Madness vs. Undisclosed Desires

Jedi of Cydonia

Is Madness or Undisclosed Desires Better?  

209 members have voted

1. 1. Is Madness or Undisclosed Desires Better?

• Madness
    • Undisclosed Desires

I dislike Madness because it's doesn't surprise me. It sounds like a bad parody of modern pop - i.e. it's only innovative to Muse itself - whereas TIRO was innovative in a much broader context.

Complexity is often mistaken for innovation (or surprise), although there is some obvious overlap... something really simple but innovative can be initially complex to the listener due to that very fact.

All in all, I don't see the point of really trying to make an effort to "move on" as a band, into territory that has long been explored by others... Makes you a cheap copy.

What's your point? If you wanna talk about innovative, Madness is a hundred times more innovative than TIRO in my opinion. And I clearly wasn't talking about innovation and I really don't think I mistook (?) the two things. You gave me a reason as to why you don't like madness and, apparently, it's got nothing to do with the song being simple production wise. That's what I was trying to say. I don't think (at least) the majority of the people dislike it because it's simple.

I don't mean to squash people's opinions or anything but I hate how so many people on this board are just like:

MORE HEAVINESS! EVERYTHING HAS TO BE LOUDER AND ROCK HARD! LIKE DEAD STAR WHICH IS OBVIOUSLY THE GREATEST MUSE SONG! EW A SONG IS QUIET AND DOESN'T HAVE MUCH GUITAR IN IT! THAT = BORING!

(Exaggerating obviously, but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people on these boards have those opinions. And that makes me feel sorry for them if they do.)

I mean maybe I'm wrong and people have different reasons for disliking Madness, or Undisclosed Desires or quiet Muse songs but it just seems like everyone seems to think that Muse is only good at making loud riff filled epic guitar songs.

I don't mean to squash people's opinions or anything but I hate how so many people on this board are just like:

MORE HEAVINESS! EVERYTHING HAS TO BE LOUDER AND ROCK HARD! LIKE DEAD STAR WHICH IS OBVIOUSLY THE GREATEST MUSE SONG! EW A SONG IS QUIET AND DOESN'T HAVE MUCH GUITAR IN IT! THAT = BORING!

(Exaggerating obviously, but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people on these boards have those opinions. And that makes me feel sorry for them if they do.)

I mean maybe I'm wrong and people have different reasons for disliking Madness, or Undisclosed Desires or quiet Muse songs but it just seems like everyone seems to think that Muse is only good at making loud riff filled epic guitar songs.

Be careful, now the trend on the boards is to hate people, who think that people prefer heavy songs to calm songs.

Live, that IS the case most of the time. For me, slow music has to be twice as good as fast/heavy songs to be interesting live.

I've been to loads of gigs where I didn't like the music that much, but it was still enjoyable simply because it was easy to headbang/jump around/dance/mosh to.

Slow songs needs something extra to make up for the lack of all of the above.

Live, that IS the case most of the time. For me, slow music has to be twice as fast/heavy songs to be interesting live.

I've been to loads of gigs where I didn't like the music that much, but it was still enjoyable simply because it was easy to headbang/jump around/dance/mosh to.

Slow songs needs something extra to make up for the lack of all of the above.

I respectfully disagree.

Last year I went into a Bon Iver show thinking it was going to be kinda boring to listen to/watch live but it really wasn't. All the musicians on stage had absolutely fantastic musicianship and it was to joy just to watch them even if you weren't headbanging/jumping around. Also on one song (The Wolves) there was great crowd interaction singing a part of the song starting very quiet and building up louder and louder.

Slow/soft music can definitely be interesting live. I think for a band like Muse, there just has to be a good balance of both kinds of music.

I respectfully disagree.

Last year I went into a Bon Iver show thinking it was going to be kinda boring to listen to/watch live but it really wasn't. All the musicians on stage had absolutely fantastic musicianship and it was to joy just to watch them even if you weren't headbanging/jumping around. Also on one song (The Wolves) there was great crowd interaction singing a part of the song starting very quiet and building up louder and louder.

Slow/soft music can definitely be interesting live. I think for a band like Muse, there just has to be a good balance of both kinds of music.

I don't think you got what I said at all.

EDIT: Which might be because I forgot some words. Edited now.

What? Many people here love soft songs, but that doesn't mean madness will be good live. And what Sippe said is the case for Muse. Their heavier songs are much more fun live.

I certainly agree that heavier =/= better. In terms of studio versions I definitely prefer the quieter, more subdued and/or poppier songs over the heavy/bombastic ones, which often seem too under (or over) produced and lacking the energy and sense of excitement that make the live versions so good. For instance the studio version of Stockholm Syndrome has sounded pretty flat to me ever since I heard it live (which was fucking amazing).

I think Madness could actually work quite well in a stadium/arena gig, though I could be totally wrong. I suppose we'll know in about a day's time.

Archived