Do you like Dead Inside?  

569 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Dead Inside?

• Yes
    • No

Wouldn't expect it to, due to it's genre but mostly due to the fact that it's not really a single anyway

Well it is, at least in the sense of being a promotional single, but now that it's going to be released as part of a double A-side single makes that more apparent now.

I feel odd saying T2L didn't have "staying power" when Madness was so utterly, insanely successful for such an extended period of time (in the US, at least.)

Maybe just that the way people buy music has changed to such a vast degree that single songs will far outstrip the albums at times.

I also feel like Madness started really slowly on radio. Was big in larger, more trendy markets, but fell off rotation entirely in many other areas, and came back with a vengeance.

So, DI still has hope.

I feel odd saying T2L didn't have "staying power" when Madness was so utterly, insanely successful for such an extended period of time (in the US, at least.)

Maybe just that the way people buy music has changed to such a vast degree that single songs will far outstrip the albums at times.

I also feel like Madness started really slowly on radio. Was big in larger, more trendy markets, but fell off rotation entirely in many other areas, and came back with a vengeance.

So, DI still has hope.

It didn't stay in the charts for very long, dropped way down in the charts when it did, and was more #2 in most places than #1. Also Madness charted for 40 consecutive weeks in the Billboard top 40, I don't really think that's "slow"

It didn't stay in the charts for very long, dropped way down in the charts when it did, and was more #2 in most places than #1. Also Madness charted for 40 consecutive weeks in the Billboard top 40, I don't really think that's "slow"

I assume you're talking about DI in the first part, and what I mean is, it still has plenty of time... They haven't done a stitch of promotional stuff for it yet, such as TV shows, even.

And Madness didn't start out at number one, did it? I could be wrong, but I know it was slow in many markets, and that would be odd if it debuted and stayed at number one.

I know for a fact it dropped to like 80th in rotation locally for a few weeks, and then was suddenly being played once an hour for months.

I assume you're talking about DI in the first part, and what I mean is, it still has plenty of time... They haven't done a stitch of promotional stuff for it yet, such as TV shows, even.

And Madness didn't start out at number one, did it? I could be wrong, but I know it was slow in many markets, and that would be odd if it debuted and stayed at number one.

I know for a fact it dropped to like 80th in rotation locally for a few weeks, and then was suddenly being played once an hour for months.

I was talking about T2L in the first part, and Madness did I believe.

Ah, I see ya now. I still think the trend towards buying single songs digitally has hurt album sales to an extent, and it's a bit weird to say T2L was a bit of a failure when Madness was setting records.

Yeah it definitely has. I think T2L was a weird case because it just wasn't as strong a record in the charts as TR, and Uprising was a pretty solid single that represented the success of the album, and both Uprising/TR were prominently featured in Apple advertisements around that time too which definitely helped with promo (although I don't really know why that happened but hey, good stuff). Madness just seemed like a one off chart "success" with Panic Station kind of flopping about, I don't think it really raised much interest in whether Muse had actually put out a new album. Uprising + Resistance + Undisclosed Desires all got pretty decent airplay and I feel like that album had more commercial appeal than T2L in the way it was presented. If Follow Me had been the second single rather than Panic Station then things might have been different.

Anyways, on the "greatest guy" thing... I hear that said, like, every single day. Not about themselves, of course, but by girls about their new boyfriends, guys about their guy friends, girls trying to get other girls to date their boyfriend's friend...

So, the only thing a little awkward in the song is Matt apparently saying it about himself, but really it's done in a self-deprecating, sort of wistful way, that I guess it never bothered me.

And it needed to sort of fit the rhyme scheme.

Anyways, on the "greatest guy" thing... I hear that said, like, every single day. Not about themselves, of course, but by girls about their new boyfriends, guys about their guy friends, girls trying to get other girls to date their boyfriend's friend...

So, the only thing a little awkward in the song is Matt apparently saying it about himself, but really it's done in a self-deprecating, sort of wistful way, that I guess it never bothered me.

And it needed to sort of fit the rhyme scheme.

Yeah, this. I read it as him feeling the pressure weighing down on him to keep up a façade, wanting to feel like that inside/in the esteem of his other again. And of course to highlight a stark contrast

it kinda annoys me that the bass drum/bass in the song are not perfectly centered, this seems to happen way too much with music. At first I thought my headphones were faulty, but a downmix from stereo to mono shows clearly that the bass frequencies are shifted somewhat to the left.

I almost wish it was total nonsense. At least then it might not be so painfully heavy handed.

Hear, hear! I'm happy with the rest of Dead Inside, even the repeated uses of "babe" (probably because of how often Simon Neil used it on Opposites, I'm just numbed to its cheesiness) but "greatest guy" is just horrific

Wait a moment I think I've seen this lyric discussion in another thread...

The whole "greatest line" guy feels just like a really quaint way to cap off the track and sum it up considering the rest of the song lyrically is fairly well constructed and on-point.

I can see why it's considered by people to be so "standard" though.

Edited by Carbo