10314980733_2c70abd4c6_c.jpg

My dad, diagnosed with lung cancer this month. so i've decided to put away the excuses about gear, and lighting, and whatever else i think i need and just shoot. i like how it turned out.

I like how it looks, too. I'm sorry for your Dad and for you.

My dad, diagnosed with lung cancer this month. so i've decided to put away the excuses about gear, and lighting, and whatever else i think i need and just shoot. i like how it turned out.

great shot, and I'm sorry to hear about your dad :(

--

this is a view of the fire from my house last night. so weird!

10338646766_c56262e8a8_z.jpg

Lithgow Fires by mipanda, on Flickr

Really like this, nice portrait shot, very natural relaxed feel to it.

Sorry to hear that about your dad.

I like how it looks, too. I'm sorry for your Dad and for you.

adds, love that shot. I wish your father well!

great shot, and I'm sorry to hear about your dad :(

Really like this, nice portrait shot, very natural relaxed feel to it.

Sorry to hear that about your dad.

Thanks guys, means a lot. it's a tough one, must remind myself not to watch Jared Polins video about why he teaches people about photography (again). had me in tears. if you know of him, he has a great photo series documenting his mothers battle with cancer and a video with it. i don't think i'll do anything like that, but i'll take some nice portraits over the next few weeks.

oh and night #2 of nightclub photography was much more successful, not in terms of sales, but after playing around with the settings the shots are looking much better.

Lovely shot. Best wishes to you and your family.

-----------------------------------------

35m14bp.jpg

^ a bit underexposed and i probably wouldn't have applied the blur, but still looks cool.

i'm having trouble deciding on what lens to buy next. thoughts on 17-55mm f/2.8, anyone? or 24-105mm f/4? I have a pancake and 18-55mm kit lens currently. I'll probably sell them both if I get the 17-55mm.

p.s. Amazon U.S. has good deals on both lenses right now.

welp got the 24-105 per my friend's suggestion. There goes my paycheck. :LOL::( 24-70 is now high on my wishlist but I figure the 24-105 will be good for festivals. :) In the meantime I need to do more research on lenses.

lol I've just been going through the thread and Matthijs recommended me the 24-70 a while back. does your 24-105 get much use nowadays, Matt?

Silhouette that shit :) it's more pink and purple. Makes a good lock screen photo on my iPhone

haha I usually end up desaturating but I'll try that. I'll have to get more creative when nearly the whole gig is drenched in red light. :noey:

I like how this one turned out.

10027992343_446ddf8d22_z.jpg

Gary Clark Jr. @ The Wiltern by Lucy (嘉莉), on Flickr

Edited by polythenelucy

My 24-105 got sold to get my 24-70, but it's not per se a bad lens. I would've gone for the 17-55 if you're not planning to upgrade to full frame. Probably the best zoomlens to have on a crop frame body, as you still have quite some wide-angle possibilities.

There's nothing left to do for you but to upgrade to full frame :chuckle:

I've never saw the point of them - what have they done with collections?

Oh inn, what a sheltered life you live in.

Essentially folders are shite for organising stuff. It's all grouped by date but maybe you want all photos of a band, or all photos of a person. You can do that with collections. It's essentially sets on Flickr.

welp got the 24-105 per my friend's suggestion. There goes my paycheck. :LOL::( 24-70 is now high on my wishlist but I figure the 24-105 will be good for festivals. :) In the meantime I need to do more research on lenses.

lol I've just been going through the thread and Matthijs recommended me the 24-70 a while back. does your 24-105 get much use nowadays, Matt?

haha I usually end up desaturating but I'll try that. I'll have to get more creative when nearly the whole gig is drenched in red light. :noey:

I like how this one turned out.

10027992343_446ddf8d22_z.jpg

Gary Clark Jr. @ The Wiltern by Lucy (嘉莉), on Flickr

You're usually screwed when it's solid red, mine wasn't so I was lucky.

My 24-105 got sold to get my 24-70, but it's not per se a bad lens. I would've gone for the 17-55 if you're not planning to upgrade to full frame. Probably the best zoomlens to have on a crop frame body, as you still have quite some wide-angle possibilities.

There's nothing left to do for you but to upgrade to full frame :chuckle:

I know. :chuckle: I'll be on the lookout for that too. Yeah the more I think about it, the more I wish got the 17-55. I do love wide angles and would've used the crap out of the f2.8. 55 does feel limiting though. 24-105 was cheaper and has a higher resale value so hopefully I can sell it on CL if it's not right for me.

Oh inn, what a sheltered life you live in.

Essentially folders are shite for organising stuff. It's all grouped by date but maybe you want all photos of a band, or all photos of a person. You can do that with collections. It's essentially sets on Flickr.

But that's what sets are for! I like chronological ordering anyway. Saying that not used Flickr properly in ages boo.

_DSC0466_zpsfd544310.jpg

Erm... :erm:

On a more serious note, Japan is a photographer's paradise - seriously need to get some of my favourite photos so far uploaded at some point - the only problem is that while the whether stays so good, I don't have time because I'm always out taking more and more, haha! I need a good solid week or two of torrential rain and I don't think I'm going to get it for a while yet, haha! I've been here a month and already filled up at least a third of the space I had remaining on my laptop. Definitely going to need to buy an external around Christmas. :chuckle:

In the meantime, before I get to some serious shots, here's another of the local wildlife desperately trying to get into my pictures, haha! :LOL:

_DSC0116_zps15bb8877.jpg

_DSC0466_zpsfd544310.jpg

Erm... :erm:

On a more serious note, Japan is a photographer's paradise - seriously need to get some of my favourite photos so far uploaded at some point - the only problem is that while the whether stays so good, I don't have time because I'm always out taking more and more, haha! I need a good solid week or two of torrential rain and I don't think I'm going to get it for a while yet, haha! I've been here a month and already filled up at least a third of the space I had remaining on my laptop. Definitely going to need to buy an external around Christmas. :chuckle:

In the meantime, before I get to some serious shots, here's another of the local wildlife desperately trying to get into my pictures, haha! :LOL:

_DSC0116_zps15bb8877.jpg

Just do some quality photo editorial work. As years go by you'll learn to trash so much more photos in order to showcase your best work and to save time and resources.