, Reapers, Handler, Globalist, etc

Edited by Clunge

Every Muse fan should listen to the album it’s on, Octavarium. Not only is it (imo) DT’s best album, it is so Musey. Never Enough and These Walls have the riffs, crazy synths and arpeggios and big choruses, Root Of All Evil and Panic Attack are dark, heavy, riffy Muse, Sacrified Sons is a big political epic with 2nd Law-esque samples, Answer Lies Within is a big cheesy piano ballad, and Octavarium is Exogenesis meets CE meets Globalist sorta thing.

It’s just a really Musey album not just in sound, but feel. Reminds me of New Born, Dead Star, Stockholm Syndrome, Hysteria, B&H, Take A Bow, Assassin, City Of Delusion, MK Ultra, Exogenesis, Unsustainable/Isolated System, Reapers, Handler, Globalist, etc

I love DT, but I don't think they manage to get the spirit of Muse's work right, just the aesthetics. At the end of the day these are all still very clearly DT songs, albeit some very great ones in there.

I think that’s missing the point a little. DT aren’t obvs trying to ape or rip Muse off, it’s just a clear and acknowledged influence. I doubt they would have set out with the intent of embodying Muse’s sound. But the influences they did take I do feel are reflected best in the Muse songs I listed.

I think that’s missing the point a little. DT aren’t obvs trying to ape or rip Muse off, it’s just a clear and acknowledged influence. I doubt they would have set out with the intent of embodying Muse’s sound. But the influences they did take I do feel are reflected best in the Muse songs I listed.

Oh, I misinterpreted what you were getting at. Yeah, there's a definite Muse influence, and on Panic Attack and Never Enough it's very fitting. Although personally I'd liken Octavarium itself more to a combo of Pink Floyd, Genesis, Queen, the usual 70s prog related suspects.

It's a great album at any rate. Though I prefer Awake.

Mike Portnoy, who was still with DT at the time, mentioned he was really into Absolution at that time. It's HEAVILY influenced by Stockholm Syndrome, like borderline plagiarism :LOL:.

WITHOUT a doubt hahaha. I love it!

it is great :D I always tell people who bitch about Muse not being Muse anymore to go on to them and Devin Townsend and bask in the glory of the big rock.

:eek: There are OTHER BANDS?

I mean, I love accessible Muse and I love them for what they are today. Last year I ~*~finally realised*~*~ I liked Madness :LOL: But every new song I do still wonder why he always go for the predictable chords. Like, just one *woah* chord is all I need hahaha. They used to be The Band for that. That's all I ask :LOL:

OH my Dog I can't remember how to do smileys here

Edited by Gemsy