It is a kingfisher. I already knew, but I wasn't sure what type. Its a forest kingfisher, my bird book says so. And:

The Forest Kingfisher was first described by the naturalists Sir William Jardine and Prideaux John Selby in 1830. It was known for many years by its old scientific name of Halcyon macleayi before being transferred to the genus Todiramphus. Two subspecies are recognised:

H. m. macleayi, the nominate subspecies, is found across the Top End eastwards to the Gulf of Carpentaria.

H. m. incinctus, described by John Gould, has a greener tinge to its back and is slightly larger. It is found down the east coast of Australia

There's one kingfisher that comes to our place a few times a year, you're lucky if you get to see them because we live very remote. :happy:

Got a job for I Am VIP today! they're the people who take photos of people in night clubs and sell them keyrings/put the photos on facebook the next day. i get paid from both the bar i'm in (revolution, for the promo in general) and commission from the sales. finally, first paid photography gig! looking forward to it :D

Got a job for I Am VIP today! they're the people who take photos of people in night clubs and sell them keyrings/put the photos on facebook the next day. i get paid from both the bar i'm in (revolution, for the promo in general) and commission from the sales. finally, first paid photography gig! looking forward to it :D

rock those kungpoas at da club :)

rock those kungpoas at da club :)

i'm gonna be interested to see how they get on, a decent test of reliability. might get a spare and take it with me. oh and batteries. already ordered a battery grip and extra battery for my camera, and i have a few AA batteries around for my flash, that'd be a nightmare. i'm gonna need a bigger camera bag too.

I've had friends who have done the job before/still doing it and they seem to enjoy it. I also miss working in a bar, good memories.

Edited by adds

What are people's experiences and advice with buying cameras off ebay. Thinking about the Nikon V1 through ebay because they are sooooo much cheaper! And my friend also bought her and her sisters iphone on ebay and things work perfectly....?

haven't bought a camera from ebay before, but it should be like most other things, see if the seller is reliable, do they have a returns policy? is it an ebay shop or an individual? shops tend to be best. what country are they based in (you mightn't wanna be paying international shipping costs to return it for whatever reason). etc do they seem trustworthy basically

plus if it goes bad then you always have paypal and the dispute resolution system which help in getting your money back.

Just throwing up this picture I took yesterday. The exposure was a pain in the arse to get right, so I had to do a bit of a double exposure thing to try and balance it out. I still don't think it's perfect but it will have to do for now, until I go back there anyway, haha! Bit of lens glare too but not much I can do about that now.

_DSC0447_zps9cf3cf3c.jpg

The house in the foreground bothers me a bit.

Duly noted. I'll have it demolished right away. ;)

Started hitting up some of the temples today...

_DSC0205_zps9acb9a07.jpg

Now, where did I put my RAINBOW WING? :erm:

I was trying to get a picture showing it's reflection in the pond too but the MASSIVE carp kept fucking it up! :LOL:

Edited by Bs

haven't bought a camera from ebay before, but it should be like most other things, see if the seller is reliable, do they have a returns policy? is it an ebay shop or an individual? shops tend to be best. what country are they based in (you mightn't wanna be paying international shipping costs to return it for whatever reason). etc do they seem trustworthy basically

plus if it goes bad then you always have paypal and the dispute resolution system which help in getting your money back.

Thanks for the advice, I'm a bit nervous because I've never made big online purchases....but I think it's the best option for me at the moment.

Looking through some more of my pictures from today...

boromir_ring-11.jpg

It is a strange fate that the photos you spend minutes lining up and trying to get perfect don't necessarily turn out as good as the ones you take in a split second, sort of just in case, and without lining up the angles or composition properly or anything.

Haha, yeah, but that's kind of what my last post was about - that was the first picture I took of it, and I didn't really bother being careful with it because it was on the spur of the moment, and I knew I was going to get better ones as I got closer to it - I still got some good ones like that, but actually that first one is one of my favourite pictures I took of it, and it was just a zoom snapshot essentially, haha! I'll get some more pictures from this weekend up soon. The temples are just breathtaking.

_DSC0481_zpsc6799ecb.jpg

Edited by Bs

back from my first night as a club photog. bloody loved it. the kung-pao (YN-560 III) performed admirably, although there was about a 5-10% chance of it not firing at all. frankly i had more issues with my kit lens not focusing well in low light, i even had to stop down to f/8 most of the time (could I have lowered my iso and brought the aperture up to around 4.5/5.6? will have a play around with that in future). GASing hard now for that Sigma 18-35 1.8.

the manager at the bar also said they offer a photographer as part of a christmas party package, so if i'm free i'll get a few of those over the next few weeks. would be nice.

also, there's a nikkor 35mm 1.8G waiting for me at the post office depot place, missed the delivery today. can't wait to play around with that.

Do you have a filter on your lens? Taking that off might fix your focusing issues.

nope, no filter. i think it was just a mix of kit lens + shooting at f/8. any way of reducing flash exposure without stopping down? it was on it's lowest power setting too (1/128th)

35mm tomorrow :D woop.

i had not seen those. bloody useful too. watching that nightclub photography series now, i'm facepalming at what i missed. need a diffuser, flash exposure comp seemed to vanish from my mind, i was way too strict keeping my ISO so high and shutter speed at 1/25 when it could've easily come down a bit. all a learning curve anyway, like anything, i'll improve as time goes on. i mean my shots weren't bad, but comparing them to previous weeks by others they don't have anywhere near enough ambient.

What are people's experiences and advice with buying cameras off ebay. Thinking about the Nikon V1 through ebay because they are sooooo much cheaper! And my friend also bought her and her sisters iphone on ebay and things work perfectly....?

I bought my DSLR off eBay. i'm a frequent ebayer so maybe i place too much trust on these sellers. all i did before bidding was read the seller's ratings and everything worked out fine! still one of the best purchases I've ever made. BUT I don't think I'll buy another camera from eBay again. the warranty was void (I think?) since I bought the camera second-hand. now that I have a decent camera, I can wait for discounts from authorized dealers rather than feel like I have to buy a new camera right now. my brother has also bought all his smartphones on eBay and they've all been fine (or he knew they were broken and had to repair them).

also, some customers mention in their ratings that they got a refund or were able to return their item. that provides a little piece of mind when i'm worried something will crap out on me.

a photo for good measure :D this is what happens when you don't come earlier enough for a barrier spot :(

10027924476_2ceaa72495_z.jpg

Gary Clark Jr. @ The Wiltern by Lucy (嘉莉), on Flickr

I haven't looked at my White Lies photos yet since I know most of them ended up blurry, as I decided on using my kit lens that night :facepalm: i'm sticking to the pancake for small venues from now on