As a snarky aside, I wonder what that guy who wrote the "Who actually listens to Muse?" Vice article would make of this thread.

I do agree, mind, that Resistance & UD when Assassin was asked for is, even by the standards of this tour, a major low. And yet its still inexplicably an improvement on certain US tour dates that would've got Feeling Good and Revolt instead of AP and Stockholm.

Clearly, next week is going to be a curious one, given we're essentially playing setlist Russian Roulette. I'm thusly looking forward to going out the room to buy a drink during Resistance, Feeling Good and Revolt. :facepalm:

As Resistance was starting Chris gave Dom a look that pretty much looked like "this is a very big mistake" to me and everyone else I spoke to.

Something like this?

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

I don't think I will go see them live again. I went to the gig in the Ulster Hall last year and that will be my last. They (Matt) disrespect their fans, the sets are shit and they just cannot be arsed.

That is actually bang on for last night, they looked bored and half arsed, maybe got to that stage of the tour where it's just same shit, different City.

I actually left last night thinking that's the worse set I've ever seen them play and wish that I'd sold my ticket to my mate rather than £50 I wasted watching a piss poor set.

Stage spectacle aside its a bit boring for hardcore fans and casuals alike. Give me simple stage setups and a few hundred fans anyday.

If Assassin is played tomorrow night then Matt is just a cunt.

Logic - I was at Ulster Hall. Matt said 'maybe next time' after the Assassin tease. Tomorrow is next time for me.

So I'm expecting Resistance, UD, Feeling Good, Revolt and Guiding Light

Logic - I was at Ulster Hall. Matt said 'maybe next time' after the Assassin tease. Tomorrow is next time for me.

So I'm expecting Resistance, UD, Feeling Good, Revolt and Guiding Light

Hooray for high expectations!

Though, yes, the setlist roulette thing has not given me great expectations for Tuesday. Would be in keeping tbf - of the Muse gigs I've seen, the 2 weakest have been at the O2 Arena. Hopefully this bucks the trend... :stunned:

That is actually bang on for last night, they looked bored and half arsed, maybe got to that stage of the tour where it's just same shit, different City.

I actually left last night thinking that's the worse set I've ever seen them play and wish that I'd sold my ticket to my mate rather than £50 I wasted watching a piss poor set.

Stage spectacle aside its a bit boring for hardcore fans and casuals alike. Give me simple stage setups and a few hundred fans anyday.

I didn't go last night, I sold my ticket a few weeks ago and I am thoroughly glad I did. It's their job to entertain people, Matt wrote these songs so I'd half expect him to enjoy what he's doing. If he/they can't be arsed then maybe they should call it a day or stop playing as many dates.

Something like this?

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

That about sums is up :chuckle:

Glen Rowe is a 10/10 guy. "Hey Glen can I have a guitar pick?" "Don't have any on me" "How about later?" "We'll see".

He came back during the Globalist and gave me a handful of them and handed out more to people along the barrier.

They are a band since 20 years, I don't get why Matt is the only one with any say in the setlists? How is his opinion more important than Dom and Chris'? Is it just cos he writes the songs, I don't get it?

Because it's more personal since he doesn't just have to play an instrument, but sing lyrics as well? I mean there's a whole other level of involvement to a song that you're singing as opposed to one that you're drumming (not to downplay Chris and Dom's parts of course)

They are a band since 20 years, I don't get why Matt is the only one with any say in the setlists? How is his opinion more important than Dom and Chris'? Is it just cos he writes the songs, I don't get it?

Think they've said before that it was just a case of separating their 'jobs' with the live shows quite early on in their career. Matt dealt with setlists and production while Dom dealt with merch and support acts. Chris presumably didn't have one 'cause he was busy with his wife and kids.

Guess they just never thought to change that system, though the fact that Matt writes the songs may well have something to do with it too I suppose.

He is the creative force, the front man, the singer, the lead guitarist. Dom and Chris are very good, but they are also lucky that they they hooked up with Matt all those years ago. imo.

As a snarky aside, I wonder what that guy who wrote the "Who actually listens to Muse?" Vice article would make of this thread.

I do agree, mind, that Resistance & UD when Assassin was asked for is, even by the standards of this tour, a major low. And yet its still inexplicably an improvement on certain US tour dates that would've got Feeling Good and Revolt instead of AP and Stockholm.

Clearly, next week is going to be a curious one, given we're essentially playing setlist Russian Roulette. I'm thusly looking forward to going out the room to buy a drink during Resistance, Feeling Good and Revolt. :facepalm:

Something like this?

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

I mean... that said, when we're talking about the differences between stuff like Hysteria/SS, the piano rotations, etc... I'd take one of the US gigs that had some effort on the band's part over last night's set with the band half assing it, any day.

Dublin and the prior night's setlists are another matter, entirely.

Come to think of it... have we had a great setlist where the band wasn't energetic...?

Do the lame sets correlate at all to attitude?

Thought of this the second good setlist/bad performance was brought up. :LOL:

Honestly it's one of the very few times it's actually been outspokenly worse despite having a better setlists. So it's not very common.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/muse/2010/brisbane-entertainment-centre-brisbane-australia-53d29f99.html

Was apparently a pretty bad gig in general, while the first night with its much more generic set had more energy.

I think I do remember that one, actually.

I was mainly thinking this tour, though, as it's really the first sustained period of time I recall hearing that the band (mostly Matt, tbf, Dom and Chris seemed about the same most of the time,) was noticeably half assing it on stage.

Honestly, I think it didn't make any difference, as it was going back and forth in the US and we were largely getting the same generic set every single gig.

Pity there's not really good videos of DC to compare, and great ones from Philly.

It would be understandable to believe that the gigs with the good sets people are just ignoring how crappy the band energy is more than the generic ones, but even though my "good" setlist one was the high energy one, I know I wasn't overreacting about Philly, either. My boyfriend was even put off at Philly, and he thought the sets were equal because he finds CE to be a really long borefest.

Assasssin not being played was shitty but that was better than 90% of the shows in the US and better than every single one of the six shows I got.

Reapers, Stockholm Plug In Baby, Apocalypse Please? I'd be happy with that.

I'd absolutely take the DC gig over last night's set, so I'd say it was pretty close to a lot of the US sets. :(

What has really started to make me mad (and so, so jealous) is that even on the, what, two gigs where the tech stuff worked in the US... it looked like shit.

Take a look at these fucking drones, for instance:

At least they were still sort of cool flying over us in GA. They looked embarrassing from the seats.

Assasssin not being played was shitty but that was better than 90% of the shows in the US and better than every single one of the six shows I got.

Reapers, Stockholm Plug In Baby, Apocalypse Please? I'd be happy with that.

Do you have a point to all this or do you just like to remind everyone of how bad you've got it?

Do you have a point to all this or do you just like to remind everyone of how bad you've got it?

Dude, he's just reminding everyone else of how bad he has it. You don't have to be bitter about it. It's not like Sweden has had it worse or anything. :rolleyes:

I'm just saying let's get back to reality here, what you guys got is more than acceptable for a Muse arena set. If they added a couple more songs it'd be perfect.

There was hardly any "pop" in the show last night and I thought the lack of heaviness for a rock band gig was the complaint here.

Dude, he's just reminding everyone else of how bad he has it. You don't have to be bitter about it. It's not like Sweden has had it worse or anything. :rolleyes:

"Wahh they haven't played in Sweden for two tours, I have to hop on a plane which cost me less than a hundred dollars to get to their next six night residency"

At least if you traveled for a gig you'd get a good one. Want to trade places with me?

I can see why you posted the Four Yorkshireman yesterday.

Maybe next tour Muse will play Guiding Light and Revolt back-to-back in a hole in t'road while the crowd has to suck cold tea from a rolled up newspaper.

Sweden has a fighting chance this tour. Norway, however, they're just going to be throwing paper airplanes off the balcony instead of the drones.

I'd pay to see that.

I'm just saying let's get back to reality here, what you guys got is more than acceptable for a Muse arena set. If they added a couple more songs it'd be perfect.

There was hardly any "pop" in the show last night and I thought the lack of heaviness for a rock band gig was the complaint here.

You just like to remind everyone that it's wrong to complain because it's not as bad as what you got.

This "if they just..." argument is getting pretty weary. They don't, that's the issue. It doesn't work as an argument if they keep on NOT doing the thing that would make the sets great.

You guys talk about how boring to repeat the same speculations over and over, yet 90% of what you post these days is basically "That's not bad, what they did to US was bad"