And this. Put one or two fucking good songs in each set instead of crying that they "fall flat."

Bliss was crossed off the set, literally, in the US ffs.

To be fair, Muse aren't really in on what groups of fans think of songs. They might feel like "okay Bliss doesn't feel good today. But PIB is a fan favourite (from the favourite album of the hardcore fans), so that can work instead". Now of course there are instances when songs are just dropped and not replaced, but generally I do think that Muse care about what the hardcore fans want, it's just that they think that playing PIB, Stockholm Syndrome and some other heavy song should be enough. But then it becomes an issue of when they are played and how they are spread out, which is a fair point but not really reasonable to demand. Especially not since everyone is different. Personally I prefer a heavy start followed by a breather and then some singalong pop songs.

But yeah, the US simply got fucked because Matt was afraid of playing anything that wasn't a single.

I will say this though: If Muse keep this up, I hope that they will be happy when they end up being forced to play hits only because they alienate the people who like other sides of Muse than just the pop. They are making a conscious decision, and that decision is to earn more money by being as easy on the ears as possible.

I'm not arguing that this place isn't a circlejerk but it's a circlejerk of people who have a passionate and mutual interest about the band.

Better to listen to us than this cesspool

Fuck me sideways what a bunch of fucking morons.

"what ungrateful idiots, muse went out of there way to make a great set. they cant play rarities at bug shows because then the newer fans will be upset because of missing madness! these "fans" don't deserve this amazing set"

"they didnt get this hate after zepp!"

"You aren't entitled to anything."

I'm honestly struggling to breathe from laughing at you calling them a cesspool btw :LOL:

To be fair, Muse aren't really in on what groups of fans think of songs. They might feel like "okay Bliss doesn't feel good today. But PIB is a fan favourite (from the favourite album of the hardcore fans), so that can work instead". Now of course there are instances when songs are just dropped and not replaced, but generally I do think that Muse care about what the hardcore fans want, it's just that they think that playing PIB, Stockholm Syndrome and some other heavy song should be enough. But then it becomes an issue of when they are played and how they are spread out, which is a fair point but not really reasonable to demand. Especially not since everyone is different. Personally I prefer a heavy start followed by a breather and then some singalong pop songs.

But yeah, the US simply got fucked because Matt was afraid of playing anything that wasn't a single.

If it's true they don't know what songs are fan favs, how would a set like tonight happen?

Just shit the band likes playing?

I think they know. They get the requests.

And Bliss/CE wasn't replaced. Eventually a slot was dropped, PiB was rare and SS non-existant. I think that's too far.

And maybe being overly sensitive about how they perceive songs are going over is what's leading to the bored, low energy performances?

That's not fair to the crowd, either.

I think if they did something daring, like release Reapers or The Handler in Canada/US, they would pull in more fans, from a wider musical taste. They might get a better response from the older, heavier songs then.

I'm hoping Psycho sends a message because it gets a great reception everywhere and unless you were within that first wave of listeners, the release order doesn't matter.

I can see what people are saying but, thankfully, I don't think Matt seems discouraged at all. His last tweet reiterated that he likes the idea of doing a rarity tour with voted setlists but just needs to work out how to do it. Normally, I wouldn't put much stock in it but he said it a few times and seems to have really taken in what people have said.

Hopefully this whole thing results in this finally happening. The logistics really shouldn't be hard to work out, it'd just be a shame if it was restricted to one country again.

no way in (balmy) hell will anything like that happen on this side of the pond.

and if it ever does, see u in either LA or NYC...only.

I think if they did something daring, like release Reapers or The Handler in Canada/US, they would pull in more fans, from a wider musical taste. They might get a better response from the older, heavier songs then.

I always felt that some pop Muse songs are good but at the same time there is a lot of bands making better pop songs than them. On the other hand, there is no one else doing a heavy Muse kind of music so yeah they'd better promotion their rock side.

I don't think they would be as popular as the pop songs. But they would attract the different crowd. From what I can tell it would be the crowd they like.

The best thing they can do now honestly is do the big venue/small venue tour that they've been talking about for the better half of the decade. Assuming they wouldn't play the same material at both, that addresses a lot of the negative feedback they get right there.

It would solve everything, assuming casuals only go for the big show tickets. Presumably they would need to say they'd play the hits and the big gig and to leave the club for the fans.

I don't think they would be as popular as the pop songs. But they would attract the different crowd. From what I can tell it would be the crowd they like.

10 US cities started playing Reapers without it being a single, and without a push from the label or anything.

It rose to the #2 song on the rock charts, and stayed there long enough to either tie, or beat, Uprising for their longest charting rock song.

Of course, the #1 band at the time (Disturbed) cannot command arena level crowds, and is coheadlining what appear to be 3-4k venues with another #1 rock band (Breaking Benjamin.)

It's not a popular genre here anymore, and it's losing ground world wide.

But, if that's truly the crowd that makes them happy... They'll never do it. They like the money too much.

Then again... releasing Reapers AND Dead Inside pre-tour would have brought in different types of fans...? No? Increase promotional penetration, and be able to play your rock songs to a larger % of the crowd.

This band's promotion has sucked immensely since TR, like they're trying to ride that fame with no effort.

It has failed.

10 US cities started playing Reapers without it being a single, and without a push from the label or anything.

It rose to the #2 song on the rock charts, and stayed there long enough to either tie, or beat, Uprising for their longest charting rock song.

Of course, the #1 band at the time (Disturbed) cannot command arena level crowds, and is coheadlining what appear to be 3-4k venues with another #1 rock band (Breaking Benjamin.)

It's not a popular genre here anymore, and it's losing ground world wide.

But, if that's truly the crowd that makes them happy... They'll never do it. They like the money too much.

Then again... releasing Reapers AND Dead Inside pre-tour would have brought in different types of fans...? No? Increase promotional penetration, and be able to play your rock songs to a larger % of the crowd.

This band's promotion has sucked immensely since TR, like they're trying to ride that fame with no effort.

It has failed.

When Repaers reach its peak at #2? And when last Muse concert in US?

They promote BH&R and didn't success in US, but when TR promotion, they get high chart in US....

One could argue to Matt, the more they throw in those rarities, the better a response they'll receive (potentially). If they never play them, then the average gig-goer is likely never going to hear them, and thus, not going to respond to them. I suppose one show every few years probably won't make a difference, though.