Could it possibly be that the crowd is responding better when the band is more "on" and are getting songs they're excited about or are heavier.

Nope. We got a worse set tonight in terms of rotation. However, it wasn't a small difference in the crowd, it was huge! We know how to enjoy ourselves in Manchester. That energy has to rub off on them. Tbh, you strike me as someone who is only happy when it rains!

How many other bands mix it up so much during a tour? In some regards it's good and others it's bad. I tend to lean on the good side, but must admit to feeling somewhat let down when I see what other dates have had.

Went to the O2 on the 3rd and whilst I thoroughly enjoyed the "experience", I was left feeling with the "somewhat let down" feeling. Really wanted Bliss, which we got, but NOT the brilliant live vocal of yesteryear.

Never been a real fan of FG, but for some strange reason rather enjoyed it on the night.

Biggest let down was no SS, AP or CE (all of which I have seen live before).

I just feel that the guys owe it to us to acknowledge their back-list of songs more than they do - after all, that's what essentially got them to where they are now. I don't mind a few "popularist" [sp] radio songs, but it does seem that the balance has shifted to that direction.

The visuals were amazing - as confessed by my 13yr old son who didn't want to go, but thoroughly enjoyed his 1st "proper" gig. BUT how long can Muse simply rely on pumping out the radio songs with a world class presentation? People will move on, whilst true hardcore fans will remain committed. The real concern being that the true fans will become disillusioned with the commercialization of our beloved.

I am now left wondering whether to look for a ticket for next week in London, knowing that I could end up without the songs that I had wanted last weekend. At least with keeping the exact same setlist throughout the tour, you know what you're getting!

Maybe if you're going to switch things up, then let people know what you're going to play on each night. At least then we can can make an informed decision on whether to part with our hard earned cash, at the same time letting the band know where they stand with their audience.

Nope. We got a worse set tonight in terms of rotation. However, it wasn't a small difference in the crowd, it was huge! We know how to enjoy ourselves in Manchester. That energy has to rub off on them. Tbh, you strike me as someone who is only happy when it rains!

You strike me as someone who likes to insult others on the internet for no reason.

You strike me as someone who likes to insult others on the internet for no reason.

I read your posts and you do like to moan (a lot). I said I enjoyed tonight more than last week because the crowd were better and I think it rubbed off on the band. You decided to jump all over that like the fun police.

Sorry you got a raw deal, but please don't try to kill anyone else's buzz.

Manchester crowds know how to have a good time! I'm hoping the crowd will be better for the O2 next week also. Monday and Tuesday were the originally advertised dates so maybe they'll have the keenest fans. Last Sunday's O2 was the fifth night put on sale, this may have contributed to the relative quietness.

I was at the O2 last Sunday and whilst being in the seats, the "atmosphere" wasn't as obvious, I did notice that in comparison to previous tours, the standing crowd did seem a bit subdued. I believe that the majority of blame lies with the 360 stage. The relaxed standing experience had been a common theme with most of the Drones tour and I certainly do not expect it to improve!

Therefore it is up to the guys to decide as to whether they see this as a successful and enjoyable tour, and whether they should in future return to a more tradition set up.

IMHO, what will decide the success of this tour is the layout of the stage AND the setlists.IF they decide to ignore the latter, then I believe that a lot of die hard fans will lose patience and look elsewhere. Be careful Matt & co, this could be the start of the end (although I sincerely hope not).

How many other bands mix it up so much during a tour?

Maybe if you're going to switch things up, then let people know what you're going to play on each night. At least then we can can make an informed decision on whether to part with our hard earned cash, at the same time letting the band know where they stand with their audience.

I don't think it's really that common at all. I'm familiar with bands rotating a song or so, or playing exactly the same night after night, with the exception of some very, very small artists playing in bars, or something.

One of the bands my boyfriend is into did something I really like with their last tour.

Before the album came out, the did a decent sized tour that was *very* heavy on their older material, and things they knew to be fan favorites.

After the album came out, they did a more traditional set that included new material, more singles and newer album stuff.

And they toured in a lot of the same regions, close enough that we were easily able to go to one of each gig.

So, it might be completely unreasonable, and undesirable, for Muse to let people know what they're going to play night to night, something like that could have been possible.

A lot of us have been remembering Matt saying he wanted to do a mix of small and large gigs, and I think that would be a great time to do fan service smaller gigs without all the stage get up, and the traditional/generic gigs at arenas, and to do them in the same areas.

It would also allow them to be able to actually tour an acceptable amount of the US, and they could leave the massive stage show to areas they know will sell without leaving the majority of the country in the dust.

I read your posts and you do like to moan (a lot). I said I enjoyed tonight more than last week because the crowd were better and I think it rubbed off on the band. You decided to jump all over that like the fun police.

Sorry you got a raw deal, but please don't try to kill anyone else's buzz.

I asked if maybe the crowd reactions weren't a factor of the band's reactions, and not vice versa. That's a pretty harmless question, and I was genuinely curious, as ryan had previously stated that Matt looked happier when playing stuff like CE, and they're possibly bored with the "staples."

I didn't even comparatively get a raw deal. I'm more just critical of the band's attitude in general. I guess the "raw deal" I got was the band's frontman saying he dislikes playing in our country, and yeah, I do like to moan about that. It's pretty unprofessional and heartbreaking. And he still loves taking our money.

Very interesting that the "positive" fans are the ones that always feel the need to insult the critical ones who largely aren't doing so to others (with one exception, but I think that's pretty much his deal. :chuckle: )

Also, you could tell that the band enjoyed it more too because of the crowd. I personally thought they seemed pissed off last Saturday.

Can only agree with this after going to both Birmingham and tonight.. The crowd difference was night and day.. I did the MEN for the 2nd Law tour and the place was bouncing then too so I hoped for as much for tonight. Although the set list wasn't quite as good (feeling good for CE) I am still delighted because I got bliss and hysteria which I haven't seen live before so I've seen all of what I was realistically hoping for from my three gigs (I'm going tomorrow too) in CE, Bliss, Map, Hysteria, SS and TAB so anything different tomorrow is a bonus (although I would love CE again) fingers crossed the crowd will be as up for it again as it made a big difference to the shows energy

Very interesting that the "positive" fans are the ones that always feel the need to insult the critical ones who largely aren't doing so to others (with one exception, but I think that's pretty much his deal. :chuckle: )

Eh there's bullshit on both sides imo. Like the constant idea that the fans who are mostly positive must just be forcing themselves to like everything Muse do, or deluding themselves. This board has pages upon pages of negative discussion, while the reasonable positive posts from people at the gigs go largely ignored.

I'm not saying criticism is unwarranted--this is the first Muse tour that I've skipped since I first started seeing them in 2009. But the more positive people definitely get drowned out/looked down upon here. Not to mention all the snide comments about the fandom on other websites like Reddit and Facebook.

Would be cool if we could sometimes agree to disagree without the shit-slinging, on both "sides." Not that that will ever happen, but I can dream.

Eh there's bullshit on both sides imo. Like the constant idea that the fans who are mostly positive must just be forcing themselves to like everything Muse do, or deluding themselves. This board has pages upon pages of negative discussion, while the reasonable positive posts from people at the gigs go largely ignored.

tbf, when I talk about those sorts of fans, I'm probably meshing here, FB, reddit, etc, together. We do seem to have less of those types of fans, but they tend to be the dominant faction in other places. Even standing and waiting for the Philly gig, we were inundated with really quite disturbing fangirlism.

It's probably not that obvious is people don't venture to those other places.

Although I do think the "I'd be okay if they banged pots and pans together for two hours" fan was from here, iirc. :chuckle:

I don't think people had to "force themselves" to like their gig; I had a good gig, and I enjoyed it despite a really good share of negative points (center stage, broken props, etc.) I just see a large amount of "you didn't like the gig, you don't like the band" stuff floating around. Or the "just be in their presence" stuff.

It's honestly more just that positive stuff doesn't lead well to discussion.

When someone posts they loved a gig, it's awkward to follow up with a dozen posts saying "yay" or something, and it feels like there simply aren't enough of us left to talk about positive aspects of gigs like that together, as we largely didn't go to the same gigs.

The larger difference that I see is that the critical or disappointed fans are mad at the band, and often with very good reason this tour, imo, while the positive ones seem mad at critical fans. Which, I suppose, yes, gives the impression sometimes that they feel the band can do no wrong, and it must be other people's fault.

I don't think a single one of us really wishes someone got a shitty gig like we did or begrudges the *fans* for lucking out, but we're often given the impression we must have deserved our shitty shows for some reason (crowd wasn't "good enough" etc.)

tbf, when I talk about those sorts of fans, I'm probably meshing here, FB, reddit, etc, together. We do seem to have less of those types of fans, but they tend to be the dominant faction in other places. Even standing and waiting for the Philly gig, we were inundated with really quite disturbing fangirlism.

It's probably not that obvious is people don't venture to those other places.

Although I do think the "I'd be okay if they banged pots and pans together for two hours" fan was from here, iirc. :chuckle:

I don't think people had to "force themselves" to like their gig; I had a good gig, and I enjoyed it despite a really good share of negative points (center stage, broken props, etc.) I just see a large amount of "you didn't like the gig, you don't like the band" stuff floating around. Or the "just be in their presence" stuff.

It's honestly more just that positive stuff doesn't lead well to discussion.

When someone posts they loved a gig, it's awkward to follow up with a dozen posts saying "yay" or something, and it feels like there simply aren't enough of us left to talk about positive aspects of gigs like that together, as we largely didn't go to the same gigs.

The larger difference that I see is that the critical or disappointed fans are mad at the band, and often with very good reason this tour, imo, while the positive ones seem mad at critical fans. Which, I suppose, yes, gives the impression sometimes that they feel the band can do no wrong, and it must be other people's fault.

I don't think a single one of us really wishes someone got a shitty gig like we did or begrudges the *fans* for lucking out, but we're often given the impression we must have deserved our shitty shows for some reason (crowd wasn't "good enough" etc.)

Thanks for the response. I can't say I disagree with anything you said.

Though just to play devil's advocate for the people that are just happy to be in the band's presence, I can kind of understand that mindset (thought I'd bet most of that talk is hyperbole). It could be that they've had less of a chance to see Muse live than some of the more jaded fans, or maybe that they're the type of people that focus more on the positives than the negatives. And when you love something so dearly it can be hard to understand how so many people can be much more critical than yourself.

I dunno, maybe I just miss the days when I could completely fanboy over Muse with no real complaints, and am just trying to live vicariously through the fans that haven't become as jaded yet. :p

This place can get depressing after reading the negative comments constantly. Even agreeing with a lot of the criticisms and contributing to several myself I like to take a break sometimes and recollect the fact it's just a band. I am still a fan.

Though just to play devil's advocate for the people that are just happy to be in the band's presence, I can kind of understand that mindset (thought I'd bet most of that talk is hyperbole). It could be that they've had less of a chance to see Muse live than some of the more jaded fans, or maybe that they're the type of people that focus more on the positives than the negatives. And when you love something so dearly it can be hard to understand how so many people can be much more critical than yourself.

I dunno, maybe I just miss the days when I could completely fanboy over Muse with no real complaints, and am just trying to live vicariously through the fans that haven't become as jaded yet. :p

Oh no, absolutely.

I've been a real fan girl for a very long time, but I guess since I was always a bit down about the live shows to an extent, not having gotten to see them until TR and knowing I missed the period of time where I would have loved the shows to death, it's been easier for me to be critical of them, while still enjoying them.

I still think, even comparatively, this tour is a shambles, but that's not everyone's opinion. And I openly admit the tour has been extremely inconsistent in Europe. Some of the shows seemed downright amazing. Yeah, damn right I'm jealous. I don't want other people to not have enjoyed their gigs, though. I want everyone to have that opportunity to feel that way.

I will never agree that UD rotated with TaB is anything less than criminal, though. :chuckle: (and it's possible I might even listen to UD on album more than TaB...)

I dearly wish I could go back to the good ol' days, I really do.

I've always known my Muse obsession wasn't healthy, and I was ashamed of it enough to hide it from my bf for half a decade.

Their music had just been a part of my life for such a long time, and I had so much emotional connection to it (probably unhealthy,) and when I was literally struggling to make it until Drones' release, coupled with how much I honestly loved the album, and it was almost exactly all I could have hoped for...

Well, hearing the song writer is disdainful of the fans in my whole country was such a slap in the face, coupled with the fact our shit gigs were likely intentional, too.

I haven't figured out how to just let it go, yet, I guess. Bitching makes it feel a little better, maybe.

I know it's not healthy, or mature. But, emotions often aren't, I suppose.

I also repress a lot of bitchiness irl. :chuckle:

Edited by SerpentSatellite

My thoughts on last night:

- Great start, weird middle, good ending

- Feeling Good was the only piano song I could see fitting in that slot, but those three songs were hardly my highlights

- Guy infront of me at the bar was desperate to see Resistance but i'm glad he was disappointed

- Bliss should be on most setlists

One of the bands my boyfriend is into did something I really like with their last tour.

Before the album came out, the did a decent sized tour that was *very* heavy on their older material, and things they knew to be fan favorites.

After the album came out, they did a more traditional set that included new material, more singles and newer album stuff.

And they toured in a lot of the same regions, close enough that we were easily able to go to one of each gig.

What band is this?

Yeah, kind of like a prick. Who knows, maybe they are a prick?

:LOL:

This band...I'm always on edge with their current gigs. Why do I get the horrible feeling that we'll get the same set as Belfast, but with USoE in place of AP? I reckon this will be the last tour we see AP :(

Don't get me wrong I'm sure I'll still enjoy the gig, but I'd be majorly let down with Resistance and no TaB.

Does anyone know what time they started and finished last night? Hope I can make the last train home.