L.

I really enjoyed the gig. Was on right side of barrier, about halfway along, and was very disappointed about the amount of time Matt spent on that side...maybe ten seconds. He needs to sort that out.

Sorry to say, I thought the crowd was exceptionally shit, it really was. I literally didn't feel anyone up against me for the duration of the gig, WTF? I sincerely hope the crowds at the rest of the gigs are a little more enthusiastic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVyMIvd5_CE

Yeah I agree. Amazing show, I was about 4-5 people away from the barrier, by the turn. But the audience, as you put it, were exceptionally shit.

Here is the setlist picture that I took last night. Sorry I couldn't upload it or answer the questions in the live gig thread. I'm a n00b as far as smart phones go and kept doing everything wrong :$

8793041435_ed49bddf0b.jpg

Thanks, because as all the car parks were full by around 7pm (even the ones that wanted to charge £20 to go on to the grass via a suspension-wrecking kerb), by the time we found a space outside the New Parkgate Hotel, we ran in as SBH was starting. Just as well as the gig wasn't at capacity otherwise it would have been a total disaster.

The first drum and bass was Lightning Bolt's 'Dracula Mountain', which I first heard at Earl's Court in 2004.

The stage set was awesome, although a lot of the back visuals were hard to see from Block 20, which was level with the front of the stage. But you could certainly feel the heat blast from the power station, which was nice since the evening was so bloody cold. I don't know if the cold is what flattened the crowd, or the empty seats, or the problems with the sound for the first few songs, but it never really seemed to get going and stay buzzing. Having said that, Guiding Light and Follow Me can squash even a Madrid crowd (why is there no stadium gig in my favourite city??? :mad:), and as far as I'm concerned have no place in a stadium set. By contrast, Blackout and Unintended just work.

Looking forward to two more this weekend. :dance:

I agree about crowd being poorgenerally, but that is a theme that has been going on for a few years now, nothing new. I like being one of the most hardcore fans. At Reading 2011 I was the only person goin nuts 10 rows back, and and 13 year olf kid said I made his first Muse gig amazing.

Notable things about this gig were that there were a few 'must plays' that finally got ommtied, notably Hysteria and New Born. Also Butterflies & Hurricanes has not been gone too long. To be honest, although I don't mind these tracks being replaced even though i love them, I would much rather see the back of Supermassive Black Hole, Starlight and Feeling Good instead - I guess there still too commercially popular to drop whereas people don't know B&H as well. It seems each tour more classic oldies have to make way for not just newies but 'new oldies' / 'old newies' :(

I agree about crowd being poorgenerally, but that is a theme that has been going on for a few years now, nothing new. I like being one of the most hardcore fans. At Reading 2011 I was the only person goin nuts 10 rows back, and and 13 year olf kid said I made his first Muse gig amazing.

Notable things about this gig were that there were a few 'must plays' that finally got ommtied, notably Hysteria and New Born. Also Butterflies & Hurricanes has not been gone too long. To be honest, although I don't mind these tracks being replaced even though i love them, I would much rather see the back of Supermassive Black Hole, Starlight and Feeling Good instead - I guess there still too commercially popular to drop whereas people don't know B&H as well. It seems each tour more classic oldies have to make way for not just newies but 'new oldies' / 'old newies' :(

B&H will get played

Despite what people are saying about the crowd, Chris' side was pretty good. I was on the barrier halfway down the walkway which was the ideal spot as Matt and Chris both performed the majority of Blackout, Unintended and Madness from there as well as constantly walking up and down.

But its true I was on the barrier and had space to jump which makes me think the crowd were less active than usual, maybe people were just keeping well spaced? My sixth time, Deadstar, Unintended and Blackout as well as making contact with Matt and Chris and getting close to Dom made it by far the best gig i've been to. Not to mention the amazing visuals/set/props :D

That's because all the druggies were moshing behind me being total twats. All I could smell was weed all night.

Yup, same. We must have been standing pretty close, as I was right beside the mosh pit, which was kinda funny, it was like watching kids mosh in slow motion... majority I think were stoned. Another annoying aspect was hardly any of them seemed to know the lyrics to most of their older material, they were looking at me as if I had two heads when i was jumping like a maniac to Dead Star and singing all the words... I think last night audience lacked the...older hardcore fans... it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of them were there just there for Dizzee... maybe im wrong. BUT yeah... apart from the lame audience, it was an amazing, epic night!

Coventry was the sixth time i'd seen Muse and although I hate to use the word 'worst' I enjoyed the other times a lot more. The main reason being the crowd. I didnt get there super early but still managed to be about 15ft from the front barrier on Chris' side, quite close to where Matt and Chris stood on the walkway for a few songs.

The performace was pretty great despite a few setlist issues, the thing that really let it down was the crowd. Very few people knew a lot of the songs. Me and my friend were the only ones singing to Sunburn and the only ones even moving to Dead Star (very pleased this was in the set, always wanted to see this). One guy in front of me was wearing a 2nd Law t-shirt and sang his heart out to Follow Me but didnt know any of the words to Starlight! Really?

Wish I had been about 5 - 10ft in front where I could see the more hardcore fans going crazy for Dead Star and bouncing around to every song. The people I was with only jumped around to KoC and Pib. It didnt stop me and my friend though, we got a few strange looks singing and dancing to every song which kind of baffled me....it's like people thought we were weird for actually knowing all of Muse's stuff. If you're going to Emirates make sure you are standing around hardcore fans who will get into it properly, most of the Coventry crowd were pretty poor. Aside from that though, fun night!

Where were you stood? I was at Reading and there were people going nuts both in front of and behind me throughout the gig.

I almost died from the crush at Reading.

I was on the barrier and as far back as I could see (probably about 25-30 rows), there was just a mesh of arms and other body parts flailing about as well as several other mosh pits.

As with some of the previous posts this was probably the more sedate of my 3 Muse experiences. But I felt the crowd around me were getting more into it as the night went on! I'm thinking quite a lot of the crowd were relatively new to Muse or hadn't been to a gig before!

I was about 5 foot behind the end of the mid walkway.

Again, as stated above, I was the only one in my area who started going nuts as soon as the likes of Bliss or Dead Star hit!

Is anyone else from the Ricoh gig going to Manchester on the 1st June? I will be and I'm hoping to get in among some other strong fans for a bit more of a dynamic night!

Of note: the crowd did not but a damper on my night at all :) :)

Archived