Do you like Dead Inside?  

569 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Dead Inside?

• Yes
    • No

You're completely right, especially since this is the album opener. The song starts out with the electronic voice so that probably put a lot of people off, but there's no denying the last 2 minutes of this song are rockin' as all hell.

As an amendment, I'd like to add that I still think this is a kind of transition track between TR/T2L era and Drones, like they made it sound like a stripped down version of something that could appear on T2L and used it as the opener and lead single to tease/hint like the beginning of New Born

As an amendment, I'd like to add that I still think this is a kind of transition track between TR/T2L era and Drones, like they made it sound like a stripped down version of something that could appear on T2L and used it as the opener and lead single to tease/hint like the beginning of New Born

The problem with that is New Born kicks butt and this stuff doesn't.

I really like that idea! I couldn't really see Dead Inside on T2L but as a transition I could, especially with how it switches in the middle. Really gives a sense of transitioning.

Possibly, but it's such an awful bit of lyric writing!

Meh, I see it as honest. I get what he means, people look at you a certain way when you feel the total opposite inside. Comes off as corny but when you realize it's honest then it should at least make sense rather than being cringy

Really? I liked that lyric.
I do too.

That choice of words, it definitely strikes me as something he could have heard or read about himself. As in, how he'd be viewed in general, rather than by someone in specific.

It's the whole point of the lyrics, really. That what someone shows or looks to the others isn't exactly what they are like inside. She's "ablaze and alive" but dead inside; in the end he's "the greatest guy" but also dead inside. Basically, empty shells.

Edited by mjartrod

I do too.

That choice of words, it definitely strikes me as something he could have heard or read about himself. As in, how he'd be viewed in general, rather than by someone in specific.

It's the whole point of the lyrics, really. That what someone shows or looks to the others isn't exactly what they are like inside. She's "ablaze and alive" but dead inside; in the end he's "the greatest guy" but also dead inside. Basically, empty shells.

It's a lot more honest than many of his other more grandiose lyrics which get lost in their themes and come out as archetypes, but this, though not the most eloquent he's been at least has a point and some depth.

At least it's better than "birth squeeze".

It's a lot more honest than many of his other more grandiose lyrics which get lost in their themes and come out as archetypes, but this, though not the most eloquent he's been at least has a point and some depth.

At least it's better than "birth squeeze".

"birth squeeze" was totally original. Nobody ever used that lyric before.

Greatest guy / dead inside is the best two lines in the song. It's about juxtaposition. The whole song builds to that moment - it's basically the whole song in a nutshell, the moment the protagonist loses all hope and starts to succumb to indoctrination.

Greatest guy / dead inside is the best two lines in the song. It's about juxtaposition. The whole song builds to that moment - it's basically the whole song in a nutshell, the moment the protagonist loses all hope and starts to succumb to indoctrination.

It sounds like shit though.

I do too.

Pretty much.

It's the definition Matt gave of the concept of the psycho - someone who seems like a great person, but who lacks emotion and empathy and is ultimately manipulative.

It's got nothing to do with how the female character in the song views him, because she's already at that state, and doesn't really "see" him at all.

"birth squeeze" was totally original. Nobody ever used that lyric before.

And it should have stayed that way.