Do you ever not bitch? All you do is bitch and complain. Just curious. Lots of bitching. You just seem like a miserable human being online.

To be fair, he's justified in bitching. The West Coast has gotten screwed on two tours now. Meanwhile Europe is going to be different structurally? I'm sick of this systematic hatred of the US where they seem to think the fans aren't worth playing a song or two for here

There's enough white knighting and sympathizers embedded deeply in the asses of the band as is. I'm glad to see an opposing view after seeing people defend Sacramento, Portland and LA 1/2

I've met European fans and I've met fans from the United States and often the US ones are even more hardcore. Makes sense considering public transit is basically non existent and if it does, it's slow and expensive, lodging is absolutely insane and people are driving 12 hours from show to show. My point being it's much easier to be a fan in Europe than it is here so this second class gig nonsense is unacceptable and doesn't respect the audience at all.

^Metronome basically. Something some musicians use (particularly drummers) in their ear pieces to keep on time and to make things match up exactly with any production (video,pyro,etc.) - I'm not sure how this would entirely affect the audience, as it wouldn't be audible. And this probably isn't the first tour Muse have used click tracks.

Pretty sure the bootleg recording from band member's earpieces of the Wembley 2010 gigs had clicks.

I'm not sure how this would entirely affect the audience, as it wouldn't be audible.

Some older songs lose their live spontaneity and energy when played to a metronome, especially when they set the metronome to a tempo much lower than early performances.

New Born is a big offender, compare these:

To be fair, he's justified in bitching. The West Coast has gotten screwed on two tours now. Meanwhile Europe is going to be different structurally? I'm sick of this systematic hatred of the US where they seem to think the fans aren't worth playing a song or two for here

There's enough white knighting and sympathizers embedded deeply in the asses of the band as is. I'm glad to see an opposing view after seeing people defend Sacramento, Portland and LA 1/2

I've met European fans and I've met fans from the United States and often the US ones are even more hardcore. Makes sense considering public transit is basically non existent and if it does, it's slow and expensive, lodging is absolutely insane and people are driving 12 hours from show to show. My point being it's much easier to be a fan in Europe than it is here so this second class gig nonsense is unacceptable and doesn't respect the audience at all.

All of this, although being Italian, really baffles me. Why shouldn't they give an equal treatment to all of their fans attending their gigs because of a stupid "prejudice" against crowds in a certain world area?

All of this, although being Italian, really baffles me. Why shouldn't they give an equal treatment to all of their fans attending their gigs because of a stupid "prejudice" against crowds in a certain world area?

Stereotyping that US is 'commercial' with 'short attention spans'.

Bands do it a lot in the sense that they say something such as 'oh our heavier stuff sold better in country x so we'll probably play some of that there'

Bands do it a lot in the sense that they say something such as 'oh our heavier stuff sold better in country x so we'll probably play some of that there'

Also laziness/apathy.

There was no reason they couldn't keep doing stuff like rotating CE and Bliss in with PIB but gave up because they presumably thought 'well, if the crowd isn't gonna jump around then why bother'.

She.

Good point nevertheless

It's not a stereotype. It's true. US has other music genres distracting potential concert-goers now, like country & hip-hop. Rock, especially hard rock, has been pushed down to minor niche status. Name an up & coming real rock band that can fill an arena now?- can't think of one. Lots of legacy bands, but no new superstars. So Muse delivers to their public. Can't fault them there.

And with that said...

1) It's a crying shame that they are considering dropping Reapers. Being a new song, can't expect restless newbies to catch on immediately, but it's a killer song live! Plus if they wanna look at it from a business point of view, Reapers is the current US single, cracking the top 20 today in Active Rock.

2) Add in at least 2 songs. 17 songs is unacceptable- if they took the time & money to bring in that huge stage production, at least make it worth the while! Throw the hardcores a bone with a rarity (for US that's CE or Bliss) & maybe another piano song.

Also laziness/apathy.

There was no reason they couldn't keep doing stuff like rotating CE and Bliss in with PIB but gave up because they presumably thought 'well, if the crowd isn't gonna jump around then why bother'.

Biffy Clyro continue to play Jaggy Snake to arenas full of people that had no idea a guitar could make such noise :LOL:

If the poppiest songs in the set were Supermassive/Uprising/Mercy then the heavier stuff wouldn't seem so out of place but they seem to be marketing themselves on UD/Resistance/Madness type stuff

It's not a stereotype. It's true. US has other music genres distracting potential concert-goers now, like country & hip-hop. Rock, especially hard rock, has been pushed down to minor niche status. Name an up & coming real rock band that can fill an arena now?- can't think of one. Lots of legacy bands, but no new superstars. So Muse delivers to their public. Can't fault them there.

And with that said...

1) It's a crying shame that they are considering dropping Reapers. Being a new song, can't expect restless newbies to catch on immediately, but it's a killer song live! Plus if they wanna look at it from a business point of view, Reapers is the current US single, cracking the top 20 today in Active Rock.

2) Add in at least 2 songs. 17 songs is unacceptable- if they took the time & money to bring in that huge stage production, at least make it worth the while! Throw the hardcores a bone with a rarity (for US that's CE or Bliss) & maybe another piano song.

Your first paragraph could easily be about the UK though. There's very few arena type-bands coming through now. Our concert scene seems to be Adele, Coldplay and Ed Sheeran...

The second paragraph could just be the arguments from The Resistance Tour all over again, short sets, all the singles (though back then New Born, Map and Stockholm were still regulars). MK Ultra largely ignored for large sections of the tour despite being picked out by fans and critics alike as the best song on the album.

And with that said...

yeah i see your point...i'm going to the show and boston and a ton of the upper deck still has not been sold so im hoping it turns out to b a decent crowd

I live in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Muse have never come closer than a 10 hour drive and I will be seeing them or a 7th time next month....after another 10 hour drive.

I even saw them in Dallas during the Resistance tour.

I have been listening to Muse ever since Absolution and I prefer their earlier work.

I would love to get some older songs.

I am fucking sick of Starlight.

I've said, if the original sets had stayed, I'd have been ok. It's not ideal for ME, but the chance to see CE or Bliss would have been a dream. AP would have been fine.

Now we're down to those being gone (crossed out) and two SINGLES from the new album being rotated.

Because it wasn't initially like this, it's hard to not feel slighted. Like they were mad about the crowds and said fuck it.

We're asking for, literally, 1-2 nods for fans who've stuck around. It's hardly unreasonable. They WERE doing it.

I've complained about the stage, yeah, and it's led to a tiny tour, rescheduled gigs, and not a single gig without technical difficulties.

It breaks up the energy of the crowd by spreading them thin, and having their backs to them. When apparently the reactions are so important to them.

But what enrages me is the combo of the band and crew being derogatory about the crowd, which makes the devolving set list seem like an intentional slight, as well with the unacceptably short set, and their complete openness to fans about non-US sets being better.

We'll play Map outside the US, the set will be way different outside the US, we'll play the same sets in the US every night.

Thousands of people spent $60-250 on tickets per night. Many hundreds more on travel. They cared enough to shell out for the gig, and the band judges them poorly?

Yeah, I'm really mad. But, before that I was heartbroken. Art means things to people; being slighted by the artists can be rough to take. That's also my theory on a lot of the "white nights" - they don't want to face the negative, or sully something they care about.

Edited by SerpentSatellite

You guys should've went to the Mayan show, that was fucking awesome!

I would say maybe they should have offered more fans tickets to the Mayan, no?

It's not like we didn't try.

I put in a $1000 bid for one, and it still wasn't enough.

Still kind of hurtful, even after all this time.

I will admit to sobbing a bit trying to watch the video. Possibly a lot.

I know Muse are shit atm but I think you're underestimating the Europe bias. If I were to roughly guess, taking into account the past + how sets looked before America + things already said by the band:

To come back: Map (in rotation), Bliss (in rotation), CE (by request), AP, Reapers (staple again), Stockholm, SFA (in rotation), Sunburn (once or twice), B&H (once or twice), New Born (once or twice), Fury (by request), Dead Star (by request), Assassin (by request), Muscle Museum (by request).

To go away/get played less: Feeling Good, Resistance (back to rotation), Revolt (rotated with Defector), Madness (rotated with UD).

Guessing at some of the requests, obviously, particularly not-so-confident on MM and Assassin but you never know. Showbiz was apparently promised to be played in London a few months ago (trying to keep it alive :supersad:) so that's possible but I doubt it'll come through tbh.

i'm not underestimating the 'europe bias.'

i initially said that roughly four slots of crap would be swapped with material that's better.

i am throwing the setlists in europe prior to the drones tour right out the window. apples and oranges. indeed -- the stage production is, without any question whatsoever, the pervading, driving factor in what gets played on this tour -- and i don't give a rat's ass in what given country they happen to be playing.

that said, your suggestions for song rotations seem reasonable/likely.

nevertheless, i remain firm -- the bulk of the existing setlists will not change aside from "improvement" to about four rotation slots. they will not make the setlists longer by any appreciable amount of time, so the issue is what gets swapped -- not added.

there will be about seven/eight drones songs played, plus SMBH, starlight, a madness/UD pick 'em, and KOC. add to that perhaps even TIRO. that leaves (a max of) four slots for better material to be injected.

So you're really not going to the gig you paid for, SerpentSatellite? :(

I don't understand either why they treat the US that much differently. That's a complaint I do agree with.

Due to some oddness that still baffles me, it's actually two tickets, to TWO gigs, too. :facepalm:

If it was local, I'd be "that guy" and go, for sure; maybe enjoy Mercy, and pray for Revolt. Maybe more, who knows.

It's just so damn far away to be dragging two people to be disappointed. And Philly in the winter isn't much choice of vacation spot.

At this stage, as my bf bought an airfare/hotel package before I told him not to, we could take the penalty, and swap the flights to somewhere for a nice vacation, where we could both enjoy ourselves, instead of him trying to do something nice for me, and my having to pretend I wasn't upset the whole time. :chuckle: We've been talking about going to New York, or out west the see the ocean.

I'd still lose like $400, total.

If it was just a setlist that isn't to my liking, I'd feel better, but not sure I could really enjoy myself thinking about how the band regards us. Or knowing if I'd manned up and called in to work, I could have seen Bliss or CE which would have made me very happy. (Or Revolt.)

And if I'm being truthful, I'm barely healthy enough to make it, and any setbacks with technical difficulties waiting outside for god knows how long would probably mean I'd have to leave.