Good compo, needs more exposure to make that shot POP.

Interestingly, I did play around with some of the exposure, contrast, tone, etc, options on Lightroom but any change I made only seemed to take the drama out of the picture somehow. I'd planned to bring out the detail in the wings more by brightening them up, and maybe lightening the background a bit, but all it did was to take power away from the focus on the head that's there at the moment. That contrast of the light across the head and giving it more definition over the wings really makes the picture somehow, and I didn't want to lose the detail and emphasis on that, so I chose to keep it how it was in the end. Happy enough with it anyway - I didn't think I'd managed to get a good one when I was taking them and I was a bit frustrated about it, but I'm pleased with how that one's come out in the end.

Interestingly, I did play around with some of the exposure, contrast, tone, etc, options on Lightroom but any change I made only seemed to take the drama out of the picture somehow. I'd planned to bring out the detail in the wings more by brightening them up, and maybe lightening the background a bit, but all it did was to take power away from the focus on the head that's there at the moment. That contrast of the light across the head and giving it more definition over the wings really makes the picture somehow, and I didn't want to lose the detail and emphasis on that, so I chose to keep it how it was in the end. Happy enough with it anyway - I didn't think I'd managed to get a good one when I was taking them and I was a bit frustrated about it, but I'm pleased with how that one's come out in the end.

Did you play with the curves? Essentially bring out the background only and keep the foreground the same. Foreground exposure is perfect.

Did you play with the curves? Essentially bring out the background only and keep the foreground the same. Foreground exposure is perfect.

Hmmm, yeah, I did wonder about that. I might give it a go later. It was pretty late when I was sorting it out last time and I was too tired to try anything else with it at the time, haha.

They're beautiful!

yes, absolutely. where was that?

Ohh ahhhh

Very perty

Awesome! Especially the first-very well done! :happy:

Extended or multiple exposures?

Thanks all! This was in Tallinn with Miss T's parents :)

They're all taking in bulb mode, didn't do any layering (as I seriously have no idea how to do that properly... I have a series which I would like to merge together but I'm shit with photoshop).

Hmmm, yeah, I did wonder about that. I might give it a go later. It was pretty late when I was sorting it out last time and I was too tired to try anything else with it at the time, haha.

All about the curves man, ALL ABOUT THE CURVES.

Right now I'm revisiting 2008 photos I took and boy do I need to increase the exposure of those shots. I think the old lightroom did a shit job in noise compression back in the days so any increments in exposure would make it look horrible. Now I have a new breath of fresh air on the photos. Might upload some to show, plus you get to see 2008 photographer me rocking a 400d camera.

To be honest, I tend to edit my photos on full screen brightness to make sure I can make out the details, so if they're not viewed the same way, they can seem a bit dark sometimes. My Mt Fuji picture was similar - looking at them on full brightness I probably wouldn't change anything. I will experiment one more time on the background of the bird picture later though, but I'm not sure what I'll be able to do without affecting the balance that's already there. Mt Fuji picture in question.

1467281_10152016181234876_1460853298_n.jpg

To be honest, I tend to edit my photos on full screen brightness to make sure I can make out the details, so if they're not viewed the same way, they can seem a bit dark sometimes. My Mt Fuji picture was similar - looking at them on full brightness I probably wouldn't change anything. I will experiment one more time on the background of the bird picture later though, but I'm not sure what I'll be able to do without affecting the balance that's already there. Mt Fuji picture in question.

1467281_10152016181234876_1460853298_n.jpg

It's just a tad dark, editing in full brightness means folks with a darker brightness setting won't enjoy it. And lol facebook uploads.

And lol facebook uploads.

Yeah, I have loads to put onto Flickr at some point but I just don't have the time at the moment. Depressingly Facebook's upload resolution is better than Photobucket's, so I'm using those as temporary links to show people pictures until I can get the originals uploaded properly. I don't know what other sites are available until I can get round to sorting my Flickr account out. Needs a proper sorting through but I'm tied down with uni reports at the moment, and it's going to be that way for the rest of this month really.

Yeah, I have loads to put onto Flickr at some point but I just don't have the time at the moment. Depressingly Facebook's upload resolution is better than Photobucket's, so I'm using those as temporary links to show people pictures until I can get the originals uploaded properly. I don't know what other sites are available until I can get round to sorting my Flickr account out. Needs a proper sorting through but I'm tied down with uni reports at the moment, and it's going to be that way for the rest of this month really.

https://db.tt/48TjSa8

Get a dropbox account, on the house ;) you get extra space via this link, go on.

happy new year photography friends!! :D <3 heres to a great new year full of photos, fun and experiences :)

Probably my two favourites

beautiful! I like the second one because it reminds me of the hubble deep field photograph...so many colorful bursts of life

Extended or multiple exposures? I really need to get some more uploaded soon - in the meantime, here's a bird!

1528055_10152103213929876_17089518_n.jpg?oh=c94b4d4db87a0a8a4b7d0949a96a3d0a&oe=52C6DC3C&__gda__=1388847182_ecca313285396261ae9857edbc8c51ea

love it!! so majestic and fierce. love the angle of the wings. your mt fuji photo is stunning as well!

heres some recents that i took :) post-pro attempts at a more vintage filtered look!

11612917874_a456f581d0_z.jpg

11612924094_3611655e20_z.jpg

11613341636_5ca924aab1_z.jpg

11612572855_53eb5e9181_c.jpg

^^I had very difficult but beautiful lighting to work with here. cloudy sunset gave the sky a tan-gold hue!

My bf runs a cycling site and takes photos for it on our dslr. For the site to load quickly the images have to be around 300kb, so when we edit them we change the file size in photoshop by making it minimum quality. Of course, this means the photos have lines where there is a change in colour (ie most noticeable in the sky when there is a soft gradient)

Is there a way to compress the file size to something that low without making them look so yuck? :supersad:

Keep the quality high (12 is max, so try around 10?), but decrease the size; you could resize them so the longest edge is 1000 pix, at 200dpi for example, that should size them down a bit. Also the file type matters; jpeg is probably the easiest way to go.

My bf runs a cycling site and takes photos for it on our dslr. For the site to load quickly the images have to be around 300kb, so when we edit them we change the file size in photoshop by making it minimum quality. Of course, this means the photos have lines where there is a change in colour (ie most noticeable in the sky when there is a soft gradient)

Is there a way to compress the file size to something that low without making them look so yuck? :supersad:

Just resize them. You'd be surprised at what size you can get away with on a website.

Adding to what the other two have posted, imo the best option is to resize and save as jpeg BUT chose the quality you want depending on what the picture needs. Making the same picture a little smaller but keeping jpeg compression quality at 85% rather than 70% makes for a much better picture.