Do you like Reapers?  

698 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Reapers?

• Yes!!
    • Maybe
    • Nope
    • Electronically arousing

The song is heavy and all, but...I don't know... It's just, forgettable.

On the other hand, imagine listening to Citizen Erased for the FIRST TIME recorded live with a phone. Would you like it? I'm guessing the comments would be: "meehhh boring verses", "boring chorus", "wtf is that weird solo?", "i don't like how it jumps from heavy guitar riffs to slow piano", etc...

good point and something i always wonder. what if pink floyd had a message board? (at the time) i bet you'd get the same sampling of hyper critical "fans" not realizing they are micro analyzing and insulting possibly the best album of all time. now, i'm not comparing muse (or this album) to that, but more of an analogous situation. point being...negativity has always existed, but the internet gives everyone a megaphone.

edit* screaming my name. just before someone else does it.

I simply love everything about this song with the exception of the damn chorus. But I'm hoping it's the fact that he is still learning how to sing it live... But the guitar work on the track is damn good! The bass and drums are good too, but they may be branded as RATM rip offs by many. Well, can't wait to hear the album version anyways to fully analyse it!

good point and something i always wonder. what if pink floyd had a message board? (at the time) i bet you'd get the same sampling of hyper critical "fans" not realizing they are micro analyzing and insulting possibly the best album of all time. now, i'm not comparing muse (or this album) to that, but more of an analogous situation. point being...negativity has always existed, but the internet gives everyone a megaphone.

This, and it's why I should have really stayed away from the board after listening to Reapers. I was blown away by it, I thought it was fun and mad and wild, but coming on here and reading people's criticism of it - a lot of which is fair, but a lot of which is also a bit ridiculous - has slightly diminished that enthusiasm (even though I know it shouldn't)

EDIT: and yeah, if Muse had been the first people to do a song called "Money" with cash register noises on it, I bet a large number of people would be getting properly annoyed

While I do see your Point, I don't quite agree with the sentiment that there's something objectively wrong with people's complaints simply because others consider the album (or in this case the song) objectively good.

Edited by Tjet

While I do see your Point, I don't quite agree with the sentiment that there's something objectively wrong with people's complaints simply because others consider it objectively good.

i don't disagree. i just think the immediacy of everything now makes people rush to judgement...both for the good and bad, and sometimes taking a step away from the computer and privately listening is a much healthier experience, for me anyway. Yet, i still come back. it is a drug.

i don't disagree. i just think the immediacy of everything now makes people rush to judgement...both for the good and bad, and sometimes taking a step away from the computer and privately listening is a much healthier experience, for me anyway. Yet, i still come back. it is a drug.
But honestly, do you really think someone will rush to judgement, and then not change their mind the the studio version turns out to be a major improvement? I just don't see much harm in the pre-release whining from some people. It it's just a case of bad recordings, the final product will obviously solve that once it arrives.

OK, I gave in and had a listen.

The lead at the start is brilliant, and personifies Muse. It's neo-classical, J S Bach inspired, pattern based goodness. Similar to 'In Your World', 'Glorious' or 'Apocolypse Please' arpeggios.

The verse itself coming in sounds very much like Crying Shame, which I have always liked.

The pre-chorus riff is rocking. The chorus is a bit cheesy sounding, but will be great recorded.

But yes, the solo and following section are a bit AC/DC for my liking! Probably will be better on the album though.

But honestly, do you really think someone will rush to judgement, and then not change their mind the the studio version turns out to be a major improvement? I just don't see much harm in the pre-release whining from some people. It it's just a case of bad recordings, the final product will obviously solve that once it arrives.

Yes, open minded people will be rational like this.

Yeah definitely, the first few gigs always have some issues, especially with new songs that he needs to get used to singing on a regular basis.

I also believe Matt is trying on some more head voice stuff as opposed to falsetto.

I don't think that vocal distortion on it helps too much either. Especially for recording the audio through a phone from a live show.

But honestly, do you really think someone will rush to judgement, and then not change their mind the the studio version turns out to be a major improvement?

This just begs the question of why people invest time into voicing and defending half-assed criticisms. The concept of complex music needing time to grow on you isn't new to Muse fans.

This just begs the question of why people invest time into voicing and defending half-assed criticisms. The concept of complex music needing time to grow on you isn't new to Muse fans.
the whole idea that someone can properly judge a song after one or even five listens is so strange to me. Sure there are instant hits, but if I don't like a song at first, it might become my favourite song ever after 15 listens. Some things are worth investing your time in, and songs that have taken me a while have ended up being played over a hundred times according to my lastfm.

the whole idea that someone can properly judge a song after one or even five listens is so strange to me. Sure there are instant hits, but if I don't like a song at first, it might become my favourite song ever after 15 listens. Some things are worth investing your time in, and songs that have taken me a while have ended up being played over a hundred times according to my lastfm.

I strongly agree with this.