Part of the problem is fans taking everything the band says literally and holding them to every word, when some things should be taken with a pinch of salt. (that's not to say the band should get away with spewing bullshit 24/7 either, however)

As Resistance was starting Chris gave Dom a look that pretty much looked like "this is a very big mistake" to me and everyone else I spoke to.

Actually Resistance was when I knew everything was gonna go to shit. I knew there would be no TAB and hence we would get UD. At that point I basically lost all hope, apart from them doing something like Assassin after JFK. I woke up slightly for AP and Stockholm but not even they could turn things around.

I also have a suspicion that it was a last minute decision to not play Assassin. Before Nothing But Thieves came on Glen was walking across the stage and I shouted "Glen! Assassin?" He saw me and smiled and gave a thumbs up before going switching to a "hmm maybe hehehe" kinda expression. Then right after their head of security guy was walking by. At the last Belfast gig we gave this guy saying "Assassin For Belfast" and asked him to bring it to Matt, which he said he did. As he was walking by last night we asked if Assassin was on the setlist and he said he remembered us giving him the sign but hadnt seen tonights set but would come back and let us know. He came back 10 mins before Muse came on. He didn't come over but caught our eye and just shook his head while looking very, very sad.

Also yes I can 100% confirm that Assassin was mentioned to both Chris and Glen on Monday night and they said they were aware that there was a massive fan request for it. I don't know anything else apart from that.

Also on another note I can also confirm that Chris was asked about playing Showbiz with a response of "yes I really really want to play it!" but then said someone else in the band is holding it back.

Weird that Chris would reply like that. I mean if the issue is that Matt doesn't feel comfortable with it, then Chris is a douche for not taking his side, or at least he shouldn't say "well I want to play it, can't speak for others...".

Of course this verges on the type of discussion that isn't really allowed, but that post obviously tells the story that Chris and Dom don't like what's going on.

I guess that's really my question/issue... what the hell IS going on?

Sounds like ryan and the Irish fans saw it too; this has been two different bands for most of this 360 tour.

Even ignoring the US setlists that actually feel like a deliberate slight (or a petty tantrum) after having Bliss crossed out and all "rare" songs removed, a song slot dropped, and CE/Bliss immediately returning in Canada and disappearing again (with the song slot,) and Matt mouthing off about the crowds in an interview, the energy and attitude of the band on stage was an even bigger issue because it effects everyone there, not just us dumb enough to follow the band closely.

Not everyone goes to multiple gigs, not even all of their biggest fans (which is why playing a song "next time" meaning the next gig is ludicrously stupid, esp if it's a different city or country,) so seeing someone perform the bare minimum and act like they're in a bad mood is just plain inexcusable.

You shouldn't have a "bad night" at a job like that; especially not more than like one outlier event, but frequently.

Part of the problem is fans taking everything the band says literally and holding them to every word, when some things should be taken with a pinch of salt. (that's not to say the band should get away with spewing bullshit 24/7 either, however)

When public figures, who are taking your money, say something about the product you're paying for, they absolutely should not be spewing bullshit. In fact, with regular products, that's typically grounds for a refund.

Maybe, just maybe the Assassin comment was a moment of awkwardness. But playing it subsequently at other gigs and then NOT the gig is was promised for is a dick move. And the band is playing equally "unknown" songs at other gigs, so it's not that either.

In the case of the one US CE, the guy had a sign asking for CE and listing all the gigs he was going to. NY was the last, iirc.

Matt gave him a pick, pointed to the sign, and said "tomorrow?"

Which is the same routine he did with Dead Star in the area last tour.

So then deciding to not play one fucking song (and I do believe that gig was one of the one song short ones, too,) that you've already played multiple times on that leg of the tour in the first place, is just pure douchery.

Maybe Matt has always had a dickish attitude towards his fans, but even I've felt he's kept it relatively under wraps before.

Edited by SerpentSatellite

Also yes I can 100% confirm that Assassin was mentioned to both Chris and Glen on Monday night and they said they were aware that there was a massive fan request for it. I don't know anything else apart from that.

Makes me think even more that Matt was fibbing when he said he had no idea about the Showbiz push for Bercy then.

Also on another note I can also confirm that Chris was asked about playing Showbiz with a response of "yes I really really want to play it!" but then said someone else in the band is holding it back.

Reminds me of when Dom said "I'd love to play Showbiz" outside Manchester Academy last year. Similar to when he later said he was trying to convince Matt to play SFA as well, which obviously didn't work out.

Hm.

Maybe Matt has always had a dickish attitude towards his fans, but even I've felt he's kept it relatively under wraps before.

One-off example but I was actually randomly looking back at the MEN gigs from 2006 on Musewiki and, if the quotes are legit, he said and did some pretty dickish things on the 2nd night there. Couldn't help but laugh :chuckle: Those quotes are probs more relevant to the "first night vs. second night/real fans" topic though.

Edited by Jobby

Is it just Matt who writes the setlists? Chris and Dom should have a say in it as well, especially if they're not keen on playing certain songs, such as Resistance. The Showbiz comment pretty much confirms that Matt doesn't feel up to it, most likely down to his voice this tour.

Not that I really want to stand up for Matt at this stage, but Tjet was right about that, too: Dom and Chris shouldn't really be getting people's hopes up, and singling out their bandmate, about fan favorite songs being brought back if they have no input whatsoever on what gets played. Which absolutely seems to be the case.

One-off example but I was actually randomly looking back at the MEN gigs from 2006 on Musewiki and, if the quotes are legit, he said some pretty dickish things on the 2nd night there. Couldn't help but laugh :chuckle: Those quotes are probs more relevant to the "first night vs. second night/real fans" topic though.

Dickish is dickish. :chuckle:

A lot of people have just given him a pass because damn near everything out of his mouth on stage sounds awful, and well, he's just really socially awkward. That's why he doesn't talk on stage. He admits it.

And face it, we want him to not truly be an asshole.

Not a lot of people were even willing to see all of his jabs at the crowds in the US before Showbiz and OoS songs as what they likely were.

Even I just blew it off, even though it bothered me, even the really bad thing I heard last tour; I just convinced myself 'oh, he was super, super drunk and maybe had a bad night,' 'he's having relationship problems and venting on other issues' 'he didn't know that guy was conducting an interview,' etc

I think it was seeing how petty he was at the Weenie Roast that really gave me that sinking feeling.

I knew the US was really in for it once the tour came around, at that point.

Knew this would happen sooner or later lmao. Appreciate the good ass sets that you're getting out there. :rolleyes:

I didn't go to the gig, I had a feeling the set would be crap. Sold my ticket a few weeks ago. I'm disappointed for friends who did go and had read Dublin's set so were expecting something similar.

Yeah no I reckon some Belfast fans would have slight reason to be gutted

ahwGQeENLxU

Exactly.

Also. Tom Kirk has said previously that Matt writes the sets.

In the case of the one US CE, the guy had a sign asking for CE and listing all the gigs he was going to. NY was the last, iirc.

Matt gave him a pick, pointed to the sign, and said "tomorrow?"

Which is the same routine he did with Dead Star in the area last tour.

So then deciding to not play one fucking song (and I do believe that gig was one of the one song short ones, too,) that you've already played multiple times on that leg of the tour in the first place, is just pure douchery.

Fuck. I knew something had happened with CE in NY but never knew that's what had happened. Fucking hell.

I think I'm basically done with Muse live now, bar some form of obvious rarity gig like another Psycho Tour or another Download or album anniversary gig. I don't even enjoy half the songs they play live anymore. It was so refreshing in Dublin to not get PiB for once. TiRO, Uprising, SMBH and Knights are also beyond stale at this point.

Also, my biggest beef with last night was not the lack of Assassin. As I said earlier, we knew before they came on it wasnt happening (but I did have a little hope he was just screwing with us so it would be an even bigger surprise). My biggest beef was THE SHEER FUCKING STUPIDITY of rotating hardcore fan favourites with songs that

1. no one is asking for and add nothing to the set and

2. not even the casuals react well too

Is it just Matt who writes the setlists? Chris and Dom should have a say in it as well, especially if they're not keen on playing certain songs, such as Resistance. The Showbiz comment pretty much confirms that Matt doesn't feel up to it, most likely down to his voice this tour.

Yep, setlists have always been 100% Matt's area tmk, hence why Dom said it was him he was trying to convince for SFA. Other people can suggest stuff to him that he might take in (iirc - Tom requesting MM in 2007 and Dom getting to choose something for his birthday once) but, ultimately, it's down to him.

I've always gotten the vibe Chris and Dom are genuinely up for playing just about anything tbh, sounds like there's some stuff they actively want to play atm that Matt's not letting through though.

Yep, setlists have always been 100% Matt's area tmk, hence why Dom said it was him he was trying to convince for SFA. Other people can suggest stuff to him that he might take in (iirc - Tom requesting MM in 2007 and Dom getting to choose something for his birthday once) but, ultimately, it's down to him.

I've always gotten the vibe Chris and Dom are genuinely up for playing just about anything tbh, sounds like there's some stuff they actively want to play atm that Matt's not letting through though.

Ah yeah, MM in 2007 was in Russia right? I wonder what Dom wanted to play for his birthday? :LOL:

I get that impression too; I do think the sets would be much heavier if Chris and Dom had more of a say. What gets me is that some of the fan favourites/rarities people request are some of the less vocally demanding songs for him. Hyper Music (falsetto A4s), Dead Star and Assassin aren't that strenuous for Matt. Yet they bring back Supremacy and he has a tough time with it. Very odd.

Fuck. I knew something had happened with CE in NY but never knew that's what had happened. Fucking hell.

I think I'm basically done with Muse live now, bar some form of obvious rarity gig like another Psycho Tour or another Download or album anniversary gig. I don't even enjoy half the songs they play live anymore. It was so refreshing in Dublin to not get PiB for once. TiRO, Uprising, SMBH and Knights are also beyond stale at this point.

Also, my biggest beef with last night was not the lack of Assassin. As I said earlier, we knew before they came on it wasnt happening (but I did have a little hope he was just screwing with us so it would be an even bigger surprise). My biggest beef was THE SHEER FUCKING STUPIDITY of rotating hardcore fan favourites with songs that

1. no one is asking for and add nothing to the set and

2. not even the casuals react well too

That's the sort of thing that's exactly bothering me.

You can go to one gig and be blown away, rave about it, and then literally the next one is so bad you're put off the band. And for legitimate reasons.

There's so many "I just love being in the presence of Muse fans" defending how they have to play "commercial" sets, and it's "just business" but I think seeing these black and white sets in Europe cannot be explained in the same ways that people were using to say the US "deserved it." (And fuck that opinion, anyways; our crowds were exactly the same.)

There's absolutely no way Matt isn't aware of these old songs fans are clamoring for, and if his excuse is that the majority of the crowds now enjoy Resistance more, then just do that. Give everyone the same shit set if that's your belief. Don't give one gig five fan pleasers, and stick the next gig with Resistance and UD.

I didn't agree with the sentiment in the US, either. If the crowd reacts like shit to EVERYTHING (in their opinion,) play what you like. Play stuff that people you KNOW have supported you want to hear. Or just keep chasing away the enthusiastic fans until eventually everyone *IS* there for the light show, and you can just keep scowling through the gigs because no one will look... :'(

I thought Dom begging Matt to play The Handler before download was a pretty good indication that he's not really involved in the process.