Do you like Reapers?  

698 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Reapers?

• Yes!!
    • Maybe
    • Nope
    • Electronically arousing

Do we think the outro was a live riff or actually part of the song?

I'm betting it's either part of the song or it's part of another new song the didn't play yet. Especially considering Matt did some falsetto during it, and they had a siren track playing.

As soon as I've heard the tapping intro, I've just thought about one thing:

"Between The Hammer And The Anvil".

And I simply f**king love it!!

Also, I really like how the track constantly changes throughout: a bit "progressive", on my opinion.

Useless to say, that funny whammy solo upon the chorus melody really amuses (lol) me, and I think the outro is clever enough to close brilliantly the track (despite of, as some of you have reported, its similarity with "Freedom").

Regarding the vocals, uhmm... I admit I'd like to wait for the studio version. It's clear that Matt needs to get used again to such falsetto levels.

Edited by MartianSpaghettiRider

Also, someone said the first half of the solo sucks? That's my favourite half... The most Muse-like part of the solo!

it is not muse-like at all in the first half. matthew has NEVER played solos which had non melodic parts in it. Never. There was always a melodic idea behind it (Thoughts of a dying atheist, new born, hysteria, dark shines, guiding light, invincible). In the first half there is none really. It is similiar to those "wank solos" from the classic/hard rock era. BRRR boring.

The first half feels like "yeah im doing a solo just for lulz" unlike all other muse solos where it actually adds something to the song.

Matt showed I KoC that his high falsetto is as good as ever. I think it's the soft low one that is the issue, which has been the case for several years now. Weird that he'd choose to sing the song like that when he obviously needs to work on it loads.

Matt showed I KoC that his high falsetto is as good as ever. I think it's the soft low one that is the issue, which has been the case for several years now. Weird that he'd choose to sing the long like that when he obviously needs to work on it loads.

as u said such falsettos have always been harder for him and they are harder to do. But a) he always struggles in the beginning of a tour

b) i actually like how it sounds, maybe he does as well

as u said such falsettos have always been harder for him and they are harder to do. But a) he always struggles in the beginning of a tour

b) i actually like how it sounds, maybe he does as well

Yeah definitely, the first few gigs always have some issues, especially with new songs that he needs to get used to singing on a regular basis.

I also believe Matt is trying on some more head voice stuff as opposed to falsetto.

Hmmm, i'm normally one to defend every thing that comes out of Muse, but i'm not so keen on this.

Falsetto in the chorus is terrible. Im hoping its just the fact they have not played it live before

Also, i find the song very disjointed. It doesn't fit together. Its like a mash of live riffs and AC/DC. Also a lot of it sounds improvised?

Oh well, i'm sure it will sound better on the album!

it is not muse-like at all in the first half. matthew has NEVER played solos which had non melodic parts in it. Never. There was always a melodic idea behind it (Thoughts of a dying atheist, new born, hysteria, dark shines, guiding light, invincible). In the first half there is none really. It is similiar to those "wank solos" from the classic/hard rock era. BRRR boring.

The first half feels like "yeah im doing a solo just for lulz" unlike all other muse solos where it actually adds something to the song.

Supermassive Black Hole? That one is noise...

i still don't see where this whole Ac/dc comparison is coming from? the riff sounds more ratm than anything and the solo sounds yeah a little 80s but 80s guitar players just used pentatonic scales that's why they all sound so similar - but oh no god forbid matt use a simple scale for a solo...

i love this song, and i'm happy to finally see a bit of a self indulgent solo from matt. i imagine, like most things muse, it (solo) will evolve over time. lots of room in there to explore. i know i love this song because when i tried so hard to like madness, i had this pit of the stomach feeling that i didn't really like it. Seeing psycho and reapers live now, i have none of that. completely excited for this album.

sidenote: how many people accidentally typed rapers so far? i caught it. :LOL:

The song is heavy and all, but...I don't know... It's just, forgettable.

On the other hand, imagine listening to Citizen Erased for the FIRST TIME recorded live with a phone. Would you like it? I'm guessing the comments would be: "meehhh boring verses", "boring chorus", "wtf is that weird solo?", "i don't like how it jumps from heavy guitar riffs to slow piano", etc...