I don't know whether this post has any legitimacy or not (it's still a bit early in the morning for me) but I wonder if the setlist picker(?!) realises how important OOS and especially Abso/BH&R are to Muse being an arena and stadium band at present. By 2006 they could easily support the sort of UK tour they are doing now (although am aware they hadn't been such a big hit in the US) on the basis of three rock albums that went down brilliantly live, including the deep cuts.

BUT If The Resistance and T2L had been their 3rd and 4th albums, and they were trying to build their way into arenas with songs like UD, Resistance, Supremacy and Madness, I doubt they would have made it so quickly. As has been said on here, even the more casual fans don't really give a shit about those songs live (except maybe for "Oh Madness I know this one"). If you take them out of the gig, it doesn't really lose anything.

This might be my most stupid post on here ever and I guess I don't really have a point apart from to say they should play AP, TSP, S4A and Assassin more often, but hey.

I don't know whether this post has any legitimacy or not (it's still a bit early in the morning for me) but I wonder if the setlist picker(?!) realises how important OOS and especially Abso/BH&R are to Muse being an arena and stadium band at present. By 2006 they could easily support the sort of UK tour they are doing now (although am aware they hadn't been such a big hit in the US) on the basis of three rock albums that went down brilliantly live, including the deep cuts.

BUT If The Resistance and T2L had been their 3rd and 4th albums, and they were trying to build their way into arenas with songs like UD, Resistance, Supremacy and Madness, I doubt they would have made it so quickly. As has been said on here, even the more casual fans don't really give a shit about those songs live (except maybe for "Oh Madness I know this one"). If you take them out of the gig, it doesn't really lose anything.

This might be my most stupid post on here ever and I guess I don't really have a point apart from to say they should play AP, TSP, S4A and Assassin more often, but hey.

Muse are the Manchester United of music, it's more about big radio hits to expand into new markets rather than re-creating former glories. Occasionally they'll pull out a big performance like old-times but more often than not it'll be a bit safe and at times infuriating.

I think you're pretty bang on. Songs like UD and Resistance are fine and all, but are they really essential in an already limited set list? They're not particularly well liked by older fans and they don't really get THAT much a reaction from the casual crowd. Something like Assassin might not be well known among casual fans but it adds so much more energy to a show. They have so many other songs with such energy (AP, Hyper Music, Bliss, Map) but they seem insistent on playing songs that get a tepid response live.

Ahh, the Absolution/BHaR setlists were so good.

As much as I think you're right in some aspects, any band will want to tour their newest material. I'm sure Muse don't see themselves as a band that have nothing to offer anymore in terms of new music and just tour the same set for 10 years. And songs like TSP weren't even staples during Abso's tour tbh.

I'd much rather they take all the songs they play every night such as TIRO, KOC, Starlight, SMBH, PiB, Hysteria, Madness, Uprising and only play 60% of those each songs at one gig to keep sets fresh, maybe you miss one hit song but you still get 4 or 5 others, allowing for big hits to be played and some more focus on the current albums they're touring and 1 deep cut each night.

As much as I think you're right in some aspects, any band will want to tour their newest material. I'm sure Muse don't see themselves as a band that have nothing to offer anymore in terms of new music and just tour the same set for 10 years. And songs like TSP weren't even staples during Abso's tour tbh.

I'd much rather they take all the songs they play every night such as TIRO, KOC, Starlight, SMBH, PiB, Hysteria, Madness, Uprising and only play 60% of those each songs at one gig to keep sets fresh, maybe you miss one hit song but you still get 4 or 5 others, allowing for big hits to be played and some more focus on the current albums they're touring and 1 deep cut each night.

I don't think the problem has ever been that they are playing new material, it is more the second bit.

Then when you do look at songs they have brought back from previous albums, especially from The Resistance I don't feel these songs reflect Muse's back catalogue well at all (the last tour had Unintended, Feeling Good, Blackout, Guiding Light, Resistance, Undisclosed Desires all in the same set).

I don't think the problem has ever been that they are playing new material, it is more the second bit.

Then when you do look at songs they have brought back from previous albums, especially from The Resistance I don't feel these songs reflect Muse's back catalogue well at all (the last tour had Unintended, Feeling Good, Blackout, Guiding Light, Resistance, Undisclosed Desires all in the same set).

Honestly I thought the T2L arena tour had it perfect. It's such a small thing but having the Host intro to TIRO and Falling Down is a nice little nod to the hardcore fans whilst still playing a good chunk of the album and the big hits as well as heavy songs like the SS/NB roulette.

If they cut 2 different songs from the standard 8 or 9 big hits they play every night and add 1 song from Showbiz and another random deep cut/b side the sets would be perfect imo

Honestly I thought the T2L arena tour had it perfect. It's such a small thing but having the Host intro to TIRO and Falling Down is a nice little nod to the hardcore fans whilst still playing a good chunk of the album and the big hits as well as heavy songs like the SS/NB roulette.

If they cut 2 different songs from the standard 8 or 9 big hits they play every night and add 1 song from Showbiz and another random deep cut/b side the sets would be perfect imo

I was more referring to the stadium gigs. I didn't get a ticket to the arena ones because I was quite bored of their shows after The Resistance then was pleasantly surprised by the sets on the next tour.

It's exactly the same argument, and I don't know why people are confused (well, except the reddit... I know why they're confused. :chuckle: )

The band really only needs to add a couple of fan favorite songs (whether that means older, deep cut, whatever,) into the gigs to find a balance with their older fans and fans who've bothered to listen to Muse outside of the radio.

Whether that means cutting singles like Resistance and UD, or playing two damn extra songs doesn't matter.

The question that isn't explained away by and of the "well, do they KNOW" "maybe they're just into promoting the newer stuff now" "they need to do what's right for the majority" is, well, Dublin vs Belfast.

That was like three days of balanced setlists shoved into just one show, and although the worst case so far, is also what's been happening the entire European tour.

And it's baffling, and people getting the shitty gigs have a right to be upset, especially if it's also a low energy gig from the band.

Birmingham or Dublin set is what everyone is happy with, it's just the rotations what's not fair. Feeling Good, UD and Resistance over CE, SS or Map is bullshit and they know it.

SS / Hysteria / New Born

Map / Bliss / PIB

CE / AP / B&H

There is just endless combinations....

Edited by White Heat

Yeah, supposedly people couldn't afford water, and thought the corporatization was a slap in the face of the spirit of the festival.

In reality, I think people just like to burn shit.

Doesn't that regularly happen at Leeds, or one of those, for no reason?

I see.

And yeah it may well be people have a very odd taste in arson. Worst was 2002 when apparently the sky was turned orange by a load of fires after the end of the festival.

Pretty common at Leeds for people just to set tents etc on fire on the last night, not for any reason in particular.

Happens at Reading as well, I hear.

I hope that one day, Muse will play remixes of their song or make some mashup/medley with their catalogue.

It would be also interesting imo for them to shortened their big singles sometimes (for instance Uprising : intro -> mixed up verse 1 and 2 -> chorus -> solo -> chorus -> ext outro). (well ok i took the idea from Linkin Park with their Tour in 2014 but what do you think?)

I hope that one day, Muse will play remixes of their song or make some mashup/medley with their catalogue.

It would be also interesting imo for them to shortened their big singles sometimes (for instance Uprising : intro -> mixed up verse 1 and 2 -> chorus -> solo -> chorus -> ext outro). (well ok i took the idea from Linkin Park with their Tour in 2014 but what do you think?)

That this is pure shit.

Remixes are shit.

I hated that with LP and would even hate it more with Muse. Pretty sure we would still get 17 songs... at least LP played 25.