If you're one for the kit lens, consider upgrading to a 17-55 2.8, you won't regret it. It's basically an L lens for crop frame.

guhhhhhh :supersad:

I lowered my craigslist price for the 24-105 and someone just offered their 70-200mm f/4 + $100 to trade. :eek: I want to give the 24-105 a second chance but it's been so gloomy here. haven't found the right time to shoot. I'm sure I could've avoided this mess if I had just bought the 17-55. i've been suffering from chronic buyer's remorse for the past few weeks :LOL:

Edited by polythenelucy

Can someone give me some guidelines on aperture and shutter speed for handheld in daylight, if I want as much depth of field as possible - the night shooting tips really helped, but I'm not sure how much I can get away with in daylight - just noticed with my aperture settings still on the night shooting options, my daytime pictures aren't coming out as well as I would ideally like when I zoom right in, but if I increase the depth of field, I don't know how far I can go before shutter speed will mean it starts to get blurry without a tripod. Ideas?

yeah you can push shutter speeds during the day, around 1/100 - 1/160 is good, it is also dependent on your iso (higher iso, the quicker shutter speed you can use) which itself is dependent on the ambient light you have available; bright day? iso 100. grey and cloudy? iso 600 - ish. that's not set in stone obviously, play around a bit and see what works for you, eventually you'll just be able to look at the light you have and settings will start coming to mind.

as for aperture, if i want as much in focus as possible i go by the saying "f/8 and be there". meaning you can't really go wrong with f/8, it's one of the sharpest apertures on most lenses and doesn't interfere with shutter speed that much (the higher the f stop the slower you'll need your shutter speed to allow enough light to get through). and you'll get everything in focus. that and f/11.

i should try harder not to ramble on. or post more images to make up for it. so here's a fun one from a shoot this week. i've been enamoured with Terry Richardson recently. also, i should get a rotating flash bracket to eliminate that shadow when shooting vertically. anybody have experience with one?

10994813416_d388a448f7_c.jpg

Fortuna as Terry by SnipingForPacifists, on Flickr

Thanks! :)

I may as well post up a couple of others while I'm here although they're much simpler than the last one obviously, haha!

FushimiInariTaishaKy14D0to28thOctober2013_zpsd8832d86.jpg

MountFujiKawaguchiko13thNovember2013_zps2e1ce71c.jpg

I am a mountain, I am the sea, etc, etc, etc...

Edited by Bs

That first one is also brilliant! Nice shots BS

Cheers. Here's a few more from some gardens I've been to mostly in the past week.

Saih14D0jiKy14D0to21stNovember2013_zps892c7205.jpg

T14D0jiKy14D0to19thNovember2013_zpsb6f438cb.jpg

NanzenjiKy14D0to20thNovember2013_zps834906f2.jpg

Unry16B0inKy14D0to6thNovember2013_zpsdd16ae79.jpg

I've still got a lot to sort through but I'll try and get some more up soon.

Edited by Bs

In fact, I'll just throw all the ones I've had time to sort out so far into one big bumper post chronologically. I'll get more done as soon as I have time obviously.

[HIDDEN=October + November]

HimalayanMountains30thSeptember2013_zpsabcf60d4.jpg

GinkakujiKy14D0to6thOctober2013_zpsf061abb4.jpg

KinkakujiKy14D0to10thOctober2013_zps33f977f6.jpg

KiyomizuderaKy14D0to11thOctober2013_zpsd9e99b94.jpg

14C0sakaCastle14C0saka17thOctober2013_zps6d584605.jpg

FushimiInariTaishaKy14D0to28thOctober2013_zpsd8832d86.jpg

AmanohashidateMiyazu2ndNovember2013_zps4865a77c.jpg

Unry16B0inKy14D0to6thNovember2013_zpsdd16ae79.jpg

MountFujiKawaguchiko13thNovember2013_zps2e1ce71c.jpg

T14D0jiKy14D0to19thNovember2013_zpsb6f438cb.jpg

NanzenjiKy14D0to20thNovember2013_zps834906f2.jpg

Saih14D0jiKy14D0to21stNovember2013_zps892c7205.jpg

Tenry16B0jiKy14D0to22ndNovember2013_zps39150bfd.jpg

KiyomizuderaKy14D0to22ndNovember2013_zps5a46f44b.jpg

NinnajiKy14D0to24thNovember2013_zps5e920c05.jpg

[/HIDDEN]

Some are better than others obviously as it's a mix of different things in one place, and also trying to document places I've been, but it'll save me having to post up those a few at a time if I just throw them all in now, haha!

Quick question about lenses. My kit lens has always had a very small amount of friction when adjusting the zoom, which I assumed was normal. The past few weeks I'd been hearing a kind of clunking sound inside somewhere shifting between wideangle and zoom, and I wondered if something might be broken or if all the dust was getting inside too much or something as it has been getting a bit dusty and dirty with such extensive use since I came to Japan. Anyway, since today, both of the above cases are gone completely - it's adjusting smoother and faster than it ever did, no friction or noise at all - I'd assume this is a good thing but it's not been like that up to now. Is all of this normal or is there anything I need to worry about? The original friction and how it is now can be compared to when you first get a Whammy pedal to when it's been broken in properly I suppose. The clunking inside I don't know how else to describe but it only started a week or so ago and it's stopped today.

Wow nice pictures Bs :eek:

I plan to buy to buy a good camera (well, I mean compared to my smartphone...). I'll travel a lot for my studies next year, and I think it's time to buy something more serious. Plus it's Christmas soon :D

So if you guys could advise me in my choice of a camera, I would really appreciate that. I took a look at the different type of camera (Reflex, Hybrid etc), there are a lot of models, brands, at different prices. I'm a bit (completely ?) lost.

I'm an amateur / beginner, whatever you call it. Don't need a professional £1000 camera :D

Thanks !

• 2 weeks later...

Ah I find the sample pictures show that it's a nice effect but the stuff in focus isn't crispy enough. It also reminds me of lens baby stuff. But again I'm put off by lens baby because it's not sharp enough in the right spots.

Bought the bf and myself the 50mm f1.8 for Xmas. Very excited to have a play with it!! :happy:

Yay yay good choice.

Regarding film, if you don't have a built in light meter then get one. But I find I love shooting in film, the quality and feel of film has its own character compared to digital that can be quite sterile at times.