My plan is to try and meet them again after my gig in Manchester just before the 4 main London dates so I'll try and mention it then. Thing is, I wanna get some other requests in (1 for each gig, if they'll let me)

As a matter of interest, what songs would you request?

edit: wow museisti is quick

1. Showbiz

2. More Assassin (hopefully it'll show up in Europe, no offence America)

3. More Muscle Museum

4. If Matt sorts out his voice, SFA

5. Same condition, CoD (I'd prefer this one over SFA tbh but I think SFA is much more likely, being a single and all)

Could Matt even deliver TaB these days? If he could though it would sound mega. Stick Knights back up in the midset and have TaB as the closer. Ideally rotate/KoC/TaB as closers but I don't think they'll ever drop Knights.

He could do his whole walk abouts thing during the first half too because it has basically no guitar until halfway in.

Yep that's what I remember too so I thought I'd narrow my #ShowbizFor2016 campaign down to London. And they must KNOW we want it, I've done my best at gigs/meeting them in 2013 and 2015 and they certainly have acknowledged the various signs/banners at gigs both years, and last summer both times I met Dom I pretty much begged him for them to play it lol. Don't think he was too enthusiastic about it...? Idk the response from all of them has been "oh we haven't rehearsed that one in ages!" every time.

But Dom did say at the live lounge thing he'd love to play some Absolution stuff, the only problem seemed to be to convince Matt... Although Matt did ask "when?" when we asked if they could play Showbiz, I think one of us must have said next european tour so let's see if he remembers...

Good luck with meeting them :awesome: what are you planning to request??

At the Manchester Academy gig last year, people were requesting Showbiz as the band went in and Dom said something like "Showbiz? Yeah, I'd love to play that. Been ages though." We chanted for it early on at the gig and even threw balloons with it written on on-stage but to no avail :chuckle: I asked Dom about it when they came out and he said that they really wanted to play it but just couldn't remember it and didn't have enough time to relearn it.

I'm not 100% sure tbh, it changes :chuckle: I guess it depends on how many they let me have. If I'm allowed one for each gig, it'd ideally be Assassin, Sunburn, COD and HTAILY (piano). If they couldn't do the last two though, I'd probably swap them out for MM and RBS.

This is pretty much Muse's problem. They're know for their lighter, poppier songs and 85 percent of arenas are filled with people that are purely their for Starlight, Madness and Uprising. I guess what it is coming down to is that Muse don't care if they lose the 15 percent of fans that are dying for literally 1-2 rarer songs, because it is the 85 percent of lighter fans that are filling their arenas and singing along to their lighter songs.

Muse are obviously a band that feed off crowd vibe, why make the effort to bring out a rare song only for your crowd to stand there dumbstruck playing on their phones? When they can easily get a huge reaction out of a song like Uprising? There just isn't a whole lot of room in the US scene for rock music, and that's why Muse are struggling to get their heavier/deeper stuff known.

It's weird that this is happening after the momentum they gained. Coming off the T2L tour and the Psycho/Festival tour, it's really weird that they plummeted like this at this point.

The difference in reaction to, say, Uprising and any other song with the crowd is noticeable, but it's still a really quiet crowd. It doesn't become a European crowd for the singles, or anything.

There's enough complaints about the current US crowds being dead to back that up, since they're playing a set nearly entirely composed of singles and new stuff.

Plus, again, a huge difference can be made by not changing anything other than the length of the set.

Muse has courted this soft (and since last album) older crowd, but then gets put off by a softer audience, and fundamentally misreads American audiences in general.

They then keep catering to this crowd, especially at the live shows, alienating the "rock" fans, and keep being disappointed with crowd reaction... I honestly don't know how they aren't expecting this. Removing one Bliss or CE and replacing it with a more known song, or taking out a heavy song like Reapers, isn't going to make the crowd more enthusiastic for the entire set.

Muse is a band that not only manages to alienate fans from album to album - which is common enough with any band, really, but Muse does like to make radical shifts in material - but even within an album.

I typically love the diversity in their music, but would someone who heard Dead Inside on the radio always find much else to love with Drones? It's the only song remotely like that on the album.

Same with Madness; they release and hit big with a giant nearly mainstream pop single, and the album is six completely different genres of music.

They put out Drones, which has actually been referred to as fanservice to their rock fans, and possibly little appeals to the pop fans. But then they still play to the prior audience.

The way people get their music nowdays, it's more and more likely they're going in to large shows with people only knowing a few songs in the first place.

I've found it all really confusing.

Not to mention when they catered just SLIGHTLY more to that "rock audience," and less to the "tourists" there only to see a big spectacle, with the two small shows, they got a remarkably different outcome with crowd energy. Which seems to be what they want, but for some reason aren't willing to follow through on.

Edited by SerpentSatellite

Their soft-pop songs are a minority in their back catalogue but in the majority of their singles since 2006. Not all softer poppier songs need to be released as singles, some can just be 'album filler'. But since they've gone down this route the live sets now do not reflect the band's output as a whole and that's why these arguments continue to crop up regarding the setlist

I mean, that's exactly it.

The difference in the US is they act as if no one knows not only the back catalogue, but the new stuff as well, while in the other countries they've retained other fans.

And that's fair, I suppose, but feels like they're assuming no one listens to the other material (Matt outright states it onstage,) and are angry with the crowds that they themselves cater their singles and gigs to.

While still being vocal about not wanting to create an entire album of accessible singles.

It's a feedback loop that they create, and what really do they even want from fans here?

The strange part here is that Muse are not really touring to increase sales of Drones in the US. They're giving away a digital copy of the album with each ticket sold. I'm not sure how wise that marketing decision was. Most fans already had the album before buying their ticket and now anyone else who bought a ticket receives it as well. Maybe another old song or two could pique some interest in their back catalogue among more recent casual fans.

Totally changing the subject. Watching some good old Muse 20....12, and man, I think people forget how hard the material was. I mean it's been said that it's no wonder Matt can't sing Dead Inside properly due to its difficulty but really

Totally changing the subject. Watching some good old Muse 20....12, and man, I think people forget how hard the material was. I mean it's been said that it's no wonder Matt can't sing Dead Inside properly due to its difficulty but really

Wow, he sounded so good in 2012, those early Follow Me performances were tremendous. I wish he'd given SFA and CoD a go on that tour.

I've not been keeping up with his voice recently, has there been any improvement?

He was superb the whole tour, damn :(

Wow, he sounded so good in 2012, those early Follow Me performances were tremendous. I wish he'd given SFA and CoD a go on that tour.

I've not been keeping up with his voice recently, has there been any improvement?

From what I've heard (which is very little) he has improved slightly.

Lowered to A4s live. (Wouldn't say they look easy though, he gets quite red :LOL: )

But yeah the performances were amazing all around. Just pointed to Follow Me because it's comparable to Dead Inside with similar notes (G4s and G#4s), only Follow Me has more of them.

Yeah, the "I need your love"-part in Madness makes the whole song for me. As said above, there are a few utterly amazing TV performances of it.

The one from Jools Holland sticks out the most for me:

Also the first performance of it from a Swedish show. He was really pushing himself:

Nailed the French one as well:

Now look ... oh my:

Edited by ChampenJacob

Cash.

Wouldn't it be more profitable to do 3-4k venues without the stage get up, and not do a baby sized tour here, though?

I've always suspected the "we make no money" in the US thing was a bit exaggerated, but it's likely got to be true this time around. Or they'd actually be doing a decent sized tour.

Regardless, I'm mostly sore about their attitude towards the crowds.

Don't take our money and then talk openly about how shit you thought we were.

People paid a lot of money to see the gig, they cared enough to do that. They fund their fancy rockstar lifestyle. Be respectful.

I think he would be able to shit himself through the first one, then it would affect the rest of the gig.

I still feel it's too much change for a year or so. :( Even if it didn't look easy for him at the time, either; nice shade of red, there.