Just do some quality photo editorial work. As years go by you'll learn to trash so much more photos in order to showcase your best work and to save time and resources.

Some lightroom could really crank up these shots! Contact me on Facebook if you ever want to ask questions.

I know how to use Lightroom, guys, but thanks, haha! I was just throwing these up more as snapshots that made me laugh more than anything. I need to upload some of my proper favourite pictures when I have time but I just haven't yet. I have gone a bit overboard on the post processing in the past though, so I do try and keep things quite subtle now. Once winter comes and I have more reasons to not go out every day taking hundreds more, I'll try and put some of my favourites through some enhancing though. Just haven't had time so far, haha! I seem to remember the last time I posted edited pictures on the Muse board though, I got pages of responses asking about the white balance on my camera, so people don't always get it, haha!

I know how to use Lightroom, guys, but thanks, haha! I was just throwing these up more as snapshots that made me laugh more than anything. I need to upload some of my proper favourite pictures when I have time but I just haven't yet. I have gone a bit overboard on the post processing in the past though, so I do try and keep things quite subtle now. Once winter comes and I have more reasons to not go out every day taking hundreds more, I'll try and put some of my favourites through some enhancing though. Just haven't had time so far, haha! I seem to remember the last time I posted edited pictures on the Muse board though, I got pages of responses asking about the white balance on my camera, so people don't always get it, haha!

Haha i can't remember whether it was white balance or saturation that was the key. I think someone insinuated your white balance being off when all you did was desaturate it a bit. Good times.

But yeah. Be more ruthless with your shots and delete more. I just thought knowing you and your guitar specs you'd be a bit of a hoarder. I usually come back from a gig with 220 shots and kill it down to 30 odd and only submit 10-17. Still think it's overkill. Muse gigs are worst

Yeah, that's pretty much what happened. :facepalm:

And yep, I do try to go through all the photos I've taken after and cut them down as much as I can - it's a bit different here obviously though because I'm also trying to document as much of my Japanese experience as possible in addition to taking the photos that I know will be some of my favourites, so there's a balance there that means I'm taking a lot of extra photos and stuff. There's so many places to go though so I'm always trying to go to as many as possible at the moment. Obviously I have a selection of my favourites set aside and so on.

Yeah, that's pretty much what happened. :facepalm:

And yep, I do try to go through all the photos I've taken after and cut them down as much as I can - it's a bit different here obviously though because I'm also trying to document as much of my Japanese experience as possible in addition to taking the photos that I know will be some of my favourites, so there's a balance there that means I'm taking a lot of extra photos and stuff. There's so many places to go though so I'm always trying to go to as many as possible at the moment. Obviously I have a selection of my favourites set aside and so on.

Yeah when there's a lot of things to shoot it gets difficult, means you'll need to be extra picky to make sure you don't overload. Tough job

But yeah. Be more ruthless with your shots and delete more. I just thought knowing you and your guitar specs you'd be a bit of a hoarder. I usually come back from a gig with 220 shots and kill it down to 30 odd and only submit 10-17. Still think it's overkill. Muse gigs are worst

i've been wondering how much is too much. one of the official Reading Fest photographers said he came home with 300 photos... and one photographer i know said she got 50 shots out of 4 hour shoot. supposedly a big feat for her, but she is a fashion photographer. meanwhile I took close to 1000 photos just from Paul McCartney's performance. :erm: at all other gigs excluding Muse, 250 is pretty standard for me. I get quite trigger happy. :$

_DSC0116_zps15bb8877.jpg

oh I just noticed that crane!! nice! gardens in general are lovely to photograph.

i've been wondering how much is too much. one of the official Reading Fest photographers said he came home with 300 photos... and one photographer i know said she got 50 shots out of 4 hour shoot. supposedly a big feat for her, but she is a fashion photographer. meanwhile I took close to 1000 photos just from Paul McCartney's performance. :erm: at all other gigs excluding Muse, 250 is pretty standard for me. I get quite trigger happy. :$

oh I just noticed that crane!! nice! gardens in general are lovely to photograph.

Ha 300 for a festival is pretty small. For gigs you do need to shoot lots to safeguard yourself, however unless you know a publication that will upload 300 photos, you should downsize your photos when you're back to obviously get ride of samey and blurry shots

When it comes to festivals, I try to limit myself to 50 shots per band, still leaving me with at least 1000 photos to go through. Solo gigs have no real limit for me, but anything over 250 is just too much work for me after showing. I try to plan my shots as much as possible. Front singer, guitar player, bass player and then drummer. After that wide angle if possible. It's tricky to do in just three songs.

When it comes to festivals, I try to limit myself to 50 shots per band, still leaving me with at least 1000 photos to go through. Solo gigs have no real limit for me, but anything over 250 is just too much work for me after showing. I try to plan my shots as much as possible. Front singer, guitar player, bass player and then drummer. After that wide angle if possible. It's tricky to do in just three songs.

oh yeah i forgot about the three song limit. I just do some minor "pre-planning" before the gig starts, like checking for a good vantage point as I'm walking to the front of the pit. I get a feel for lighting and energy and all that when the gig starts. no real rush to get the money shot since I don't have a time limit. I guess that's one advantage i have.

does anyone have experience with third party lenses? Rokinon? Sigma? I feel like a lot of these lenses are manual focus only, which isn't too bad but I can't always tell if my images are in focus. my glasses need replacing. :nerd:

Edited by polythenelucy

Just looking through a selection of my photos from before the last few years - it's interesting to look at the pictures that I used to consider among my best and notice I don't really care that much about most of them now - not that they're bad, just that my tastes have become more refined stylistically I suppose, and I pay a bit more attention to the little details now, and so on. Hopefully that means I've improved somewhat, but it'll be interesting to look back to now again in another 5-10 years and see how much I rate my current self looking back, haha! I might post up a selection of some of my older ones that still make their way into my favourites and see what people think.

Edit ~ Haha, I just found this picture from 5 years ago, and it seems like a lot longer - I'd forgotten it existed to be honest. Sorry for the quality as it's a scan from a film print, but I think I sat there for about an hour waiting for it to do that, haha!

05_zpsc39241eb.jpg

Edited by Bs

I assume you set up the correction in your viewfinder (the +- wheel that's there) correctly?

oh. lol I forgot that feature. thanks for the reminder!

i'm not too impressed by the 24-105mm so far (max I use is 60mm. I can go 105mm if I really tried). I haven't used it at an event yet so maybe I'll try it out for another week to see if it's worth keeping. kind of disappointed. :(

there's a slight price drop on the 85mm f/1.8 on Amazon but I used up my discount code already. :supersad:

Just looking through a selection of my photos from before the last few years - it's interesting to look at the pictures that I used to consider among my best and notice I don't really care that much about most of them now - not that they're bad, just that my tastes have become more refined stylistically I suppose, and I pay a bit more attention to the little details now, and so on. Hopefully that means I've improved somewhat, but it'll be interesting to look back to now again in another 5-10 years and see how much I rate my current self looking back, haha! I might post up a selection of some of my older ones that still make their way into my favourites and see what people think.

I think about this whenever I look at my old Flickr photos. especially my "favorites" set. Haha I hope I'll be thinking the same thing about my current "best" photos within the next few years.

oh yeah i forgot about the three song limit. I just do some minor "pre-planning" before the gig starts, like checking for a good vantage point as I'm walking to the front of the pit. I get a feel for lighting and energy and all that when the gig starts. no real rush to get the money shot since I don't have a time limit. I guess that's one advantage i have.

does anyone have experience with third party lenses? Rokinon? Sigma? I feel like a lot of these lenses are manual focus only, which isn't too bad but I can't always tell if my images are in focus. my glasses need replacing. :nerd:

main preplanning i occasionally do (depends if i'm bothered or not) is look up previous shows they played and check the photos out on that so you know where people are positioned. study the photos and make my ones better.

I wouldn't be surprised if you got rid of the 24-105, if you can find a nice deal for a 24-70: do it!

I also try to check setlists to see if there are songs that are usually the first 3, and see what the light is. Then, I try to see if there's any acting they do so I can position accordingly.

I got a fabulous Nikon in the end of September and named it Charlie. :happy: I have so much to learn still, basically I can just point at shoot. I wish I would've played more with my old film Nikon when I was a kid. :LOL:

Last week's pictures:

e026-4.jpg

the boat looks amazing!! :eek: