Do you like Dead Inside?  

569 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Dead Inside?

• Yes
    • No

it's pretty cool but doesn't make sense in the narrative for bits of drill sergeant to come before dead inside.

It could be a vision or a premonition of what is to come, or Dead Inside could be a prequel of Psycho, where the protagonist is reflecting back before coming into the present again.

The lyrics are pretty dark tbh. The music and everything else just not so much.

Really? I could have sworn being dead inside was something positive.

NSC isn't a breakup song at all though
Meaning it was written as the result of a breakup, not that it's about a breakup.

Oh it is! Can't you tell? :facemelt:

Going by the comparison with NSC, I wouldn't say it's a fist to the face... but more a mild slap as it's not nearly as cheesy (to me anyway).

Oh I know, but shhh.

Something tells me the people who wish Matt to be unhappy for the sake of good music aren't the kind of people who'd like Dead Inside.

"lol guys real song is on the album this was just pretend"

It's not exactly unheard of for things like that to happen, there's no need to take the piss.

It's possible, the first 'Dead inside!' does sound like it's fading in from something that should be before it, that might just be the effect they were going for though. Knowing Muse, they probably thought that'd be a great way to open the album 'cause they like shocking people and doing things differently blah blah etc.

It's not exactly unheard of for things like that to happen, there's no need to take the piss.

It's possible, the first 'Dead inside!' does sound like it's fading in from something that should be before it, that might just be the effect they were going for though. Knowing Muse, they probably thought that'd be a great way to open the album 'cause they like shocking people and doing things differently blah blah etc.

Except we already know that the track length is the same on iTunes as it is on the single

iTunes might have the single track length on the album page, only to change to the full length by the time the album is out.

:rolleyes: they also have Psycho without drill sergeant's length. Take that as you will. Changing track times isn't very common from what I've seen considering it's part of the product they've received, I don't expect any difference

In all honesty, I despised this track when it dropped. I thought it was just a darker track off of The 2nd Law which I disliked, and I even posted about it when Muse posted it on Facebook (to a lot of insults about my hair for some reason). But now it's settled on me, I absolutely adore it. Seriously, I've had this thing on loop recently, that second half of it is absolutely beautiful. Passionate vocals, well played instrumental parts, and my god the music is absolutely soaring.

Plus it's not Psycho, so that's always a good thing.

God help us, it seems so...

I don't know how things always go from "I don't like this song, this is what I think would make it better" discussions to "I think the band's yanking our chain, and there's a better version out there somewhere."

Except no one's said that there's a 'real version' or that the band has tricked us. A couple of people have just said that it's possible that the single is a radio edit and that the album version could (hopefully) be longer, not exactly outlandish viral speculation.

Personally, I think the version we've got now is the album version given that's how they performed it live and surprising people by starting an album with a big Backstreet Boys moment is the kind of thing they like doing nowadays. A radio edit isn't out of the question though.

No, but it's pretty close to some of the stuff said about Follow Me, in it's time.

Anyways, when you buy the song on, say, iTunes, you select it as part of the album, not as a single. I think that's pretty convincing that it's not different once the album comes out.

And yes, also because it was performed that way with the intro live. I like the "robot voice" quite a lot more than Matt just singing it out plain, too.

I think the reason this song has been such a grower for everyone is that it was not what was expected. Matt said that they'd strip back their music and go back to basics, so three piece, which dead inside pretty much is. People just assumed that that also meant rock and psycho made us think this was confirmed and then we hear dead inside and it's like "whoa dude, this is not rock", but it is stripped back... so... yeah... it's good, but ppl didn't get that at first cos they were dissapointed it wasn't Stockholm Syndrome version 2.0

I think the reason this song has been such a grower for everyone is that it was not what was expected. Matt said that they'd strip back their music and go back to basics, so three piece, which dead inside pretty much is. People just assumed that that also meant rock and psycho made us think this was confirmed and then we hear dead inside and it's like "whoa dude, this is not rock", but it is stripped back... so... yeah... it's good, but ppl didn't get that at first cos they were dissapointed it wasn't Stockholm Syndrome version 2.0

You're completely right, especially since this is the album opener. The song starts out with the electronic voice so that probably put a lot of people off, but there's no denying the last 2 minutes of this song are rockin' as all hell.