??? What am I supposed to be scared of? Lol if I had like five minutes to myself with Matt I wouldn't feel weird at all asking what their Thought process is with these setlists, AND id probably try to grab a picture too, what is he gonna ban me from the fandom?

I guess I wouldn't exactly count on him being honest.

Also... how would you feel if he said something really negative?

Yeah, I got that.

Have many people in the US had any luck meeting them like that? Seems really tough around these parts to even get a picture or a signature.

I'm saying, though, that people have asked them, and at best you just get "well, that's just business," which doesn't really answer our concerns (short, not a single rarity.)

Yeah, i guess i initially Meant that i see that sometimes people have a chance to have an extended conversation with them and tend to just Waste it on getting a picture and leaving it at that

Wouldn't it be a bit rude to just complain to someone you just met, or don't really have a personal connection with? I've had the opportunity to meet Matt and have a bit of a chat without any other fans around, but I didn't waste that time to nag his ear off about set lists, especially when they're a bit exhausted after pouring their energy out at a show.

I certainly think, in a long enough conversation, it wouldn't be rude to say something like "hey, just genuinely curious, but why are sets so short in the US? Some of us have been fans for over a decade and would just die to see a cool old song. We can't all afford to go to Europe, as much as we'd love to." More engaging than squealing and asking for a photo, anyways.

Not every question or concern is a complaint.

Again, not that it's going to happen. :chuckle:

I certainly think, in a long enough conversation, it wouldn't be rude to say something like "hey, just genuinely curious, but why are sets so short in the US? Some of us have been fans for over a decade and would just die to see a cool old song. We can't all afford to go to Europe, as much as we'd love to." More engaging than squealing and asking for a photo, anyways.

Not every question or concern is a complaint.

Again, not that it's going to happen. :chuckle:

I suppose it's usually the last thing on my mind in those situations, so I rarely bring it up.

Yeah, i guess i initially Meant that i see that sometimes people have a chance to have an extended conversation with them and tend to just Waste it on getting a picture and leaving it at that
I do agree that it somewhat annoys me that people who meet their idols seem to waste that time taking pictures or asking the same questions that a million interviews have already answered.

"What is your favourite band???"

"Rage Against The Machine"

"ooooh okay"

But at the same time I get that it might be very weird meeting them, and that you might get shy, starstruck, scared or that you just can't think of anything to say. I mean I know first hand. God I made a fool of myself (not with Muse).

So I'm back home after the weekend in Québec City for the show on the 23rd, and have put together some of my thoughts on the show. You can read the full and overly detailed thing over on the gig thread here:

http://board.muse.mu/showthread.php?p=11327791&posted=1#post11327791

To summarize: really enjoyed the show. The 360 stage was cool and worked better than I thought it might, and though it's not my favourite of theirs, it still looked impressive. We had seats right in the centre (about 3/4 of the way up the lower bowl), and the view was great. Definitely a show worth being in the seats for, and the crowd there even seemed a bit better than how it looked on the floor (lots of people around us getting really into it). I would like to see them return to something more "conventional" next time.

The drones were definitely a highlight (they did work properly for us), as were some of the visuals (especially for the Handler and the Globalist).

Of the new songs, The Handler was the definite standout, and Reapers was amazing - glad we didn't get stuck with Revolt! Quite enjoyed Dead Inside and Psycho, and The Globalist was great but the crowd seemed bored to tears (people were talking over the first part and sitting down....:stunned:) Neat thing to note: for the first part of The Globalist, Chris plays the rhythm guitar while Matt plays the slide guitar and Morgan plays the bass, and Chris swaps back to bass for the heavy part.

Getting Bliss and Map was fantastic too, as Map is an all-time favourite of mine and Bliss was new for me (and a great live song). Resistance over UD was a very good move, and only disappointment (in the context of these current sets) was no AP, even though I do like USoE (a better option than FG). Still needs another piano song. Nice to see Matt guitarless for very little time now, only Starlight and the start of Uprising (still doesn't make sense in either of those songs though....).

Crowd was okay, but definitely a step down from the Montreal crowds last tour. Many more middle-aged folks from the look of it, and sadly Madness got the loudest reaction (by a fair margin). Was great to be in a sold out arena though, as even the less energetic crowd still felt very lively.

I do completely agree with a lot of the negative comments around here about this tour (set is too short, song choices could be better, VIP getting barrier is nonsense, poorly promoted tour, etc.) but I'm still glad I went. A fun night! :)

But at the same time I get that it might be very weird meeting them, and that you might get shy, starstruck, scared or that you just can't think of anything to say. I mean I know first hand. God I made a fool of myself (not with Muse).

That was my experience meeting the band last tour in Montreal. I spent so much time while we were staking out the entrance thinking over all the interesting things I could ask them, and even had one very specific question I wanted to ask. All of that just vanished the moment they stepped out of the car (and of course came back to me immediately after they left...). :$

I suppose it's usually the last thing on my mind in those situations, so I rarely bring it up.

I would assume that that's how it would go with almost anyone, unless they'd met the band loads before, weren't that into them, or talked with celebrities for a living.

Which I guess is what my point that Tjet's point was. :chuckle:

I think I just took issue with the "rude" thing because there's such a culture of "if you have an issue, you're out of the fanbase" mentality. There's a lot of people even saying making requests is rude, which is ludicrous, since they've even worked from time to time.

I think the people who are saying (yes, largely not in person) to the band "hey... we love you, but how about a song for us old fans...?" are being complimentary in a way; the band sometimes makes us feel like they don't believe pre-Twilight fans exist. (Sometimes=always.) Or that those fans universally refused to listen to Muse's back catalogue.

People have said a lot worse things to them trying to be nice, and maybe overly familiar.

I found Dom, Tom, Morgan and Dom A pretty easy to talk to. Well, Tom was actually weirdly intimidatingly cool. Morgan was super lovely though and Dom was dead laid back which relaxes the people he talks to I think, probs why I was able to ask him about Showbiz.

Can't deny that my voice went when Matt popped up though, I could barely say "could you sign this pls" and "good gig" without my voice cracking into oblivion :LOL: and he's the guy who writes the setlists, so I can imagine it being hard to directly bring up.

I would assume that that's how it would go with almost anyone, unless they'd met the band loads before, weren't that into them, or talked with celebrities for a living.

Which I guess is what my point that Tjet's point was. :chuckle:

I think I just took issue with the "rude" thing because there's such a culture of "if you have an issue, you're out of the fanbase" mentality. There's a lot of people even saying making requests is rude, which is ludicrous, since they've even worked from time to time.

I think the people who are saying (yes, largely not in person) to the band "hey... we love you, but how about a song for us old fans...?" are being complimentary in a way; the band sometimes makes us feel like they don't believe pre-Twilight fans exist. (Sometimes=always.) Or that those fans universally refused to listen to Muse's back catalogue.

People have said a lot worse things to them trying to be nice, and maybe overly familiar.

Yeah, i honestly have no doubt Id Be super star struck if i met them, but if i had an extra minute or two along with me asking for a photo/signature i think Id be able to throw in a Question like you just proposed in a polite manner, something like "hey maybe give Futurism a spin tonight?" Lol:rolleyes:

Tom walked right into my boyfriend when we were walking around the arena last time in MN, and noticed that I obviously recognized him because he stepped back and looked me in the eyes like he was waiting for me to talk instead of just going around us.

I just lowered my eyes, apologized to him (for running into us,) and went around. :LOL:

Being shy or starstruck aside, there's a clear difference between venting frustration here and directly confronting members of the band, even in an innocent, inquisitive manner. It would have the risk of coming off either accusatory or even ungrateful, which probably wouldn't help matters at all. I also don't suppose it would change anything. They've had a different approach to their setlists in this country since 2004, why on earth would they do something about it now?

Being shy or starstruck aside, there's a clear difference between venting frustration here and directly confronting members of the band, even in an innocent, inquisitive manner. It would have the risk of coming off either accusatory or even ungrateful, which probably wouldn't help matters at all. I also don't suppose it would change anything. They've had a different approach to their setlists in this country since 2004, why on earth would they do something about it now?

People even meet them in the US from other countries and ask about specific songs, so I don't see why it would be seen as a problem.

I wouldn't ever advise bitching to them like we do here to take out frustrations, but a simple "god, I've loved your music for so long... you seem really reluctant to play stuff like Bliss and CE... why? It's fucking amazing and we would love to hear it" actually seems complimentary.

People even meet them in the US from other countries and ask about specific songs, so I don't see why it would be seen as a problem.

I wouldn't ever advise bitching to them like we do here to take out frustrations, but a simple "god, I've loved your music for so long... you seem really reluctant to play stuff like Bliss and CE... why? It's fucking amazing and we would love to hear it" actually seems complimentary.

Requesting a specific song is a lot better (and probably much more common) than asking why they play less songs here which I thought is what we were all getting at.

Requesting a specific song is a lot better (and probably much more common) than asking why they play less songs here which I thought is what we were all getting at.

Can kill both birds by simply phrasing things well. :chuckle:

Letting them know you're a huge fan who would love to see them add a rare track or two to the set does both.

Or like an after-gig meet up, saying something like "omg, gig was amazing but it felt so SHORT! Wish it could have gone on so much longer; you have so many more amazing songs I would have loved."

"omg, have you ever thought about doing a 3 hour gig like Pearl Jam?? I would just die!"

All of this.

I'd really like to think that they could handle the criticisms of their hardcore fans that wait 15-20 hours out in the cold to see them. Problem is, the same people who are vocal about the setlists in private conversation and online don't say anything when they meet.

As long as you're not approaching them in some sort of extremely hostile way, I think anything that people want to say should be said.

I don't know why people automatically assume others would be harsh when dealing with the band in person.

Shit, I'm "proper" enough in person that I wouldn't even talk to them if given the chance, because I think it's just a weird situation to try and be familiar with a complete stranger, and that they'd be compelled to talk to me because of it.

And also I suppose because it would break my heart a bit if they said something rude to me. :chuckle: