I just wish they'd ban phones in the crowds just say "enjoy the show, we'll have the video available on our website so you can share with friends and family" and release proshot video/audio. The crowds started sucking when smartphones stopped sucking and that's no coincidence.

At least get rid of them in the pit. I was behind a VIP who was snapchatting during the whole show and only focused on the band during Starlight and Madness. I've never wanted to slap someone more in my life.

At least get rid of them in the pit. I was behind a VIP who was snapchatting during the whole show and only focused on the band during Starlight and Madness. I've never wanted to slap someone more in my life.

I got stuck behind someone at the Blur gig in Llandudno last year who was recording the whole bloody thing on some supermassive smartphone: not quite an iPad but might as well have been for the view it afforded me. I eventually managed to escape from behind him but :mad:

Might be controversial to say but I actually don't mind people filming and taking pictures. Hell, I've done it a few times. Not for a whole gig, obviously, but quick pictures or filming half a song here or there. Obviously there's the whole "official photos/pro-shots do it better than you" thing (which there's no guarantee of with Muse tbf) but sometimes I find it nice to look back at my own stuff so I can remember exactly what it was like from my perspective.

When I went to see Jack White, some guy came on-stage beforehand and told everyone to actively put their phones away and it didn't seem to totally sit right with a lot of people, even if they weren't planning on filming. People just seemed a bit iffy on effectively being told how to enjoy the gig. Idk, just came across a tiny bit elitist/pretentious, but that's Jack White for you tbf :chuckle:

Where I draw the line is when it starts actively impacting other people's fun i.e. complaining about people bumping into you/telling people to stand still or move so you can record better (what do you expect?) or holding up something ridiculous like a bloody iPad and blocking everyone's view (I've actually seen this). If you're keeping to yourself though, I've got no problem with it.

just my 2p

Edited by Jobby

Might be controversial to say but I actually don't mind people filming and taking pictures. Hell, I've done it a few times. Not for a whole gig, obviously, but quick pictures or filming half a song here or there. Obviously there's the whole "official photos/pro-shots do it better than you" thing (which there's no guarantee of with Muse tbf) but sometimes I find it nice to look back at my own stuff so I can remember exactly what it was like from my perspective.

When I went to see Jack White, some guy came on-stage beforehand and told everyone to actively put their phones away and it didn't seem to totally sit right with a lot of people, even if they weren't planning on filming. People just seemed a bit iffy on effectively being told how to enjoy the gig. Idk, just came across a tiny bit elitist/pretentious, but that's Jack White for you tbf :chuckle:

Where I draw the line is when it starts actively impacting other people's fun i.e. complaining about people bumping into you/telling people to stand still or move so you can record better (what do you expect?) or holding up something ridiculous like a bloody iPad and blocking everyone's view (I've actually seen this). If you're keeping to yourself though, I've got no problem with it.

just my 2p

Maybe it's gig maturity? I used to film stuff when decent camera phones first became available but quickly realised that a) the quality isn't great even on latest phones; b) you don't take it in watching via a screen; and c) no one really cares

I saw Public Service Broadcasting last year and they opened the gig with a service announcement about 'Jimmy' who used his phone to record songs and put them on facebook and no one liked them, everyone in the gig hated him, his parents were disappointed in him for spending all day watching facebook waiting for a like etc...It was quite amusing :LOL:

Oh god I take pictures and the occasional video, that's perfectly acceptable (because I am the arbiter of acceptable gig behaviour, obvs ;) ) This guy literally filmed the entire thing, and apparently watched the entire thing via his device as well. Dude, they're RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU. Why are you watching it second hand when you're standing AT THE GIG??

Edit: although my videos always come out shit anyway so I probably won't bother again.

Also I noticed that I never actually look back at the photo's and movies I make during gigs. Not only because the quality isn't that great, but also because it doesn't really capture the moment at all.

If you just really attend to the fact that the band is right in front of you and focus on having a good time right there and then instead of wanting to record everything, the overall experience will be a lot better. At least for me.

Considering I see most of the good shit Muse does through video anyhow, I can't really complain about people taking them. But if you're going to do it, at least make it decent. If it's a shaky, blurry mess overlaid with your shrill screaming, just watch the gig. :LOL:

The problem is when people think it's okay to hold their shit up in front of your face, so you can't enjoy the gig at all.

I also keep hearing that Boston had some really crazy safety restrictions that held back the number of GA tix that could be sold, as well as even where people were allowed to stand on the floor.

In Detroit, they pushed a makeshift barrier up closer to the stage between X Ambassadors and Muse, creating an aisle in the back that no one was allowed to be standing in besides staff. Not sure if they do that at every show or if that's just what they did at Boston, too. There already wasn't much space between the stage and the lower bowl, and that just further decreased the space. It did kind of make people look like sardines, but was still nothing compared to a normal end stage GA crowd.

my thoughts on people taking pics/videos: Just don't use flash, and don't let your actions affect someone else's concert experience. Oh and if you're holding an ipad in the air, then you deserve to be shot.

As for me, I don't waste my time taking pics. Why? Because someone else will take better pics than I will ever get. So I can just enjoy the show, and google media from my gig later.

I've wondered about there being only one inlet to the floor at some arenas, too, with one of the arrows blocked off.

No idea how common it is (hopefully not at all) but in the Pepsi Center, we had to enter and exit from the very top of the first tier of seats, and there weren't exits (or bathrooms *shudder*) on the GA level.

I thought this radio station review was a pretty good example of what's going on with them in the US; a lot of absolute raving about the "theater" aspects of the show, and then calls Bellamy an "unsung hero" on the guitar after saying how surprised they were to hear him play.

http://myradio929.com/2016/01/26/muse-boston-garden-assault-senses-amy-brooks/

I don't know much about the radio station, except that it seems to play a lot of 90's light rock, and other than a short block of tracks before and after the gig, hadn't played a Muse song in days, despite the adds for the concert being on the front page. :chuckle:

A lot of Starlight and UD in there.

There are always people from every type of concert and band that enjoy being the first ones out of the arena to beat the traffic. Doesn't matter who or what is playing, they just want to be out asap.

It's not just concerts. Attend just about any sporting event and you'll see people leaving before it's over. I tend to assume that casual fans and season ticket holders don't feel like they're going to miss much by leaving 15-20 minutes early.

I've been to a lot of concerts and games over the years but really only a few of each every year. I always stay to the bitter end even if it happens to be a concert that doesn't totally thrill me or a sporting event where my team is getting crushed. I just like the experience of "being there" enough that I don't worry about traffic or getting home late.

At least with sporting events, you often get to a point where the outcome is a foregone conclusion.

I remember my dad always hauling me out of ball games early when we were losing.

Unless the game is a blow-out, I'd say concerts have more of a foregone conclusion (especially if you follow their setlists) than sports. I've seen crazy stuff happen in a final inning or final 2 minutes of a game tons of times to know it's worth staying for.

One of my biggest pet peeves is people leaving early, especially when it affects the people around them that want to stay. Walking in front of people while the game or show is on going is extremely rude to those that want to stay. I always say, if you want to beat traffic, stay home and watch the game

At least with sporting events, you often get to a point where the outcome is a foregone conclusion.

I remember my dad always hauling me out of ball games early when we were losing.

A friend of mine went to a Notre Dame vs Louisville basketball game a few years ago. Louisville led by 8 points with less than a minute to go. My friend left the game because he figured it was all over at that point. ND came back to tie the game and they ended up playing 5 overtimes before ND won it in the end. My friend who is a big ND fan listened to the whole thing over the radio while driving home. He's swears that he'll never leave a game early again.