Haha, people are actually arguing about where the band throws stuff... I'm dead.

Makes a change from setlist arguments I guess.

I thought we were talking more about used picks and harmonicas... but yes. And I wouldn't have any use for it, anyways (about the guitar.)

I doubt they let anyone keep it.

If the guitar survived the fall in one piece, of course.

One thing I do have to say, looking at videos and pictures, it's weird as hell to see the crowd behind the band on both sides. Distracting, even. Probably different in person, but too many places to look/people to follow, and then staring at other people across the stage is weird.

I was thinking the same thing before seeing U2 last summer on their I&E tour. I wondered if the in-the-round set-up with a semi-transparent video screen bisecting the arena would be strange. Really though, once the show started you tend to pay attention to the band, the lights, the video etc. I pretty much forgot about the other half of the crowd until the house lights came up.

Of course, U2's stage set-up was completely different with a main stage at one end of the arena, and the long catwalk and video screen leading to a secondary stage at the other end. Muse's main stage is, of course, right in the middle. I guess I'll know in a week how Muse pulls it all off compared to U2. Unfortunately, I expect to be seeing Muse in a half-full Joe Louis Arena instead of a completely sold-out United Center. Score one for U2 right off the top.

I was thinking the same thing before seeing U2 last summer on their I&E tour. I wondered if the in-the-round set-up with a semi-transparent video screen bisecting the arena would be strange. Really though, once the show started you tend to pay attention to the band, the lights, the video etc. I pretty much forgot about the other half of the crowd until the house lights came up.

Of course, U2's stage set-up was completely different with a main stage at one end of the arena, and the long catwalk and video screen leading to a secondary stage at the other end. Muse's main stage is, of course, right in the middle. I guess I'll know in a week how Muse pulls it all off compared to U2. Unfortunately, I expect to be seeing Muse in a half-full Joe Louis Arena instead of a completely sold-out United Center. Score one for U2 right off the top.

Except the difference is that at a U2 show you have to hear songs post-2000.

As bad as Muse has gotten recently, don't think they have a single song as assinine as Vertigo in their discography.

Except the difference is that at a U2 show you have to hear songs post-2000.

As bad as Muse has gotten recently, don't think they have a single song as assinine as Vertigo in their discography.

I won't turn this into a whole U2 vs Muse discussion because I was really just referring to the stage set-up.

However, since you mentioned it, the U2 concert that I saw had 14 songs from 2000 or earlier representing 7 different albums of that era. That number is almost equal to Muse's entire set list and doesn't count the 10 post-2000 songs that U2 played including most of their new album. One can debate the merits of old U2 vs new U2 but you can't deny that their set list appealed to all of their fan base.

Vertigo or no Vertigo, Muse can't say the same.

I won't turn this into a whole U2 vs Muse discussion because I was really just referring to the stage set-up.

However, since you mentioned it, the U2 concert that I saw had 14 songs from 2000 or earlier representing 7 different albums of that era. That number is almost equal to Muse's entire set list and doesn't count the 10 post-2000 songs that U2 played including most of their new album. One can debate the merits of old U2 vs new U2 but you can't deny that their set list appealed to all of their fan base.

Vertigo or no Vertigo, Muse can't say the same.

Wait...are we implying that Muse should try to be more like U2?

how has it come to this

how has it come to this

Muse is already trying to be more like U2. They're just picking the wrong aspects to mimic.

Nobody wants Matt to become The Fly but we wouldn't mind a 24-song set that spans their whole discography.

Not necessarily more like U2, just... more like a band who plays sets that cater to their whole fanbase. Tbh, U2's Innocence & Experience sets got a bit stale and samey towards the end of the tour from what I've seen, but at least they played a decent length set with a few old non-singles/fan-favourites thrown in (Bad, 40, The Electric Co etc.)

Muse is already trying to be more like U2. They're just picking the wrong aspects to mimic.

Not necessarily more like U2, just... more like a band who plays sets that cater to their whole fanbase.

I know, I'm only joking :chuckle:

I don't even wanna imagine how much better these sets would look with 24 songs. Little-to-no rotation (though it's always nice and easy enough to do) would be fine if they played that many songs and hit a decent balance imo.

It's mainly just the length of the set that gets me down. It feels, well, disrespectful for a band with seven albums.

Even if they added a couple of songs, and it was just more "staples" like SS, I'd still feel better about it.

Also... didn't they have a whole stage gimmick exclusive to Revolt...? Makes it seem odd to drop it entirely.

Seeing that sort of made my day.

The inflatable 'drone' that flies around (usually during Reapers iirc?) and looks suspiciously like a giant butt plug/dildo. Or Thunderbird 2, whatever floats your boat.

tbf, military stuff is pretty phallic anyways. I always thought that was intentional.