Nice setlist at Montreux tonight! Never thought I'd hear some of these songs again.

I'd say the crowd undemonstrative rather than unknowing... I was in the front third of standing, people near me had been following Muse (live) since Showbiz... but they were quietly appreciative rather than wild. No pushing and shoving like in the UK. The most obvious difference was that people weren't brain-dead falling down drunk, like they are at a UK gig.

And very few phones and ipads stuck in the air blocking the view.

That crowd reaction clearly proves what Matt said to be kinda moot. That's a club, and people still aren't losing their shit to rarities. I don't really see the appeal in UD falling flat on it's face and everyone being bored, instead of Hyper Music falling flat on it's face but at least the 100 or so hardcore fans are pleased (at arena gigs).

That crowd reaction clearly proves what Matt said to be kinda moot.
Once again, no it doesn't.

1. We all know small gigs regularly get better reactions. Don't deny it simply because we want to prove Matt wrong.

2. This was a festival gig.

3. Muse can't possibly know what the crowd reaction at every gig is gonna be. But generally, smaller gigs get better audiences, that's just the way many people (including Matt) interpret it. What he said was "I think club setting best?", which is totally true.

Once again, no it doesn't.

1. We all know small gigs regularly get better reactions. Don't deny it simply because we want to prove Matt wrong.

2. This was a festival gig.

3. Muse can't possibly know what the crowd reaction at every gig is gonna be. But generally, smaller gigs get better audiences, that's just the way many people (including Matt) interpret it. What he said was "I think club setting best?", which is totally true.

Sorry, I said what I was trying to say badly. Yes, smaller gigs in general get better reactions. My point is that playing rarities and him expecting a great reaction, purely because it was a smaller venue, was silly, precisely because, as you say, it was a festival.

Since no prior knowledge of the setlist was known to fans, unlike say Download or the Psycho Tour, I think it's reasonable to assume that there was a similar ratio of casuals to hardcores at this gig to any other gig of the tour and, small venue or not, you can't expect obscure songs to go down well just because the people are standing in a smaller room.

Edit: Also, they would clearly be able to see if the crowd was reacting well based on the first few songs, which they obviously were not. Considering the minimal nature of the production if they wanted to it would have been very easy to drop some of the rarities from the first half and replace them with TIRO and Hysteria or something.

I take back all my recent talk of positivity. Too many musers on my twitter etc that were there, one of whom was at her 100th gig, so lucky, I feel happy for her and all of them but also FUCK THEM ALL

:LOL:

"Congratulations on Gig #100. It's all downhill from here." lol

I've only skimmed through the latest posts about Montreux, but a few useful clarifications:

- it is NOT a regular festival. You buy tickets for each gig individually, like a series of arena shows. Besides, the tickets were super expensive (around 75£) and sold out in 3 minutes.

- crowd is shit because crowds are shit in switzerland.

Sorry, I said what I was trying to say badly. Yes, smaller gigs in general get better reactions. My point is that playing rarities and him expecting a great reaction, purely because it was a smaller venue, was silly, precisely because, as you say, it was a festival.

Since no prior knowledge of the setlist was known to fans, unlike say Download or the Psycho Tour, I think it's reasonable to assume that there was a similar ratio of casuals to hardcores at this gig to any other gig of the tour and, small venue or not, you can't expect obscure songs to go down well just because the people are standing in a smaller room.

Where are you getting that he was expecting a great reaction from though? What he said was "Got 3 festivals in Switzlerland, was thinking to make me different", and since it was a smaller gig he thought there was a better chance of getting a good reaction.

I'd say it's a pretty fair assumption to make. No matter if the gig was announced as something special or not, the people who get there first are generally the biggest fans (assuming they're not waiting for someone who's on after Muse), and if there are only a certain number of people allowed in, I'm sure the hardcore fans around are more determined to get in. And like the person below me said, maybe people just enjoyed the gig in a different way. I mean, it's not the first time we've talked about how Muse shouldn't judge song reactions simply based on how many people are jumping around. Sometimes you just want to stand and enjoy it. Mostly applies to slower songs, but still.

you are right there is no superiority complex. Since I live in the UK, and travelled to Montreux for this gig.
So you can't feel superior to those from your own country? In my experience that is the most common kind of superiority. "My generation sucks", "Everyone here is an idiot" etc,

I've only skimmed through the latest posts about Montreux, but a few useful clarifications:

- it is NOT a regular festival. You buy tickets for each gig individually, like a series of arena shows. Besides, the tickets were super expensive (around 75£) and sold out in 3 minutes.

- crowd is shit because crowds are shit in switzerland.

Thanks Nikite, took your advice about getting in early, and where to stand, it was perfect for me. You say crowds are 'shit' in Switzerland but I would say the crowd was respectful of the people around them rather than shit. In the UK there's much more pushing and shoving.

There's no way this is real what the fuck?

Edit: So they actually played Furutism and Agitated then? Next time I see them they'll bash out Showbiz, Assassin and Muscle Museum. Already predicted Dead Star, Fury and Citizen Erased from previous gigs!

Thanks Nikite, took your advice about getting in early, and where to stand, it was perfect for me. You say crowds are 'shit' in Switzerland but I would say the crowd was respectful of the people around them rather than shit. In the UK there's much more pushing and shoving.

You're welcome! Yeah I guess it's a matter of preference.

Also, two more things: the festival has a strict policy regarding videos/photos (as in they are forbidden). People still film, but I guess less than usual.

And the festival also records every gig because it's part of Unesco's immaterial heritage (hence the restriction).

Where are you getting that he was expecting a great reaction from though? What he said was "Got 3 festivals in Switzlerland, was thinking to make me different", and since it was a smaller gig he thought there was a better chance of getting a good reaction.

I'd say it's a pretty fair assumption to make. No matter if the gig was announced as something special or not, the people who get there first are generally the biggest fans (assuming they're not waiting for someone who's on after Muse), and if there are only a certain number of people allowed in, I'm sure the hardcore fans around are more determined to get in. And like the person below me said, maybe people just enjoyed the gig in a different way. I mean, it's not the first time we've talked about how Muse shouldn't judge song reactions simply based on how many people are jumping around. Sometimes you just want to stand and enjoy it. Mostly applies to slower songs, but still.

When asked on twitter why they don't play songs regularly he said because they fall flat on 99% of the audience. So it's very clear Matt writes the setlists in order to appeal to the masses. I highly doubt he's going to just say fuck it and write a rarity-filled set just because he feels like it.

Muse are very much a band that feeds off the crowds energy, and they're not going to play a set which they know will result in a dead crowd. If they were cool with that, every gig would be like this and we'd have no problems. Fair enough, it's a small venue, and even if there was a somewhat larger proportion of hardcores there as you suggest, it clearly was not enough to put a sizeable dent in the crowd.

Like I said, his whole argument is "we dont play them because people react poorly to them", and it would be obvious it isnt going over well a few songs in, so since they were able to play Hyper Music on the spot at the Mayan theres no reason they couldnt have dropped Futurism for example and played Time is Running Out instead.

CmZJIfpWYAIBeIz.jpg