I think Aftermath could be decent if they put a bit of power into performing the ending. If they don't it could be worse than studio, like the T2L Guiding Light performances.

I don't think Matt can nail the ending if he can't sing the Madness ending and The Handler ending properly.

OR THEY WON'T EVEN PERFORM IT.

It's mind boggling how quickly and willing the American hardcore fan base is to throw themselves under the bus in defense of Muse's right to against their own interests when it comes to length and deep cut distribution among shows versus other geographical locations. The best part is, they're always newer fans that started going to shows in 2009 at the earliest (seeing them open for U2), they have absolutely no idea of what it's like to get a good American tour that is treated fairly,it's like trying to explain what the color red looks.

I thought the gaming industry was bad in that regard, but fucking hell, this is embarrassingly dumb.

Edited by Alexander DeLarge

Boston got the same set length as Detroit; possibly they've just dropped a song in the US.

I really wanted to be wrong and have the Canadian sets carry over into this wing of the US. The thought that they really don't give a shit about us for some reason sucks.

FWIW, they did at least plan on doing USoE in Detroit.. was anything on the Boston setlist that they skipped?

FWIW, they did at least plan on doing USoE in Detroit.. was anything on the Boston setlist that they skipped?

Nope, unless I saw a faked setlist, which seems unlikely, it was just shorter.

And ADL, someone in that FB group actually explained what the deal is with the US sets, they just didn't come out and say it explicitly. Looks like Glen told it to her, and it's almost exactly what my friend was told during T2L.

I agree it's kind of grim that people still defend it, though.

Edited by SerpentSatellite

If you think about it, if they're going in with this business mentality of the US being a different crowd, and that they can't really let loose but have to tailor their sets to that crowd (which I would argue that they themselves cultivated... Intentionally, but not relevant to my point...)

Well, it's not hard to envision them painting everyone there with the same brush, and just sort of having a collectively negative view of the US crowds and possibly playing here in general.

Would absolutely explain why they've had two tours starting out with songs like Bliss being dropped after only a few shows, why Reapers was dropped for a pop hit (until the massive backlash,) and why Matt's only comfortable playing even just one non-hit song on second nights after taking requests from fans he knows will be there.

Explains Matt's little speeches before any rarity, OoS, or Showbiz song every played, too.

Would even account for the short sets.

It's still depressing that the band wouldn't throw something nice like CE or Bliss to the fans who truly love the band, though, and fuck "the masses" for just like 5 minutes in favor of them, and to think playing in the US is a negative experience for them. (And they take our money.)

The crowd last night responded mostly to the ballads, or the "hits." So they may have a point unfortunately.

I really don't think anyone's said they don't, tbf.

The problems come with that not explaining why the sets are short, or why they're willing to play CE and Bliss in Canada where the crowds were still the same (and Matt still prefaced CE with "no one knows this.")

I've said a million times it feels like; people are so black and white on this "big picture" issue, when really it takes about 5 minutes to make everyone happy. Having to please the masses doesn't mean you can't play ONE song for people who have loved them for a long time, or even a new fan who listened to the old albums.

People were largely raving about the Canadian sets, and they just had one extra song that was a nod to longer term fans.

If we got one of those sets, it'd be a lot easier to say "yeah, we'll this is super poppy... but at least I got to see fucking Map and Bliss! Awesome."

And if it's simply a case of they aren't thrilled about having to play these kinds of sets in the US... Why sell themselves in our country to easy listening fans and pop loving teenagers in the first place?

They could have catered to a more rock audience, and accepted that would mean smaller crowds.

Edited by SerpentSatellite

It's mind boggling how quickly and willing the American hardcore fan base is to throw themselves under the bus in defense of Muse's right to against their own interests when it comes to length and deep cut distribution among shows versus other geographical locations. The best part is, they're always newer fans that started going to shows in 2009 at the earliest (seeing them open for U2), they have absolutely no idea of what it's like to get a good American tour that is treated fairly,it's like trying to explain what the color red looks.

I thought the gaming industry was bad in that regard, but fucking hell, this is embarrassingly dumb.

I think it's more that we know the US gets less than the other countries and there's really not much you can do about it. You can keep complaining until you're blue in the face, and you can be disappointed day in and day out, but that still will not impact the setlists and recent shows prove that. People have been complaining about them since BH&R days.

If you're not happy with most of what's being played as the standard setlist, cut back on the amount of shows you're going to and keep things local and casual. Loosen up, meet up with friends and fans, party a bit, hook up with someone new, just have a good time! Think of the positives-- you're not slaving away at work, you're not stuck inside for a boring evening, you've got nothing to worry about that night except whether or not your favorite song gets played. That's a pretty damn good situation to be in. If you're still super miserable after a show, then there's probably no hope for happiness for you, ever. :LOL:

I think there are two issues.

First is that the set is again like one sonmg shorter - like Detroit. That's pretty inexcusable. That just should not happen as there is no reason to give the US (or up to now two nights in the US) shorter sets than the rest.

Second would be the songs played. It sucks that they dropped rarer/older songs again. Some colleague who also went to Montreal said the CE was such a great song even if he did not know it before.

But even if they do not want to play these songs in the US for whatever almost twisted reason they should then fill that slot with another one. Shortening the list makes no sense to me at all.

And I do not even put into that argument that the lists are rather short to begin with anyway.

So removing a song just leaves me completely baffled.

I love Muse and have always been entertained at their gigs. But I definitely agree that they should at least add one or two older/"rare" songs to their sets. It's not that much work and it would please their hardcore base. And I bet the majority of their newer crowd would even enjoy it. At this stage of their career, they have a huge and impressive catalog of music. It's time to embrace it and showcase it. Regardless of what country the gig is in.

The most confusing aspect to me is that Muse will actually pull out rarities for festival shows where a lot of people aren't even there to see them. You'd think that those crowds would be the ones to get the potentially most familiar material. Muse crowds at actual Muse concerts are the ones most likely to recognize and appreciate a lesser known song. I seem to recall Muse playing Citizen Erased a few years ago at Lollapalooza in Chicago but then they didn't play it at their own shows. Bizarre.

I suppose you could say in some bizarre twist of logic that they feel more liberated to play a couple of rare songs to a crowd that isn't 100% there to see them.

The short sets and lack of nod to the "hardcores" is disappointing to say the least, but honestly what's really got me down is the belief that the band just doesn't even enjoy playing to us.

The most confusing aspect to me is that Muse will actually pull out rarities for festival shows where a lot of people aren't even there to see them. You'd think that those crowds would be the ones to get the potentially most familiar material. Muse crowds at actual Muse concerts are the ones most likely to recognize and appreciate a lesser known song. I seem to recall Muse playing Citizen Erased a few years ago at Lollapalooza in Chicago but then they didn't play it at their own shows. Bizarre.

The only reason I can think of as why they do that is scripted stage setup that has a set number of staples with prepped visuals/effects that they do not want to rotate.

Then they also have a length (read: way too short) and then try to work around their selfimposed limits to keep some rotation slots.

And it looks that the rotations in the US are just a bit worse than e.g. in Canada.

At festivals they do not care as much of having a "show" experience including visuals/effects and play whatever they feel like which is probably less of the material they are gonna play every night on their own tour which directly leads to more rare songs during festivals.

I suppose you could say in some bizarre twist of :logic: that they feel more liberated to play a couple of rare songs to a crowd that isn't 100% there to see them.

The short sets and lack of nod to the "hardcores" is disappointing to say the least, but honestly what's really got me down is the belief that the band just doesn't even enjoy playing to us.

Their American set lists remind me of a classic rock band playing a reunion tour for everyone who just wants to hear all the hits one more time...or for people who never had the chance to hear them when the band was still relevant.

Well if anyone in here gets the chance to meet them this week they should ask them what the hell the deal is with these US set lists instead of OMGGG CAN WE TAKE A PICTUREEE
I'd like to see you do it.

Oh wait, you'll just become a fan like everyone else and won't be able to say anything other than "omg can we take a picture?". Actually probably not even that.

They've never been afraid to drop songs that have huge visual components, though. Animals had some of the best visuals during the T2L arenas, and it was missing for a good portion of the US gigs.

Look at UD this time around; it seems to be gone, and it had one of the big visuals shticks of the tour. Surprised they just didn't add those visuals to another song, tbh.

Most of the set's visuals are decently generic enough that they could rotate easily, even without that.

Oh wait, you'll just become a fan like everyone else and won't be able to say anything other than "omg can we take a picture?". Actually probably not even that.

What's interesting is that some of those "superfans" DID ask about the setlists...

Then again, someone asked Matt about his braces once, so it does take all kinds.

??? What am I supposed to be scared of? Lol if I had like five minutes to myself with Matt I wouldn't feel weird at all asking what their Thought process is with these setlists, AND id probably try to grab a picture too, what is he gonna ban me from the fandom?

??? What am I supposed to be scared of? Lol if I had like five minutes to myself with Matt I wouldn't feel weird at all asking what their Thought process is with these setlists, AND id probably try to grab a picture too, what is he gonna ban me from the fandom?
:erm: Who said or implied anything about being scared?