So I decided to conduct a little experiment today.

Made a playlist for the car ride full of a mixture of songs that most board members don't wanna hear at a gig/the songs they say are played for casual muse fans and a couple of songs they feel they only play for the "hardcore minority" and played it to my girlfriend who only has Psycho, Uprising and Madness on her phone and is the definition of a 'casual muse fan.' These were her reactions.

Undisclosed Desires - Ohhhh I really like this one you know I like this one!

Guiding Light - oh no

Resistance - This intro goes on a while doesn't it. When does he start singing? *cue 'is our secret safe'* Oh god I wish he hadn't NEXT

Neutron Star Collision - *laughs* what the hell is this

Hysteria (because it's being rotated with Resistance) - Yeah I like this one better

Feeling Good - Why I don't like this at all

Revolt - This one is fun I like this

Starlight - eh, I don't mind it but it's kinda lame (this surprised me)

I Belong to You - uhhhhh no

Aftermath - I don't dislike it but I've heard you play better ones to me

Reapers - This is cool I really like this one

The Handler - This is my favourite so far I really like his voice

Citizen Erased - Like... It's good... but I don't really like it (she skipped it :stunned: )

Assassin - This has a really long intro too but it's much better (than Resistance) but I don't really like it that much (she skipped it too :stunned: )

Bliss - I've heard this one I like it (gets to Matt's falsetto - I played her the Mayan one) oooo this is cool i like it

Map of the Problematique - This is your favourite right? I like it too it's really cool with the effects

So basically what I got from this is that while they may be justified slightly by saying Assassin and Citizen Erased etc aren't liked as much by the majority of 'casual muse fans' - casual muse fans still dislike Resistance, Guiding Light and some of them don't even like Starlight.

She preferred Bliss, Hysteria, Reapers to the rest and she also ended up enjoying The Handler and Map of the Problematique - this is a girl who loves listening to Top 40 music constantly as well. So like c'mon Muse, get your shit together and play at least one song for the older fans because chances are casual fans will enjoy the spectacle much more than some of the less appealing ones.

PROPER SCIENCE FTW

post this to.Muse asap.

So I decided to conduct a little experiment today.

Made a playlist for the car ride full of a mixture of songs that most board members don't wanna hear at a gig/the songs they say are played for casual muse fans and a couple of songs they feel they only play for the "hardcore minority" and played it to my girlfriend who only has Psycho, Uprising and Madness on her phone and is the definition of a 'casual muse fan.' These were her reactions.

Undisclosed Desires - Ohhhh I really like this one you know I like this one!

Guiding Light - oh no

Resistance - This intro goes on a while doesn't it. When does he start singing? *cue 'is our secret safe'* Oh god I wish he hadn't NEXT

Neutron Star Collision - *laughs* what the hell is this

Hysteria (because it's being rotated with Resistance) - Yeah I like this one better

Feeling Good - Why I don't like this at all

Revolt - This one is fun I like this

Starlight - eh, I don't mind it but it's kinda lame (this surprised me)

I Belong to You - uhhhhh no

Aftermath - I don't dislike it but I've heard you play better ones to me

Reapers - This is cool I really like this one

The Handler - This is my favourite so far I really like his voice

Citizen Erased - Like... It's good... but I don't really like it (she skipped it :stunned: )

Assassin - This has a really long intro too but it's much better (than Resistance) but I don't really like it that much (she skipped it too :stunned: )

Bliss - I've heard this one I like it (gets to Matt's falsetto - I played her the Mayan one) oooo this is cool i like it

Map of the Problematique - This is your favourite right? I like it too it's really cool with the effects

So basically what I got from this is that while they may be justified slightly by saying Assassin and Citizen Erased etc aren't liked as much by the majority of 'casual muse fans' - casual muse fans still dislike Resistance, Guiding Light and some of them don't even like Starlight.

She preferred Bliss, Hysteria, Reapers to the rest and she also ended up enjoying The Handler and Map of the Problematique - this is a girl who loves listening to Top 40 music constantly as well. So like c'mon Muse, get your shit together and play at least one song for the older fans because chances are casual fans will enjoy the spectacle much more than some of the less appealing ones.

I know someone who claimed to like Muse on the basis of Follow Me and Undisclosed Desires. Having heard most of their songs now the verdict is: 'Starlight is so boring' 'Resistance was a single? What the fuck?' 'Michael Buble's version is so much better', 'Fuck off Twilight!' 'Why don't they play Sunburn anymore?'

n needs to be at least 30 to make any inferences.

I conducted a similar experiment at Glastonbury 2010. Lots of people chatted in the run from Guiding Light to TIRO.....

Nope nope! that'll do, jumping to conclusions is also FTW :awesome:

Hey wait which one did Buble cover?! I like his voice lol

It was sad to hear about how they reacted to seeing a Hyper Music sign at one of the recent gigs. Even just a few months ago, they probably would've played it. I guess that's what you sacrifice when you go for a heavily scripted and rigid production like this though. Makes me wonder if there's even any point trying to meet them again and request a song or two next year.

It's kind of ironic imo. They went for a 360 stage and brought in these gimmicks like Matt dropping guitar and whatnot to try to have more interaction and intimacy with the crowd but, to me, it makes the disconnect seem bigger than ever.

Edited by Jobby

It was sad to hear about how they reacted to seeing a Hyper Music sign at one of the recent gigs. Even just a few months ago, they probably would've played it. I guess that's what you sacrifice when you go for a heavily scripted and rigid production like this though. Makes me wonder if there's even any point trying to meet them again and request a song or two next year.

It's kind of ironic imo. They went for a 360 stage and bring in these gimmicks like Matt dropping guitar and whatnot to try to have more interaction and intimacy with the crowd but, to me, it makes the disconnect seem bigger than ever.

I held a fucking UNO sign in Hong Kong. Matt saw and refused to play it for whatever reason.

I held a fucking UNO sign in Hong Kong. Matt saw and refused to play it for whatever reason.

Weird, they've had a really good track record with that stuff since TR Tour, especially this year :erm: Did he say anything?

I remember he refused to play Showbiz at Manchester Academy when we chanted for it but that was because they hadn't rehearsed it and couldn't remember it off-the-cuff.

If you're going to hold up signs, do it for something regularly rehearsed/played, or else do a sign saying "____ for tomorrow/night 3" or something.

Don't expect a song that hasn't been played in several months to show up spontaneously in front of a huge arena

Oh yeah, like I said, I'm not expecting them to be able to spontaneously play stuff like that with a production like the one they're touring atm. Thing is, on the T2L tour Matt would usually talk to people with signs and at least try to arrange something for a future gig or the next night.

With the Hyper Music sign, he (or whoever saw it) apparently just laughed and walked away.

Maybe, just maybe, they can't play every single song that's requested? :p

To be fair, I can't think of any other time in recent memory that they've refused to play a request without giving some kind of reason for it.

Edited by Jobby

With a sign of "Fucking Uno", Matt probably thought: "This guy hates Uno, we better not play it here".

Good work, pal, you ruined the show for everybody.