One of my pet peeves with some of the more recent photos is focus... They're somehow not very crisp...

I do like the ideas, and it reminds me of the photography challenge... but I'm not going to try to resurrect it because I suck at keeping it going :chuckle:

I use a little Kodak Playsport camcorder, so I can't do much about crispness. I'd like to get an SLR sometime, but that costs quite a bit and I'd need to buy a peli case to use it on rivers. As it is, I make do with what I've got.

178400_507350929283425_886818015_o.jpg

My friend Matt on Ogwen Bank Falls. As you can see, the Playsport isn't great with contrast, which makes things a little tricky on whitewater.

525425_391345534217299_513119451_n.jpg

Paddling off Aberystwyth's North Beach

Nice depth of field, solid focus on the leaf... doesn't quite standout enough for me though. I'm glad you didn't black and white it else it would get lost in amongst the branches so I don't know, maybe a tighter crop to the image and then a boost of saturation would fix it. Not a bad shot though :)

thank you :happy: . I regard to your suggestions, I still have to learn it because i've got the SLR since recently.

One of my pet peeves with some of the more recent photos is focus... They're somehow not very crisp...

I do like the ideas, and it reminds me of the photography challenge... but I'm not going to try to resurrect it because I suck at keeping it going :chuckle:

Photo challenge was fun! But most of the time I never got round to doing my entry :LOL:

12310948134_eb0dcb4ca8_c.jpg

Been asked by my best mate from uni to do the photography at his wedding in the summer. Need advice as to what I need to be doing. A lot of it is common sense but I also know I need a wide angle lens and a diffuser. Just wondering if I need any other gear, then what gear, then what sort of techniques for what sort of shots. GO.

Slowly but surely...

H14D0ry16B0jiKy14D0to20thFebruary2014_zps2655f007.jpg

It seems the links from my last post are dead so I'll try and get them re-uploaded at some point...

i'm intrigued by the building in the backgrounds. I sort of think I'd rather see a picture of it in focus, with out of focus blossoms in the foreground.

just to be difficult.

Been asked by my best mate from uni to do the photography at his wedding in the summer. Need advice as to what I need to be doing. A lot of it is common sense but I also know I need a wide angle lens and a diffuser. Just wondering if I need any other gear, then what gear, then what sort of techniques for what sort of shots. GO.

* find out if you're going as a guest or as ~the photographer~ -- determines how professional you should be.

* google lists of 'must-have' photos (ie rings, cake, etc) - take a list with you so you don't miss anything

* go check out the venue, find out what time of day it will be happening, pick your favourite portrait/group shot locations so you aren't arsing around on the day

* either be prepared to be bossy, or bring someone with you to call the shots. you don't want to be chasing around family members half the day or too shy to tell people what to do.

* bring a f1.8 or whatever your best one is, you'll get a lot of use out of it with the table decor, cake, & small details you want to capture.

I shot my stepsisters wedding and most of these are things I wish I'd done. So giving you recommendations based on my own mistakes. Hope it helps some!

* find out if you're going as a guest or as ~the photographer~ -- determines how professional you should be.

* google lists of 'must-have' photos (ie rings, cake, etc) - take a list with you so you don't miss anything

* go check out the venue, find out what time of day it will be happening, pick your favourite portrait/group shot locations so you aren't arsing around on the day

* either be prepared to be bossy, or bring someone with you to call the shots. you don't want to be chasing around family members half the day or too shy to tell people what to do.

* bring a f1.8 or whatever your best one is, you'll get a lot of use out of it with the table decor, cake, & small details you want to capture.

I shot my stepsisters wedding and most of these are things I wish I'd done. So giving you recommendations based on my own mistakes. Hope it helps some!

Great advice! :happy:

I do need to talk to him again to clarify what's what yeah. I think I'm a guest who's doing the photography to be honest but that doesn't mean I won't be bossy :cool:

I've made a note for the must have photos, so I'm intending to go through a tonne of wedding photography to see who does what and how and see what I can replicate. A list with me is a must I agree.

Venue - I'll have to ask the friend. It's mid afternoon in the summer, but the room is a big ceremonial hall in Liverpool and the windows don't seem too friendly to natural light so we'll see.

I'll be taking my 400D with my 50mm 1.8 and my 70-300mm lens but I'm probably going to get myself a wide angle and borrow someone's 40D so I can flit between the cameras.

Appreciate the advice :)

i'm intrigued by the building in the backgrounds.

It's the pagoda at Hōryūji near Nara in Japan. It's about 1400 years old which makes it one of the oldest surviving wooden buildings in the world. Obviously under normal circumstances that would be the subject of the photo, but I spotted that blossom, one of the first I've seen, just as I was leaving and I liked the idea of having that as the focus with the pagoda just noticeable enough in the background to spark curiosity about it. Here's a normal picture of it that I took, but I don't have one like you asked for with the blossom out of focus. I'm sure I'll get some like that when Spring really gets underway in various places though.

[HIDDEN=Picture]_DSC0069_zpsf152e4e1.jpg[/HIDDEN]

Regarding the picture in the last post that some of you were talking about, I almost always take some of the saturation out of my pictures because it brings a bit more of the form and composition and subtle details to attention. With the normal colour balance, some of those details are less noticeable, so I like to keep the colour there, but just lessen it a little to bring the shapes and so on into more focus. Obviously it's all subjective and different people I speak to have different preferences, it's just something that I tend to do, and I usually like the result, knowing it's an edited picture obviously.

Here's a couple of my snow pictures from before, as the links stopped working. I'll get some more sorted out soon hopefully.

KiyomizuderaKy14D0to14thFebruary2014_zps4e29ae49.jpg

T14D0jiKy14D0to14thFebruary2014_zps6edd7656.jpg

Edited by Bs

those are really great edits omg. what editing software do u use?

i'm intrigued by the building in the backgrounds. I sort of think I'd rather see a picture of it in focus, with out of focus blossoms in the foreground.

just to be difficult.

ooo taht would be cool